Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antisocial scum...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

MSVforever wrote: »
    Born and bred in Duisburg! I love my Ruhrpott kip and especially our MSV:)

Are you from that area yourself?;)

I'm from Dortmund, but living in Dublin since 2004 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Just punch the biggest one right in the face and drop them on the ground like a sack of spuds. bet the rest wont be so chirpy. and yes i have doen this, and yes it does work. and yes, the guy i did it to was actually bigger than me, could not take a punch though, and was being a complete scum****e in the cinema, throwing popcorn at a young indian? couple and puring his drink on the seat of the guy in front of him who went to the jacks and was on his own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

How often do you go to the cinema?

I've done it hundreds of times, all with varying results, from it working and people apologizing as they hadn't realized they were so loud, all the way to having a row outside the cinema in a local shop.

Usually people when they see you telling someone to shut up, will join in also and that's when it is most effective.

A quiet night when there is not many there and you tell people to give it a rest with the chatting and that usually has no effect as you will be the only one complaining.

Chair kicking bugs me even more than talking. I am so careful not to kick someone's chair as I know how distracting and highly annoying it is, so I have no idea how people can be so up their own arse as to kick a chair non-stop and even sometimes go so far as to hang their feet over the seat in front of them, that is right beside a seat were someone is sitting, don't they know that you will see this with the corner of your eye and so effect your viewing?

I don't know, inconsideration needs to be kicked out of some people, it's so ingrained.

I don't know what level of little scumbags you're used to dealing with ffs. I remember once some kids called me a c*nt after I refused to give them a cig and I lost the head at them, only for the 3 of them to stand up to me and I ended up bloodied and so did one of them but I could have been kicked to death if a car hadn't stopped.
    There's a breed of little b*stard in Ireland that I've never seen anywhere else, and they're so angry and violent that they wont back down to anyone because they've got nothing to lose and get a buzz out of violence.
    So watch who you're talking to buddy.

I'm talking about probably 16 year olds here by the way.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't know what level of little scumbags you're used to dealing with ffs. I remember once some kids called me a c*nt after I refused to give them a cig and I lost the head at them, only for the 3 of them to stand up to me and I ended up bloodied and so did one of them but I could have been kicked to death if a car hadn't stopped.
    There's a breed of little b*stard in Ireland that I've never seen anywhere else, and they're so angry and violent that they wont back down to anyone because they've got nothing to lose and get a buzz out of violence.
    So watch who you're talking to buddy.

I'm talking about probably 16 year olds here by the way.

Please beleive me when i mean this with no disrespect or any malice, but i would really recommend learning some form of martial arts, it is always a very good thing to know how to defend yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Avoid the cinema. It works for me.

allibastor wrote: »
    Please beleive me when i mean this with no disrespect or any malice, but i would really recommend learning some form of martial arts, it is always a very good thing to know how to defend yourself.

No, I don't intend taking on 3 violent scumbags very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Wow, people do like to use the word "scum" or "scumbag' a lot round here

Tell me, do you have a picture of any certain person in your mind at the point where you use these words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

john47832 wrote: »
    12-14 they were children for god sake - thats what kids do

Are ye being a little dramatic?

only idiot kids with idiot parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tell me, do you have a picture of any certain person in your mind at the point where you use these words?

Don't be so bloody patronising, we all have pretty much the same image in our mind when we hear it, thanks to widespread experiences of having our kids mugged, cars vandalised, homes broken into, elderly parents intimidated, foreign neighbours harassed. Do you get the picture yourself now you self righteous tool??

I do yeah! Can't be bothered going into it though.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »

Don't be so bloody patronising, we all have pretty much the same image in our mind when we hear it, thanks to widespread experiences of having our kids mugged, cars vandalised, homes broken into, elderly parents intimidated, foreign neighbours harassed. Do you get the picture yourself now you self righteous tool??

Thats just it, we dont all have the same image... Your image is most likely based on your previous bad experiences or what u have read in newspapers

We dont all fear and loathe teenagers

Also the name calling is a bit childish, isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats just it, we dont all have the same image... Your image is most likely based on your previous bad experiences or what u have read in newspapers

We dont all fear and loathe teenagers

Also the name calling is a bit childish, isnt it?

About as childish as the patronisation is obnoxious.

I never said anything about teenagers, I know loads of respectful, mature and productive teenagers who are a credit to their upbringing. Im talking about the image people have of 'scumbags' of all ages, and by the way of all backgrounds, who have no problem causing anti-social problems, upsetting people or committing crime of the type described in my post above. Feel free to insert blackguards, urchins or ragamuffins if your sensibilities are offended.

'Your image is most likely based on your previous bad experiences'

Errmmmmm, yes?? In the same way that I know my wife is my wife because Ive had experience of her before....

Larbre34 wrote: »

About as childish as the patronisation is obnoxious.

I never said anything about teenagers, I know loads of respectful, mature and productive teenagers who are a credit to their upbringing. Im talking about the image people have of 'scumbags' of all ages, and by the way of all backgrounds, who have no problem causing anti-social problems, upsetting people or committing crime of the type described in my post above. Feel free to insert blackguards, urchins or ragamuffins if your sensibilities are offended.

'Your image is most likely based on your previous bad experiences'

Errmmmmm, yes?? In the same way that I know my wife is my wife because Ive had experience of her before....

Nobody was actually talking to you, it seems you were offended by someone elses views and decided to lash out by name calling... Ironically similar to a teenager who didnt get his way and is looking for attention.... Some on here may view that as being a "scumbag"

Ha, I never said go out and be batman dude, it's just handy to know as these situations do happen a lot. Only trying to be helpful

Ha, I never said go out and be batman dude, it's just handy to know as these situations do happen a lot. Only trying to be helpful

No offence intended. Well they don't happen a lot to me, I just flipped that time as I've had enough of little scumbags saying/doing whatever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That's one of my shortfalls.
    I'm not a very big and strong guy so if I ever picked up a fight with some scumbag, I'ld more than likely end up getting my ass handed back over to me and would probably then need to take a trip to the AnE.

I really should learn some martial arts. I used to do a bit of Karate a few years ago and liked it a lot but because of college work, had to *temporarily* give it up. Hopefully once I graduate, I can pick it back up and become strong enough to kick some scum's ass, though I always feel its best not to mess with scumbags as they're usually not alone and you never know how far they're prepared to go. These guys have virtually nothing to lose, they thrive on violence and don't give a **** about going to prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

It's about time the parents of scumbags are held responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

If you believe a knowledge of 'Martial arts' is required for a visit to the cinema.
    What's needed for a night out in the city-centre, an AK-47?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

i blame the parents lack of gas chambers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

9959 wrote: »
    If you believe a knowledge of 'Martial arts' is required for a visit to the cinema.
    What's needed for a night out in the city-centre, an AK-47?

They are quite reliable :pac:

I for the most part avoid the cinema, or go at odd times, when you are less likely to be rubbing shoulders with the loud and the restless.

alphabeat wrote: »
    i blame the parents lack of gas chambers

Very unfunny and a cretinous thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

A few days ago I was watching a movie at the cinema. Unfortunately it so happened I was sharing the row with a group of what I could only describe as juvenile scum. Before the movie began they harassed the people around them, fought with the cinema attendant (using distinctively foul language) when asked to move one seat so that a group could get seats in a packed theatre, be a general disturbance throughout the film and when the film was over, they didn't leave before chucking their trash onto some unsuspecting unfortunate cinema goer below.

Although I managed to phase them out during the film and enjoyed the film, later it made me wonder what goes on in the head of these pricks when they partake in such behaviour? Why can't they not behave like responsible citizens and not be such an absolute waste of air and space. And mostly why do we as a society put up with such waste of DNA.

What can be done, if anything can be done, to fix these disordered youth into living a responsible and respectable life?

Why didnt the cinema attendant chuck them out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Took my niece to see Madagascar 3 lat Monday. Two boys(about 8-9 years old) were leaning over the wall from their seats threatening to spit on people as they went past. The shocking part was their mother was sitting beside them!!!! I threw her a look as did others and she then told them to sit down and behave. But why did it take that to make her see their behaviour was unacceptable? These young lads will be in a cinema on their own in a few years....

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Demonique wrote: »
    Why didnt the cinema attendant chuck them out then?

Possibly because he was 18, had been left to fend for himself by his manager and thought he wasn't being paid enough to get involved in any aggro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

And mostly why do we as a society put up with such waste of DNA.

Because most people (particularly in Irish society) are quite cowardly about face to face confrontation and feel more comfortable insulting each other online.

Why didn't you say something to them if it bothered you that much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

jluv wrote: »
    Took my niece to see Madagascar 3 lat Monday. Two boys(about 8-9 years old) were leaning over the wall from their seats threatening to spit on people as they went past. The shocking part was their mother was sitting beside them!!!! I threw her a look as did others and she then told them to sit down and behave. But why did it take that to make her see their behaviour was unacceptable? These young lads will be in a cinema on their own in a few years....

It was once said that giving birth to a child is not a miracle. Raising a child to be quiet in the cinema is a miracle.

I think mine is probably scarred for life having been introduced to cinema etiquette from an early age by a cinema nazi like me. If you even look like you will be talking. I will find you, and I will silence you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cill94 wrote: »
    Because most people (particularly in Irish society) are quite cowardly about face to face confrontation and feel more comfortable insulting each other online.

Why didn't you say something to them if it bothered you that much?

So just giving out to a group of teenage hoodlums is going to fix the problem.
    I just had witnessed them argue with the cinema attendant when told to move across by one seat. I don't think me telling them to behave would had made matters any better. I went to the cinema to enjoy a film and not get into any hassle with a bunch of teenage kids who have no regards for anyone apart from themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I just had witnessed them argue with the cinema attendant when told to move across by one seat. I don't think me telling them to behave would had made matters any better. I went to the cinema to enjoy a film and not get into any hassle with a bunch of teenage kids who have no regards for anyone apart from themselves.

I'm actually suprised sometimes when you call teenagers on something. Being "told off" by an adult actually shocks them into behaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

9959 wrote: »
    Very unfunny and a cretinous thing to say.

dont kid yourself - we are all thinking it .

alphabeat wrote: »
    dont kid yourself - we are all thinking it .

Don't really want an argument about it, but I never found 'jokes' about gas chambers to be funny. Sorry.

I do have a sense of humour and just to prove it I'll tell you my only joke.

Bloke walks into a chipper and says "Fish and chips twice"
    Owner says "I heard you the first time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I just got pissed off a while back myself with these 'plex' type places so I don't go any more. Always a case of parents letting small kids run riot around the place running up and down the aisles or else older kids firing popcorn / being dicks etc. I joined the IFI 3 years ago and it's brilliant. quite a good restaurant / bar, nice surroundings, the cinemas themselves are really nice. If there is something more mainstream I want to see I usually hit the savoy in O'Connell St. never really seen much in the way of antisocial crap there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Teenagers who act hard are also often cowards. As someone just said above me, often when you call them out on their bull**** and put them on show in front of a place like the whole cinema, they get embarrassed and shut up.

Bottom line is I don't think you should be on boards complaining about it if you didn't even attempt to tell them to shut up. Worst case scenario is they don't, so you have nothing to lose.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

They feel the need to outdo each other in groups. Do it for the buzz, they probably have problems at home. Their da probs batters the head off their ma and their mas are probs alcos or something mad. There's always something a miss with youth that are like that. Then there also the other bracket who come from quite good families. So they act like this with a front of bravado in order to rebel against society and possibly feel like they belong to a subcultre or anything at all..?

I often look at stupid clowns like that and think to myself, well that is fantastic. I'm glad you're having fun at my exspense but whilst I can sit here in annoyance, I can at least be smug at my own thought that I myself wouldn't act like that because I have the capacity to respect others.. And not feel the need to rebel at cinema goers, because if that was their big buzz for the day.. Then you can guarentee that they lead pretty ****e lives if that's what they get their thrills from..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

N17er wrote: »
    55" full hd tv, blu-ray player, 2500watts of surround sound, leather recliner armchair, a little spot of downloading or a flick through sky on demand...

Zero scumbags, normal blood pressure, all that's missing is cinema popcorn, microwave stuff just doesn't cut it.
    ...or you could go to the IFI/Lighthouse and not have to wait 7 months for the blu-ray.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Zer0 wrote: »
    They feel the need to outdo each other in groups. Do it for the buzz, they probably have problems at home. Their da probs batters the head off their ma and their mas are probs alcos or something mad. There's always something a miss with youth that are like that. Then there also the other bracket who come from quite good families. So they act like this with a front of bravado in order to rebel against society and possibly feel like they belong to a subcultre or anything at all..?

I often look at stupid clowns like that and think to myself, well that is fantastic. I'm glad you're having fun at my exspense but whilst I can sit here in annoyance, I can at least be smug at my own thought that I myself wouldn't act like that because I have the capacity to respect others.. And not feel the need to rebel at cinema goers, because if that was their big buzz for the day.. Then you can guarentee that they lead pretty ****e lives if that's what they get their thrills from..

Going to be honest with you here, I come from a good family and when I was younger I was the biggest asshole in the cinema, shouting out genital slang from the top of my voice and such. It was fun at the time and myself and my friends got a good laugh out of it. Not to belong to a subculture, rebel against cinema goers or anything like that. Similar to when you would be cheeky to the teacher for a laugh.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

durh thick me ha... i should've thought of the most obvious answer... too much deep thinking hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I go to the cinema a lot - I try to see all the new releases except for films that have received very poor reviews. If I were to buy each ticket, I'd probably spend about €2000 a year on the tickets alone. With Cineworld's unlimited card, it only costs my €240, so Cineworld is clearly the cinema of choice for me In the past 5 years of going to Cineworld a few times a week, I've only had 3 or 4 really annoying experiences.

I agree it isn't a perfect cinema, but I don't think it is the hell hole some people think it is. A few tips:
    - Never EVER see a rom com or a horror on weekend afternoons. EVER.
    - Do try to go early on weekends or late on weekdays.
    - Strategic seating is the key: try to go into the screen about 5 minutes before the start of the movie. This means that the screen should be partially filled. Sit close to people who look like they will watch the movie quietly. Never sit directly in front of a group of teens (especially young teens) or in front of a group of people with loads of popcorn bags and sweet bags. Don't be afriad to move if people sit beside you that may cause annoyance.
    - The first row after the partition in screen 9 is perfect because no one can kick the back of the chair.

However, by far the worst thing about Cineworld compared to other cinemas is the cheap paper popcorn bags instead of the normal cardboard containers. Their rustling can be very distracting at times.

Also, I disagree that "scum" are the only cause of cinema annoyances. When I saw Skyfall, I was sitting near a well dressed couple in their 50s, and the man would not shut up. Same situation when I saw a movie in the IFI.

Advertisement