Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8 new bridges for Cork

• 15-05-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Saw this head line on the front of the Echo on Monday. Didn't read it and I haven't seen a thing on line about it.

Anyone know what the full story is ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

It's the new City Development Plan.
    http://www.corkcitydevelopmentplan.ie/

It mention about eight new bridges to be developed either in the medium or long term.

There will be two bridges at the Beamish site connected to the events centre.
    There are three bridges planned in the docklands. One near Pairc Ui Chaoimh, another at Water Street by the train station and maybe a third near Kennedy Quay.
    There is a footbridge planned for Merchant's Quay across to the back of the Metropole.
    A bridge from UCC's lab place across to the Mercy.
    I think UCC are planning another bridge in their own grounds near the main gates. Forget what it's called though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

We are a city built on islands so with all the new developments, it stands to reason we need more bridges. I am really impressed by some of the locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I managed fine with the old bridges...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I managed fine with the old bridges...

Those 3 new bridges downstream of the city centre will be fantastic. Will open up the socks and Blackrock to the other side of the river and will take loads of traffic out of the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Saw this head line on the front of the Echo on Monday. Didn't read it and I haven't seen a thing on line about it.

Anyone know what the full story is ?

Long term just like the proposed Cork to Limerick motorway, Cork gets the crumbs im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The three bridges proposed for along the marina area would be great; was just saying the other day that it would be great not only for traffic but for people on the north side (like myself ;)) who would like to go running along the marina, could just run down to the lower road and then across the bridge to the marina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

One of the lower ones down by the marina is badly needed esp once the albert quay site is opened for business. The site that lost out to bemish site is now earmaked for office development so could lead to serious conjestion at that end of town.Hopefully one if the lower ones get prioitized.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Does this mean boats will no longer come up to the Quays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dewdrop wrote: »
    Does this mean boats will no longer come up to the Quays?

Unless they build lifting /swinging bridges, yes.
    I'd miss having ships and yachts in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Those 3 new bridges downstream of the city centre will be fantastic. Will open up the socks and Blackrock to the other side of the river and will take loads of traffic out of the city centre.

A footbridge of some sort would be fantastic between blackrock/ Mahon. Although dunno how feasible one would be with ships coming in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

this would all tie in with the remaining parts of the inner port being moved to ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

That's an awful lot of ship activity disappearing; there's the commercial ships alongside the old odlums building and quite a few visiting navy vessels, research vessels, trawlers, yachts etc. Are they building a visitor-friendly marina somewhere to accommodate them? Near parc ui chaoimh perhaps?

I'd much prefer seeing ships and boats in town rather than facilitating someone's running pastime. We're losing something intrinsic to the city here.

EDIT: had a rummage "all bridges are intended to have opening spans", thought the H&S brigade would scupper that, thankfully not.

I'd much prefer seeing ships and boats in town rather than facilitating someone's running pastime. We're losing something intrinsic to the city here.

EDIT: had a rummage "all bridges are intended to have opening spans", thought the H&S brigade would scupper that, thankfully not.

Is that a dig at my comment?? If it is, absolutely no need for it.

Calm down a small bit, buddy.

Calm down a small bit, buddy.

Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Can't we build a bridge?

*couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Does anyone have a link to a map of location for the bridges down the marina? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Does anyone have a link to a map of location for the bridges down the marina? thanks

This was the proposed Eastern Gateway bridge at Tivoli linking the Tivoli skew bridge across.

Cork-Eastern-Gateway-Bridge-01.jpg

This was to be the one at Water Street.

Water_Street_bridge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

This is all pie in the sky stuff. The city council/NRA can't even get funding for the much needed Dunkettle Interchange upgrade or the N28 upgrade both of which are absolutely vital for the Cork economy. We'll be waiting a long time to get any of the mentioned bridges built. When it comes to getting funding for major infrastructure the city of Cork is getting screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

This map was from when Howard Holdings were planning their development near Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

hDQy2rk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

At least Cork City, unlike certain other Irish urban settlements : cough: Dublin & Galway actually has far-sighted planning and medium and long term plans.

It's one of the few parts of Ireland that has had decent planning with the unfortunately named CLUTS plan and the others that have followed.

Development around the city is also not sprawled and we actually have a green belt and satellite towns. If this were Dublin you'd have continious housing estates from Wilton to Ballincollig and probably from Montenotte to Carrigtwohil and some kind of sprawling mess around Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

We need more water taxis and river ferries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We need more water taxis and river ferries

Rowers don't like them -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Rowers don't like them -

Whatever about rowers, I don't think it would be economic to operate them in such a small city, unless it was tourist summer river cruise, which operates already iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Even the addition of the Skew Bridge next to Pairc Ui Chaoimh would be a massive addition to the city. It would remove a lot of traffic going from Ballintemple/Blachrock/Mahon through the tunnel and also away from that horrible junction at Mahon Point. Hopefully Cork City will see this one at least go ahead very soon.

Even the addition of the Skew Bridge next to Pairc Ui Chaoimh would be a massive addition to the city. It would remove a lot of traffic going from Ballintemple/Blachrock/Mahon through the tunnel and also away from that horrible junction at Mahon Point. Hopefully Cork City will see this one at least go ahead very soon.

True so many areas of the city and suburbs would benefit from that one bridge...should be an urgent one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Would that not involve diverting a lot of traffic through the planned Marina Public Park? (I'm not too familiar with that part of the city)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

moyners wrote: »
    Would that not involve diverting a lot of traffic through the planned Marina Public Park? (I'm not too familiar with that part of the city)

Not through the proposed park AFAIK, if it is ever built, it will be located at the opposite side of PUC away from the river Lee. The road to the city centre is pretty good and should be capable of handling increased traffic. The biggest problems from a new bridge next to PUC would be a lot more traffic in Ballintemple Village and Blackrock Village at the end of the Marina. Both of these can get a bit blocked with busses or large trucks at the moment so further works may be needed or else some traffic restrictions at both these spots.

There definitely would be knock on effects from a new bridge to be considered, but overall I think it would be very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

moyners wrote: »

The plans for the Atlantic Quarter is to turn the Monaghan Road into the main thoroughfare to cater for traffic coming over this bridge and heading into the city centre. The Centre Park Road would instead be the focal point of the entire Atlantic Quarter development. Have a look at the render below.

IMO, this swing bridge is vital and is probably more important than the other 2 further upstream. This bridge would spur on the docklands development.

img1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

More bridges are a bad idea, it's hard enough to keep the norries out of the southside.

That bridge will cost at least 50m i'd say. Can't see it with an FG government any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any word on the Skew Bridge? Would be a great addition to the city.

It isn't funded in the current capital programme up to 2021. Gonna be at least the next decade or into the 2030s before this bridge gets the go ahead.

Just to recap, I believe that in addition to this bridge, there are also plans for a further 2 tipping bridges from Horgans Quay across to Kennedy's quay. I would think both are one direction, with the West most going South only (carrying on from Water Street and the other nearer the city centre going the opposite direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Image of the new Merchant's Quay footbridge here:
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/new-e3m-footbridge-planned-cork-city/2540244/

It's very, very uninspiring.

• Advertisement

Hardly a dire necessity.
    I don't see how it will 'open up' retail spaces in McCurtain st. very few retailers of anything there, mainly restaurants/take aways and pubs. A few second hand, I mean 'vintage' shops that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

That bridge would save a maximum of four minutes walking. What an absolute waste of money that would be.

Waste of money... silversprings to the marina should be the maim focus to get done.when the new development down by sextant is up and running traffic wil be mental

Waste of money... silversprings to the marina should be the maim focus to get done.when the new development down by sextant is up and running traffic wil be mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I love bridges as much as the next man, but I'd prefer if money was put into fixing the roads. They're in absolute shhit. Potholes everywhere. Not good enough for a city, tbh.

• Advertisement

Hardly a dire necessity.
    I don't see how it will 'open up' retail spaces in McCurtain st. very few retailers of anything there, mainly restaurants/take aways and pubs. A few second hand, I mean 'vintage' shops that's about it.

Isn't that the point though?

Isn't that the point though?

I don't see how one lousy footbridge which saves maybe one or two mins walking is going to do all this at any rate.

I don't see how one lousy footbridge which saves maybe one or two mins walking is going to do all this at any rate.

It opens out the end of Parnell place by the bus station. Much like the bridge at the end of corn market Street. Should create more footfall on PP and Patrick's quay etc. Some nice spots on pipes quay now by that bridge as a result.

It opens out the end of Parnell place by the bus station. Much like the bridge at the end of corn market Street. Should create more footfall on PP and Patrick's quay etc. Some nice spots on pipes quay now by that bridge as a result.

There's a bit more of a walkaround distance for Pope's Quay to be fair.

Money could be better spent elsewhere than building this new bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's very, very uninspiring.
    That's not the actual design, the tender includes design work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

??????

There's a bridge literally right beside the bus station.

I think this is a massive waste of money.

There's a bit more of a walkaround distance for Pope's Quay to be fair.

Money could be better spent elsewhere than building this new bridge.

I agree with that. The bridge isn't vital, but it would revitialize that part of the city. I work on Maccurtain street myself and it's definitely a lot busier and safer than it has been in the last 10 years or so. The bridge would just give it a final push. Patrick's Quay would get a nice boost as well.

??????

There's a bridge literally right beside the bus station.

I think this is a massive waste of money.

There is, but this bridge is more about creating another route for shoppers etc. making another loop will bring more footfall to Parnell Place and Maccurtain street as there will somewhere else to go conveniently instead of along that dump on Merchant's quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't get the position of that bridge at all.

Sure there's nothing on merchant's quay except a redbrick wall, and a side entrance to dunnes is it? Any shoppers on foot wouod be coming from patrick street, and there is patrick's bridge right there.

I get the use for it on the other side maybe it would be handy for there, but bridges are most useful when they connect TWO places on either side. But connecting a brick wall to a delapidated street... why?

And as for opening up the bus station or parnell place. The bloody bus station is in the wrong spot in the city entirely. The bus station should be beside the train station (or the trains brought down to the buses). what other country does this kind of weird planning, where there is no connection between rail and bus? It's so weird.

And in nearly every city I've been in, the bus and rail stations are notoriously dodgey. Favourite Hangouts for junkies and prostitutes. It's the same here, so sticking a footbridge in front of it is just going to be an escape route / pickup zone.

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't get the position of that bridge at all.

Sure there's nothing on merchant's quay except a redbrick wall, and a side entrance to dunnes is it? Any shoppers on foot wouod be coming from patrick street, and there is patrick's bridge right there.

I get the use for it on the other side maybe it would be handy for there, but bridges are most useful when they connect TWO places on either side. But connecting a brick wall to a delapidated street... why?

It's Parnell Place that will be opened up. As it is, the only reason you are walking at that end of Parnell Place is to go to the bus station. Creating another walking route at that junction gives people more reason to use Parnell Place. (take my popes quay example earlier)

Pedestrians will save a lot of time using a Patricks St-Maylor st-Parnell Place-Maccurtain st route. It will also enable shoppers to loop around and back to Patrick st (apparently shoppers hate back tracking on themselves). This sort of pedestrian routing has been a major element of Urbanism for many years now.

And as for opening up the bus station or parnell place. The bloody bus station is in the wrong spot in the city entirely. The bus station should be beside the train station (or the trains brought down to the buses). what other country does this kind of weird planning, where there is no connection between rail and bus? It's so weird.

And in nearly every city I've been in, the bus and rail stations are notoriously dodgey. Favourite Hangouts for junkies and prostitutes. It's the same here, so sticking a footbridge in front of it is just going to be an escape route / pickup zone.

no argument with you there. In many ways the Bus Station is quite isolated from the rest of town, with very few shopfronts or businesses on Parnell Place and Merchant's Quay. This definitely enables the more anti-social parts of society to congegrate. The way Merchant's quay was designed killed Parnell Place. Instead of busy shopfronts it was left with a dark car park entrance and two goods yards. Just asking for trouble with that.

Increasing footfall from just bus passengers and junkies should help clean the place up a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement