Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog constantly barks

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Over the past month, we've noticed/heard our dog [1yr Male Bichon - Has been snipped] go from barking if he heard someone walking by over the garden wall (he can't see over it), to constantly barking.

As in, as soon as the back door is opened, he runs out barking (no stimulus) and runs around the garden in circles jumping at the walls. He has a path worn out from his circles and run up and down the garden. The dog is well exercised so that is not an issue either.

He would be asleep in his bed, and we open the back door (we smoke outside) and he is up and out in a shot barking.

I've googed a million answers at this stage which all say to find the source of the barking - which there isn't any apart from just being outside. While this is fine during the day, it is a real problem come night time, as the next door neighbours have a baby and it's really unfair for our dog to be going ape in the back garden at midnight.

Anyone have any similar experiences?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do you correct him when he does this? Sounds like its a habit now which you need to break by training him so i suggest you work on stopping this behaviour.

I would suggest putting him on a lead when you open the back door and dont let him run outside. Everytime he barks correct him and dont go outside until he realises that he doesnt get to go outside if he barks.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I've read other people on this Forum before advise that you should teach a dog to bark on command, and I think you can then get them to shut up on command. :D Sorry - I don't know more about it - I just have a vague memory of someone else advising this before.

MsFifers wrote: »
    I've read other people on this Forum before advise that you should teach a dog to bark on command, and I think you can then get them to shut up on command. :D Sorry - I don't know more about it - I just have a vague memory of someone else advising this before.

Yes ms fifers, you would be right as im one of them:D My rottweiler rarely barks and i have taught him to speak on command and then be quiet. But in fairness my fella isnt a barker so dont have the problem of constant or regular barking, thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Collie here - now aged 8- rarely barked until the crowbanger episode earlier this year.

Since then barking has been a major problem. Sometimes for no reason. And boy! She is loud.

We discovered when the thunder phobia was bad that a wee drop of whiskey will calm her.... But she hates it...

So now the mere sight of the old cup with the syringes in it stops her barking and makes her settle. She gets three warnings only...

When she sees it she lies down....

This is a dog who was so badly abused and who thus never learned boundaries or obedience.

Now she is starting to respond to a NO; she is learning how far she can go and that she is not being punished and hurt.

She tries so hard to control herself. After learning how to express herself.

Whoever said that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

We have started [yesterday and today] saying "NO" - he just looks back at us and might continue on. See the garden is quite big so disclipine is hard to deliver when you cant catch him. Then it becomes a game...

I like the lead idea. Might try that in the back garden along with stern "NO" or "Shhh" commands. Any other tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

He has a path worn out from his circles and run up and down the garden.
    This is the part that has me curious. You said hes exercised sufficiently..fair enough. Sufficient for you or for him? Theres either still pent up energy (leading to a boredom pattern), another external stimulus thats driving him mental (cats, neighbours dog for example) or a possible underlying neurological condition.

Im not good on behavioural therapy but would breaking up his garden "route" be an option. Dont scold him for barking, but when he starts doing his loop distract him with play and/or a walk (not food)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

MsFifers wrote: »

This backfired on me - I tried it when the pup was much younger and once he realized that "Speak" = bark = praise/treat he kept chancing his arm barking to see if he'd get a prize! :rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Over the past month, we've noticed/heard our dog [1yr Male Bichon - Has been snipped] go from barking if he heard someone walking by over the garden wall (he can't see over it), to constantly barking.

As in, as soon as the back door is opened, he runs out barking (no stimulus) and runs around the garden in circles jumping at the walls. He has a path worn out from his circles and run up and down the garden. The dog is well exercised so that is not an issue either.

Any kids around that could tease him ? I caught a few little sh1tes a few months ago doing it to my dog, needless to say I threw quite a few f ucks their way, named their mothers n fathers they havent come around the back of our place in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

sealgaire wrote: »
    No no and NO! This is not a magic fix and really shouldnt be put on unless you're literally at the last resort. It will help (possibly) with the barking but itll just frustrate him even more and lead to destructive behaviour in other areas.

• Advertisement

sealgaire wrote: »

Absolutely do not get one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I'm not big into bark collars either. Barking is how a dog expresses himself and sometimes it's no harm for him to bark and let people know there's a dog about, in case anyone is looking for somewhere to break into.
    I have a very vocal dog myself and the garden is where he'd go mental if allowed. He's a very busy dog so anything like birds flying overhead or hearing people talking down the road will get his attention. Luckily he's food motivated so I hide treats around the garden or have them in my pocket when I'm in the garden with him. He barks, I call him back, show him the treat and get him to find them.
    I've been doing this the past week or so, and today when the dog down the road barked, he started to bark, I called him back and he came up and sat down waiting for a treat. Or if he absolutely refuses to acknowledge the treat, I grab a leafy branch or something I can wave about which gets him jumping about trying to grab the leaves.
    Sometimes it's more a matter of redirecting their attention to get them to learn new behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LucyBliss wrote: »
    I'm not big into bark collars either. Barking is how a dog expresses himself and sometimes it's no harm for him to bark and let people know there's a dog about, in case anyone is looking for somewhere to break into.
    I have a very vocal dog myself and the garden is where he'd go mental if allowed. He's a very busy dog so anything like birds flying overhead or hearing people talking down the road will get his attention. Luckily he's food motivated so I hide treats around the garden or have them in my pocket when I'm in the garden with him. He barks, I call him back, show him the treat and get him to find them.
    I've been doing this the past week or so, and today when the dog down the road barked, he started to bark, I called him back and he came up and sat down waiting for a treat. Or if he absolutely refuses to acknowledge the treat, I grab a leafy branch or something I can wave about which gets him jumping about trying to grab the leaves.
    Sometimes it's more a matter of redirecting their attention to get them to learn new behaviour.

We have graduated now from having to give the whiskey, or "threatening" to do so to a loud NO. .....And it is starting to work. There is nothing up here to get her attention; just barking for the sake of it is what this one is doing. And that is not healthy or useful, as in the OPs case also.

She sounds the alarm if anyone comes near the gate and that is great. But this random meaningless sounding off is a different matter altogether.

Advertisement