Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Gain Cool Chaff ok for a Calf

Options
  • 13-08-2010 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi guys

Does anyone know if its ok to feed Gain Cool Chaff to a four month old calf ?? The owner of my local agri shop has told me he THINKS it is good for calves but on the bag it states that it is for horses and ponies :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I got Fritzie on Weanling Crunch. She's been eating ration for quite some time now but I wouldn't give her any of my horse ration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I asked about this with someone who's worked in animal nutrition for over 30 years and they said that even though the chaff feed is mainly manufactured for horses and ponies in the 'chaff' form (it's usually made into cubes for cattle), it is ok to feed it to cattle or calves.

However, it would probably be better in the long term to locate a store which stocks specific calf feed, such as calf starter and calf follow-on. I know Red Mills manufacture such feeds, and stock them with suppliers around the country, but I'm sure there are lots of other manufacturers who make the same type of feed.

As with any new feed, make sure you introduce it to the calf gradually and watch out for any negative reactions, etc.

If you're in any doubt about feeding, you should contact an animal nutritionist or vet to discuss your calf's specific case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sue85

Thanks so much to both of you for your comments, you have been a great help. Much appreciated.

Advertisement