Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

No, the site claims to be making nothing out of it, so they're not going to stand over the vouchers. I asked.

Too bad, it's something I would like to support but its just a little too risky for me. Will continue to support those doing takeaway for now.

Captain America's is back open again, unfortunately dont have their Philly cheese steak on the takeaway menu, an old favourite for me. Got a cajun chicken burger that was on point, that sauce is beautiful, completely made the meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Joes & Bros back open this weekend for takeaway brunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm really missing Iyer's and Soba.
    TBH, we rarely eat anywhere else apart from home - except for rare occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm really missing Iyer's and Soba.
    TBH, we rarely eat anywhere else apart from home - except for rare occasions.

Soba in Blackpool are open for takeaway only if you wanted to scratch the itch!

Salty wrote: »
    Soba in Blackpool are open for takeaway only if you wanted to scratch the itch!

Does that one do all the soup noodles and more Chinese stuff?
    Their "Asian Street Food" menu does nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I have no idea sorry, I like Asian Street Food :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wouldn't mind some of their Tendon Noodle Soup!

Wouldn't mind some of their Tendon Noodle Soup!

That's exactly what we are missing.

Or the spicy mung bean noodle soup (it's crazy hot but addictive - think tears, snots, coughing, sweating etc - but 5 minutes later, your mouth doesn't hurt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

A little off topic perhaps but .... as long as the english market is open i can happy live without restaurants (no disrespect to them - i feel sorry for business owners and staff).. would be lost without fresh fish though.. love Ballycotton Seafoods..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Just ordered a cook at home box from west cork burger. 8 burgers, sauces, rashers, sauce, gherkins, buns delivered for 40 bucks. A fiver per burger, and can be cooked fresh on the BBQ tomorrow - will report!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

RINO87 wrote: »
    Just ordered a cook at home box from west cork burger. 8 burgers, sauces, rashers, sauce, gherkins, buns delivered for 40 bucks. A fiver per burger, and can be cooked fresh on the BBQ tomorrow - will report!

Pricey enough for diy but if its nice the convenience and novelty would be worth it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

K.Cs is back with a delivery service. Stripped down menu and only delivers within 2.5km of their location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Apparently people were ordering to random houses in the vicinity and then waiting outside to collect their order. Madness.

Takes about 2 hours to get an order through as well.

With a delivery service , you'll get all the regulars , as well as all the people who would go but are put off by the que. They'll be doing more custom than if the shop was open. The system cant handle the sheer amount or orders.

It would be handy if the shop was open to balance things out a bit

sporina wrote: »
    A little off topic perhaps but .... as long as the english market is open i can happy live without restaurants (no disrespect to them - i feel sorry for business owners and staff).. would be lost without fresh fish though.. love Ballycotton Seafoods..

I got fresh fish delivered to my house today from a company I spotted on fb during the week, I've frozen it but my God the salmon fillets are huge,also got some fish cakes. Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I wonder are they going to start doing the dial a pint service in Cork?

fin12 wrote: »
    I wonder are they going to start doing the dial a pint service in Cork?

I'd say it would do very well if someone did it,I'd definitely order if only for the novelty factor, every now and then I get a mad mind for a pint,it would be fabulous in this weather.

BruteStock wrote: »
    Apparently people were ordering to random houses in the vicinity and then waiting outside to collect their order. Madness.

Takes about 2 hours to get an order through as well.

With a delivery service , you'll get all the regulars , as well as all the people who would go but are put off by the que. They'll be doing more custom than if the shop was open. The system cant handle the sheer amount or orders.

It would be handy if the shop was open to balance things out a bit

They need some type of queue with delivery slots. We were going to get it tonight. Will probably have to order at 5 to get it by 7

It's completely mental how a chipper can create such a fuss.
    KCs is grand, like, but really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

I find it a bit hyped up. Nicer chippers out there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Pricey enough for diy but if its nice the convenience and novelty would be worth it for me.

Got the west cork burger box delivered yesterday and actually found it pretty good value. Everything in the box was top quality and fresh... Plus the burgers were massive! You get all the stuff to make 8 burgers so it works out at a fiver each including delivery.... DIY doesn't bother me, so I found it good value. I know others just might not have the time to cook etc and that might make it seem not as good value.

We didn't fry/steam the burgers as you would get them in town, but threw them on (a proper charcoal one!) the barbecue and they were absolutely savage...
    Four of us had two burgers each and were stuffed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A bit OT, but I've been procuring my food from Neighbourfood recently. The collection point is just around the corner on Barrack Street from where I live.

This evening, I'm going to collect a rye bread with pork terrine and sauerkraut.

I find it a bit hyped up. Nicer chippers out there!!

Yeah, it's grand. Their burgers aren't great but they do nice pittas. There's plenty better out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    A bit OT, but I've been procuring my food from Neighbourfood recently. The collection point is just around the corner on Barrack Street from where I live.

This evening, I'm going to collect a rye bread with pork terrine and sauerkraut.

Wife got me the gubeen chorizo in her collection. It didn't make it to fridge, inhaled it. Delicious it was.

More a cult or sect then a chipper IMO..... A food version of Tesla or apple..... :p

Wowburger are after popping up on Deliveroo- how is that? They’re closed ages at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Wowburger are after popping up on Deliveroo- how is that? They’re closed ages at this stage.

I saw that too and found it very strange. Checked their FB to see if it was legit and yep, they are definitely delivering in Cork.
    They’re closed well over a year, if not two years at this point so it would make you wonder how long their lease was to say they can open the kitchen back up.
    Very very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I saw that too and found it very strange. Checked their FB to see if it was legit and yep, they are definitely delivering in Cork.
    They’re closed well over a year, if not two years at this point so it would make you wonder how long their lease was to say they can open the kitchen back up.
    Very very strange.

Is Captain America’s still in Cork? They’re part of the same group so they could be using Captain A’s kitchen. That’s what they’re doing in Blanchardstown. They were never in Blanch until a couple of weeks ago.

Is Captain America’s still in Cork? They’re part of the same group so they could be using Captain A’s kitchen. That’s what they’re doing in Blanchardstown. They were never in Blanch until a couple of weeks ago.

Ah there we go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

what's this?

sporina wrote: »
    what's this?

You join their network and they supply food from loads of local Cork food producers, like Ballyhoura mushrooms etc. Collect it from Barrack street.

• Advertisement

Tried K.Cs but they weren't taking orders. Got O'Sullivans instead. 15 for burger and chips, burger was huge and delicious , really nice dressing and onion rings in the burger. Chips were a very good sized portion and very nice. Also got a small portion of buffalo wings, very tasty and very big portion for a small . Would recommend. Miles ahead of West Cork Burger

You ring your order ahead, they give you a collection time, then they drop it into the back of your car in their car park. Very good setup

You've actually made my day, can't wait to get their chilli fries tonight after work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

For anyone thinking about KCs it's a minimum order of €20 plus €4.5 delivery plus a processing fee of €0.5 so best case you're spending €25 which is a bit much in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

€4.50 delivery for a 2km journey is taking the p1ss and I say that as a big fan of KC's... Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

€4.50 delivery for a 2km journey is taking the p1ss and I say that as a big fan of KC's... Jesus.

Yeah it's price gouging at it's finest but, they know that people will pay. I tried to order it the other day but my order was rejected and they refunded me the money for order.

Especially when fuel prices have come down..

Kerry25x wrote: »
    You've actually made my day, can't wait to get their chilli fries tonight after work!!

Chilli fries were sadly disappointing because they left out the most important ingredient.....the Wow Burger sauce on top. It's the best bit like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Chilli fries were sadly disappointing because they left out the most important ingredient.....the Wow Burger sauce on top. It's the best bit like.

I hope you got back on to them if that's one of the main parts!

I hope you got back on to them if that's one of the main parts!

Nah, didn't open the box till I got home and I was after a 13 hour shift so didn't want to leave the house again. I'll be sure to check the box before I leave if I get it again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I've been using them as well. They also have a collection point in Douglas in On The Pig's Back. It's basically an online farmers market - most of the producers that you'd see at the normal Douglas and Mahon markets are there. Works out expensive but it means I can get all my fresh food there and only go to the supermarket every 3 weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Has anyone used the takeaway/delivery services at Spitjack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Especially when fuel prices have come down..

It's absolutely nothing to do with fuel, it's paying the delivery person.

The money wouldn't bother me as I've a family who would easily eat a decent amount of grub from there, it's different if it's one creole. :) What would put me off more is their use of gloves in normal times handling both food and money was a little slack, so I wouldn't be super-confident in their containment abilities during a viral outbreak. I also saw the delivery drivers queuing up at the window the other day, almost on top of eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Harika

Planning for Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got it last week, it was delicious. The food was really good and packaged properly to ensure it didn’t get messed up on the journey home.
    The order process was also really straightforward, we were given a specific time to collect the order and when we arrived it was ready to go with minimal contact.
    Will definitely be getting it again this week I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Neighbourhood food also have a collection point in Passage West village On a Thursday

Is there much of a difference between Captain Americas and Wow Burger? Might try one of them tomorrow

Is there much of a difference between Captain Americas and Wow Burger? Might try one of them tomorrow

It's showing on Uber Eats that Elephant and Castle are in Cork. I thought they were only in Dublin?

Can't really find anything showing they have a Cork location apart from Uber Eats or Just Eat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

siblers wrote: »
    It's showing on Uber Eats that Elephant and Castle are in Cork. I thought they were only in Dublin?

Can't really find anything showing they have a Cork location apart from Uber Eats or Just Eat

Wowburger, Elephant and Castle and Captain A’s are all part of the same group and are using Captain A’s as a takeaway location. Dollard & Co is another but I’m not sure if they’ve expanded it to Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement