Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fitzgeralds park run by idiots

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Yup it looks class today! I can see it being pretty nice during the hot June/July days! Optimistic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Most of the park is great.

However the hanging garden is an eye sore and a complete waste of money. Also, the pond badly needs a clean.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Noticed that the playground there is now a hole in the ground with a large mound of earth close-by. I assume it's being refurbished but haven't read anything about it anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

opus wrote: »
    Noticed that the playground there is now a hole in the ground with a large mound of earth close-by. I assume it's being refurbished but haven't read anything about it anywhere?

A new playground.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/work-to-begin-on-new-e600k-fitzgeralds-park-playground/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

opus wrote: »

yup the bright sparks that they are in city council thought it was a GREAT idea to use the summer months to renovate the only children's playground in the city center.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yup the bright sparks that they are in city council thought it was a GREAT idea to use the summer months to renovate the only children's playground in the city center.... :rolleyes:

Ya at the same time as Ballincollig Regional Park is been renovated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is a play area, hole fills with rainwater...sure kids will have a great time in it.
    Everyone wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

hoodwinked wrote: »

Well traffic is queiter in summer and days are longer so no point doing road works at this time of year. May as well use the extra capacity. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is a play area, hole fills with rainwater...sure kids will have a great time in it.
    Everyone wins.

I was just looking at the pictures thinking... is that a sand pit? In dog-walker land?

I wonder how long before that's a litter tray. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is mad, I wish there was someway you could actually stop them from doing this. Great idea but the park there is already lovely maybe could do with a few bits but certainly nothing that would cost this much

Here's what it looks like at the moment.

2cyp4zq.jpg

Not exactly an ideal playground with the nice weather rolling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

all it is missing is the sky garden

Looks like things are moving along, bit faster than I expected tbh.

fyebys.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I read somewhere that it should be finished by the end of July.We'll wait and see.

Thanks for the pic. Timber though? Surprised they are going for that. The ballincollig one is mainly metal, looks like it will last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks for the pic. Timber though? Surprised they are going for that. The ballincollig one is mainly metal, looks like it will last forever.

If the wood is treated properly and maintained regularly it should last. Of course some asshole will probably try to set it on fire within the week.

mordeith wrote: »
    If the wood is treated properly and maintained regularly it should last. Of course some asshole will probably try to set it on fire within the week.

Yup, The slide in douglas was set on fire, and that was plastic.

Thinking about splinters in my toddlers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Thinking about splinters in my toddlers too.

Can't you just get their ears pierced?

Still going strong with the construction of the new playground. Spotted the screen going up for the films in the park as well today.

59vwbl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Every time I bring my kids to Ballincollig Park they start generating static electricity on the hardened plastic slide, is this to do with whatever materials they've used when putting the park together I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I can't believe the negativity in most of the comments on this thread.
    A badly needed brand new playground with a great design is nearly complete and the responses include:
    • wrong time of year
    • not made of plastic
    • not made of metal
    • it'll be set on fire
    • it'll be a dog toilet
    • we don't need a new playground, the old one was grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair the work should have been done during an off peak month.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

I quite like the bandstand, actually, I just wish they'd open that f**ker up to the community and let promoters put local bands of all genres on in there Friday/Saturday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

sok2005 wrote: »
    Every time I bring my kids to Ballincollig Park they start generating static electricity on the hardened plastic slide, is this to do with whatever materials they've used when putting the park together I wonder?

Haha I thought that was just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

gimmick wrote: »

They are doing it now while the weather is nice and dry to get it done quickly....DOH!!!

gimmick wrote: »

I'm all for new playgrounds... Cork doesn't have half enough of them.

But closing the only playground in the city for May, June and July is daft alright.

I'm personally not a fan of sand in any playground. Was in the one in fota at the weekend and kids were in a bad way after it. both ended up with sand kicked in their eyes by another kid, one ended up covered in concealed birdshit trying to make a sandcastle and the other ate some of it. What the fook is wrong with grass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

moyners wrote: »
    Haha I thought that was just me!

Supposedly our best plan is to bring tumble dryer sheets and stuff them in the kids pockets and rub down the slides! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm all for new playgrounds... Cork doesn't have half enough of them.

But closing the only playground in the city for May, June and July is daft alright.

I'm personally not a fan of sand in any playground. Was in the one in fota at the weekend and kids were in a bad way
    after it. both ended up with sand kicked in their eyes by another kid, one ended up covered in concealed birdshit trying to make a sandcastle and the other ate some of it. What the fook is wrong with grass?

Grass doesn't last long in playgrounds-
    To be fair even the soft rubber stuff in our local playground gets a fair beating ( potholes)
    That sand in fota is a dose alright -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Grass doesn't last long in playgrounds-
    To be fair even the soft rubber stuff in our local playground gets a fair beating ( potholes)
    That sand in fota is a dose alright -

Rubber, astroturf, tarmac, concrete, grass.. just about anything that can't be thrown would be better than sand.

Especially in prime dog walkies area like fitzgerald park.

It looks more like woodchips than sand. It still can be thrown of course! Unless it is that strange bonded woodchip/rubber stuff they sometimes use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

whats the latest on the playground peeps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Open sometime in August apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

It looks completely finished. Anyone know when it will be open. This weekend? They said it would take 2 months when they started May weekend. So it should be anytime now.
    There was No one working on it today. So hopefully they'll be taking down the temporary fence soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Couldn't even get the timing right.
    Idiots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Couldn't even get the timing right.
    Idiots!

ah c'mon, cut them some slack, they're 4 weeks early.

ah c'mon, cut them some slack, they're 4 weeks early.

lol, I think that was a joke!

Opened this morning, absolutely amazing! Well done to all concerned.

Opened this morning, absolutely amazing! Well done to all concerned.

Sand?

• Advertisement

Yes, some sand :) , lots of woodchips, and some areas have a rubber surface.

Yes, some sand :) , lots of woodchips, and some areas have a rubber surface.

goddammit! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

goddammit! :(

Sand has no business in a kids playground.
    Other than that the kids were down there today and loved it.
    Well done city council

Wheelchair fail unfortunately. Couldn't get a wheelchair across woodchip surface. Nothing like a crying 5 year old in a wheelchair who wants to get to the play castle to dampen your spirits. I thought this thing was supposed to be accessible? What kind of muscle power do they think a child in a wheelchair has? They went to all the effort with the levels, and then put f-ing wood chip on it.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Wheelchair fail unfortunately. Couldn't get a wheelchair across woodchip surface. Nothing like a crying 5 year old in a wheelchair who wants to get to the play castle to dampen your spirits. I thought this thing was supposed to be accessible? What kind of muscle power do they think a child in a wheelchair has? They went to all the effort with the levels, and then put f-ing wood chip on it.

:(

Disgraceful! Have the council been contacted about this? Surely it wouldn't take much to rectify or make a change to allow accessibility for all for Heavens sakes like.

Yes, you should definitely contact the council about it. Even if they can't/won't change it now, it's going to get a lot of wear and tear and maybe they could change it as part of planned maintenance. The rubber surface would surely work well in place of the woodchips.

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Disgraceful! Have the council been contacted about this? Surely it wouldn't take much to rectify or make a change to allow accessibility for all for Heavens sakes like.

Yes, sent a playground "feedback" letter and a photo of the wheels sunken into the wood chipping surface.

I don't understand how a playground which was specifically designed to be accessible, and was even sponsored by the Bons Secours, ended up with this ridiculous surface.

...And after the clamour there was to get it opened, I can't see them closing it again to change this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yes, sent a playground "feedback" letter and a photo of the wheels sunken into the wood chipping surface.

I don't understand how a playground which was specifically designed to be accessible, and was even sponsored by the Bons Secours, ended up with this ridiculous surface.

...And after the clamour there was to get it opened, I can't see them closing it again to change this.

Do what everyone does who has a problem in Cork, give Neil a ring, he would love to discuss this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

rob316 wrote: »
    Do what everyone does who has a problem in Cork, give Neil a ring, he would love to discuss this.

Hey Presto - guess what they were discussing (for ages) on Neil's show this morning? Not the accessibility issue, mind you, but the fact that the "castle effect" wall prevents continuous visibility of children if you are sitting down.

It was great: lots of women coming on to outdo each other over how safe their children were at the playground. Apparently there are paedos everywhere just salivating at the chance of kidnapping a child from the playground. The super-careful parents are obviously doing a good job though - I have never heard of such an event happening in Cork/Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Herself took the kids there yesterday. Apart from the place being completely crowded she said it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

I have to admit, the dual usage of the Playground/Swimming pool was an ingenious idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement