Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire Brigade losing ambulances to HSE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Don't go lads, you have been a good source of entertainment. The likes of statements saying that a NAS crew would burn out if they were to do the same number of calls as a DFB crew, are you made of some sort of super human material:D:D:D

That Dublin's cardiac arrest success is down to the DFB, you do realise that the NAS also operate in Dublin city and county? and we don't 'burn out'!!

Being filled with dread at the prospect of the NAS responding to calls in Dublin, as stated we do actually work Dublin also. But being filled with dread and strict PDA's, is it normal for the DFB to respond a fire tender to a cardiac arrest but leave their advanced paramedic at the station because he is on kitchen duties? I can tell you I have seen this first hand and find it very worrying.
    So if that's an example of your strict PDA's then it's no surprise another report has been called for.

I think the poster been "filled with dread" is because he or she doesn't trust the HSE to do a job which the poster feels DFB do very well.

In terms of the Cardiac arrest situation - I had heard that before about Dublin doing very well.

I put it down to the higher availability of staff - due to been able to send a tender to the call.

In short extra resources - I personally feel that all the Dublin cardiac arrest successes show - is the difference it makes if you have a lot of resources on the ground.

So all that success shows - is - having extra resources is a good thing - that is different in my book to saying we should have fire based EMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Beano wrote: »
    i hope to god i dont get an awful smug b*astard like you bang bang if i ever need an ambulance.

Is there really a need to resort to insulting Boards members?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Old diesel wrote: »
    I think the poster been "filled with dread" is because he or she doesn't trust the HSE to do a job which the poster feels DFB do very well.

+1

There are numerous problems in the HSE that need fixing or improving and numerous areas that need to have their costs brought under control. Tinkering with a €10m (-ish) cost (which means savings of much less than that) on a service that, to the public, seems to be working just fine seems like a waste of time and runs the risk of dis-improving the service.

If the report says the benefits to the service are worth it, fire ahead. Of course whether the HSE can deliver on that waits to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Is there really a need to resort to insulting Boards members?

No.. but in your case i'll make an exception.

No.. but in your case i'll make an exception.

Thank you but I really thought we were all grown up and out of the school playground, but there you go.

But if 'god forbid' you do require an ambulance and I happen to be on the call let me assure you that you will get the level of treatment you require, in a calm, controlled professional manner, without insult or name calling.

• Advertisement

Don't go lads, you have been a good source of entertainment. The likes of statements saying that a NAS crew would burn out if they were to do the same number of calls as a DFB crew, are you made of some sort of super human material:D:D:D

That Dublin's cardiac arrest success is down to the DFB, you do realise that the NAS also operate in Dublin city and county? and we don't 'burn out'!!

Being filled with dread at the prospect of the NAS responding to calls in Dublin, as stated we do actually work Dublin also. But being filled with dread and strict PDA's, is it normal for the DFB to respond a fire tender to a cardiac arrest but leave their advanced paramedic at the station because he is on kitchen duties? I can tell you I have seen this first hand and find it very worrying.
    So if that's an example of your strict PDA's then it's no surprise another report has been called for.

yeah, real grown up

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tumerg

if 10 tenders and 10 ambulances went to the same incident it still gets the one incident number

its good bang bang that you have the time to listen to whats going on with the dfb, should you not be answering the phone call that comes form the fire control for an ambulace

just like the cardiac arrest you took 40mins to respond too in Dunlaoire good work HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colinjp

Lot of DFB v NAS arguments here that are ridiculous. I work for NAS and know and have met many DFB who are great paramedics and we always get on well together at a call. I have to admit I have seen call holding by DFB dispatch first hand and this shouldn't happen. I have also had many duplicate calls where a second ambo is sent to the same call because of two seperate controls, and one didn't know the other already had a vehicle dispatched, again a waste of resources. Best thing I believe that can happen is NAS take over national ambo dispatch in the new tallaght control, DFB keep their ambos, DFB ambos get tetra radios and the nearest available ambulance gets the call no matter what organisation. There has been a lot of down talk about Nas paramedics not being as capable but every paramedic is Phecc registered and does the same training and exams so no matter whether you get a NAS or DFB ambo for your emergency , you are getting a highly trained medical professional. I can also confirm Nas staff do not get any stand down time after calls, nor are we guaranteed lunch breaks. I have personally done 12 hour shifts where I haven't gotten back to base and had to grab a sambo while getting diesel. I was talking to a DFB paramedic the other day who stated he had gone his whole shift without a proper lunch either. The fact is both organisations do a great job with the funding each management provides and will continue to do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I work in a provincial city (NAS) and after 4 nights I've had enough patience, interest, concentration and energy are just shot....

If I were DFB I would fight tooth and nail hold onto some of my ambos regardless of costs for (of course) fires but also RTC's. I see this as a big disadvantage and drain on NAS ambos in the busier regions, dual services at one scene ect....crazy...

colinjp wrote: »
    Lot of DFB v NAS arguments here that are ridiculous. I work for NAS and know and have met many DFB who are great paramedics and we always get on well together at a call. I have to admit I have seen call holding by DFB dispatch first hand and this shouldn't happen. I have also had many duplicate calls where a second ambo is sent to the same call because of two seperate controls, and one didn't know the other already had a vehicle dispatched, again a waste of resources. Best thing I believe that can happen is NAS take over national ambo dispatch in the new tallaght control, DFB keep their ambos, DFB ambos get tetra radios and the nearest available ambulance gets the call no matter what organisation. There has been a lot of down talk about Nas paramedics not being as capable but every paramedic is Phecc registered and does the same training and exams so no matter whether you get a NAS or DFB ambo for your emergency , you are getting a highly trained medical professional. I can also confirm Nas staff do not get any stand down time after calls, nor are we guaranteed lunch breaks. I have personally done 12 hour shifts where I haven't gotten back to base and had to grab a sambo while getting diesel. I was talking to a DFB paramedic the other day who stated he had gone his whole shift without a proper lunch either. The fact is both organisations do a great job with the funding each management provides and will continue to do the same

Now your talking :)

And this is what its all about

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/celebration-of-life-as-con-thanks-his-rescue-team-29519263.html

I put that link in another tread - but thought it could do with another outing on this one.

Goes to show though - its not the name on the Ambulance that makes the difference - its the people delivering the service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Paulzx wrote: »
    Ah sure look lads...................ye seem to know it all. Nothing i say is going to make any difference.

A "hurty knee" is the same as someone thrown from a horse

I simply pointed out your wrong in your statement that tenders only go to CVAs and MIs its now changed to falling off a horse (which he didn't).

You still didn't answer my questions

councillors objecting to the HSE plan

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/council-rejects-hse-ambulance-plan-for-dublin-1.1732750#.UywKpZu5rfE.twitter

Interesting aspect is that some chap from DFB - is quoted as saying they can't meet Hiqa targets due "to factors outside our control"

Reinforces the concept that the biggest impact on Ambulance service delivery is resources and funding allocated to it.

Seems DFB aren't getting as much funding as they need - according to the councillors.

At least that's my reading of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

The DFB control room and call takers use the pro Q A system to prioritise all calls , they can only input the information being told over the phone .When the information is inputed a priority dispatch classification is generated and im sur the NAS system is similar for emergancy calls ,

For all E calls some D calls and all call that may need extra help ie spinal precautions log roll , bariatric patients etc etc the truck also travels

As for an AP being left behind to do station duties for a cardiac arrest you are sadly mistaken and as an outsider dont know how our system works an fabricating lies or recanting tales of old when few APs where in operation , all AP'are marked on their truck etc at start of shift and a tag is put beside whichever truck they are on , in the case of an arrest this truck is mobilised instead of the normal truck unless already attending an incident ,

also remember DFB dont get any extra funding for their AP's or the additional responces of firetrucks with additional resources , country brigades charge NAS for medical assistance calls whereas DFB DONT

at last someone is talking sence

The DFB control room and call takers use the pro Q A system to prioritise all calls , they can only input the information being told over the phone .When the information is inputed a priority dispatch classification is generated and im sur the NAS system is similar for emergancy calls ,

For all E calls some D calls and all call that may need extra help ie spinal precautions log roll , bariatric patients etc etc the truck also travels

As for an AP being left behind to do station duties for a cardiac arrest you are sadly mistaken and as an outsider dont know how our system works an fabricating lies or recanting tales of old when few APs where in operation , all AP'are marked on their truck etc at start of shift and a tag is put beside whichever truck they are on , in the case of an arrest this truck is mobilised instead of the normal truck unless already attending an incident ,

also remember DFB dont get any extra funding for their AP's or the additional responces of firetrucks with additional resources , country brigades charge NAS for medical assistance calls whereas DFB DONT

I can read from this that you are a member of the DFB.
    Accusing me of fabricating lies is just putting you in the same bracket as your colleague who began name calling and insulting, sad really because I had enjoyed your posts to date, initially you came across as someone who could hold a good debate, but there you go.

As for the incident involving kitchen duties, it was your colleagues who made the remark and there were more words in the conversation regarding the kitchen duties but they were just put down to the black humor that we often develop, so I may leave it there, but I hope they enjoyed their "AP chicken"!!

Getting away from the bashing and more in line with the thread title, I would like to offer some advice to a certain number of DFB personnel. If you wish to have the support of the NAS then maybe include the NAS in your campaign to save 'YOUR' ambulance service, you are not the sole Dublin ambulance service. Those members shouting this appear in a minority but also appear to be shouting very loud. Dublin City and County ambulance service is provided by and funded by the National Ambulance Service with an agreement in place for the Dublin Fire Brigade to provide 11 ambulances in support.

For those reading this thread who don't know, the National Ambulance Service have ambulance stations in Swords, James's Street, Tallaght and Loughlinstown, each operating between one and up to five ambulances per shift. There is a rostered AP RRV working out of Loughlinstown. There is a paramedic motorcycle response unit based in Cherry Orchard, there are a number of Intermediate Care Vehicles also based in Cherry Orchard who are available as back up and response to AS1 and AS2 calls, all these stations are in Dublin.
    Dunshaughlin and Maynooth ambulance stations have quick access to West Dublin.

The big problem is the way the calls come through the BT exchange, some calls go to the DFB and some go to the NAS. This system has never worked and it is well over the time that something was done to sort it. There should be only one receiving command and control for all ambulances, regardless of what uniform they wear.

Remember the current report is just that, a report, recommendations are sure to come out of it, but the report will not be finalised and published until the end of May, it is then we will see the recommendations.

Worse fool you (general term) if you believe what the daily newspapers are printing before you see or hear anything official from the reporting committee.

Running to the media and calling for the report to be stopped only raises suspicions of what one may be masking or be fearful of.

Accusing me of fabricating lies is just putting you in the same bracket as your colleague who began name calling and insulting, sad really because I had enjoyed your posts to date, initially you came across as someone who could hold a good debate, but there you go.

As for the incident involving kitchen duties, it was your colleagues who made the remark and there were more words in the conversation regarding the kitchen duties but they were just put down to the black humor that we often develop, so I may leave it there, but I hope they enjoyed their "AP chicken"!!

Getting away from the bashing and more in line with the thread title, I would like to offer some advice to a certain number of DFB personnel. If you wish to have the support of the NAS then maybe include the NAS in your campaign to save 'YOUR' ambulance service, you are not the sole Dublin ambulance service. Those members shouting this appear in a minority but also appear to be shouting very loud. Dublin City and County ambulance service is provided by and funded by the National Ambulance Service with an agreement in place for the Dublin Fire Brigade to provide 11 ambulances in support.

For those reading this thread who don't know, the National Ambulance Service have ambulance stations in Swords, James's Street, Tallaght and Loughlinstown, each operating between one and up to five ambulances per shift. There is a rostered AP RRV working out of Loughlinstown. There is a paramedic motorcycle response unit based in Cherry Orchard, there are a number of Intermediate Care Vehicles also based in Cherry Orchard who are available as back up and response to AS1 and AS2 calls, all these stations are in Dublin.

The big problem is the way the calls come through the BT exchange, some calls go to the DFB and some go to the NAS. This system has never worked and it is well over the time that something was done to sort it. There should be only one receiving command and control for all ambulances, regardless of what uniform they wear.

Remember the current report is just that, a report, recommendations are sure to come out of it, but the report will not be finalised and published until the end of May, it is then we will see the recommendations.

Worse fool you (general term) if you believe what the daily newspapers are printing before you see or hear anything official from the reporting committee.

Running to the media and calling for the report to be stopped only raises suspicions of what one may be masking or be fearful of.

Genuine question - when you say 1 to 5 ambulances at the 4 locations you mention - is that 1 to 5 Ambulances in total between the 4 locations.

Or is it 1 to 5 ambulance PER location - meaning 4 to 20 Ambulances in total for NAS in Dublin - not sure.

I think it is good to know - that there is an existing NAS presence in Dublin - as I youd have a better chance of building the NAS service when theres already a presence in Dublin - rather then starting from scratch.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Genuine question - when you say 1 to 5 ambulances at the 4 locations you mention - is that 1 to 5 Ambulances in total between the 4 locations.

Or is it 1 to 5 ambulance PER location - meaning 4 to 20 Ambulances in total for NAS in Dublin - not sure.

I think it is good to know - that there is an existing NAS presence in Dublin - as I youd have a better chance of building the NAS service when theres already a presence in Dublin - rather then starting from scratch.

Some stations are one ambulance and the larger stations have up to five ambulances for that station all on duty at the same time.

There has been a NAS existence in Dublin for many decades, including a command and control room.

Some stations are one ambulance and the larger stations have up to five ambulances for that station all on duty at the same time.

There has been a NAS existence in Dublin for many decades, including a command and control room.

Nice one thanks.

At the end of the day - whats needed is the best possible Ambulance service.

That will only be achieved by people working together.

One thing I will say though - is that I wouldn't be a fan of the DFB type idea of the fire fighter also been a Paramedic been adopted OUTSIDE Dublin - simply for the reason that I think it devalues the Paramedic role as a very valuable role in its OWN RIGHT.

I mean fair play to the fire fighters for also been Paramedics and it works well in Dublin.

But I feel that id rather someone didn't get the idea of spreading that idea around the country - I feel it should be unnecessary - and feel that the Ambulance role ON ITS OWN is plenty for anybody to be getting on with.

To me it would be like expecting the accountant to also do reception - or expecting the receptionist to be an accountant :mad:

Also if Cork Co Councils approach to attempting to fix the road near my house is reflective of their approach - I certainly don't want them running the local Ambulance service :rolleyes:

The clowns have filled in the same potholes at least 3 times in the last year rather then fixing the problem properly :mad:

I get that Dublin City Council obviously know what they are doing running DFB and the ambulance service - but not every council is that good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

I am currently a member of DFB but am ex NAS (health board)

Both system have faults and both staffs work well to make a broken system work , i also will point out that both staffs work well together , also when the AP students are on the AP car in dublin they only have good things to say RE how they are treated , respected and involved in incidents but leave with a differant understanding of DFB ,

I find your comment of "leaving the conversation there and a immidiate comment of "AP CHICKEN " in contrdiction of your statement and belittles your stand point

What i will say is that ALL front line workers should stand together and not accept changes from out of touch managment trying to line their pockets or portfolios , its was only a year or 2 ago where we stood shoulder to shoulder as the 24/7 alliance

The problem is with management and their asperiations and not on the ground , i am not making this a us and them thing rather an us and your management thing

If by colleague you are referring to me you are very much mistaken. I am not a member of DFB. i thought that was very clear. I'm just a concerned civilian.

If by colleague you are referring to me you are very much mistaken. I am not a member of DFB. i thought that was very clear. I'm just a concerned civilian.

My apologies, you are then a concerned civilian that felt the need to insult a Boards.ie member.

My apologies, you are then a concerned civilian that felt the need to insult a Boards.ie member.

i felt it was an appropriate reaction to your comments.

What i will say is that ALL front line workers should stand together and not accept changes from out of touch managment trying to line their pockets or portfolios , its was only a year or 2 ago where we stood shoulder to shoulder as the 24/7 alliance

The problem is with management and their asperiations and not on the ground , i am not making this a us and them thing rather an us and your management thing

I agree with you, we should stand together but I will reemphasise that the whole DFB 'IS' the Dublin Ambulance Service has to be dropped in order to drum up support from those within the 24/7 emergency services, for as long as certain members of the brigade continue with this banner then any support there is from the NAS will drift away, otherwise you won't see the like of the 24/7 alliance support that WE all just might need come the end of May when the report is published.

I will also state that in my opinion, whoever is deemed to be the appropriate control and command, on the basis that both services retain their positions as emergency ambulance providers for Dublin, then that control and command should control both services. The current long standing split control is detrimental to patient care and needs to be changed to a single control and command structure.

Thought just occurred to me - when I saw a "save DFB Ambulance" type tweet on twitter this evening.

I think the provision of Ambulance services in Dublin for the future is relatively safe - whoever is doing the providing.

Its hard to imagine anyone doing anything that would downgrade the Dublin Ambulance services - simply because - of the fact that its Dublin.

The political opposition would be far too great - and the HSE chaps that came up with the idea - would quickly find the heat.

So safest option imo for HSE management is to either keep DFB on board - or come up with an alternative system - that's at least as good as DFBs.

I expect what will happen - is that HSE sets a date for DFB to hand over their Ambulance service/stop running it - that will get postponed nearer the date, - and get postponed again.

The advantage Dublin has - is that its a very high priority for Govt etc - wheras - if this was small towns around the country - it would be far easier for HSE to take away ambulances and downgrade services.

Id actually be more worried about ambulance services in areas near Dublin - like Kildare - as there is - imo - a risk that HSE may take Ambulances from other parts of the country to fill service gaps in Dublin should they take over DFBs Ambulance role.

Far too risky to downgrade Dublins Ambulance service imo - from a Govt viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

There are some interesting comments on this thread. Some are unbelievably misinformed. Despite the obvious fact that a range of syndicating journalists have decided to accelerate HSE bashing (and by association, NAS bashing) in recent weeks, none have attempted to inject any balance or indeed challenge any so called "truths" on which much of the conjecture is based. A simple example, IFESA chairperson states 40% of all ambulance calls are in Dublin. A blatant lie, whether you use one or more categories of ambulance calls. All journalists, as well as the usual commentators (IFESA and the usual Private Ambulance operators), continue to ignore or avoid some basic facts which are extractable through an FOI request (you don't have to believe what you need here):

more than two thirds of the population live outside of Dublin (check the Census)

In December 2013, only the NAS in the MW, former East (Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow) and the Midlands achieved the 19 minute response time for DELTA/ECHO calls. This target have never been achieved in the areas of Dublin not primarily serviced by NAS

The Private Ambulance company whom is now tweeting support for DFB, sued the State in the EU Court because DFB did not compete in a procurement process. The same commentator, whom criticises NAS on an almost daily basis, sued the HSE when they tried to initially introduce the Intermediate Care Service claiming it would harm their business. PHECC are subject to FOI so it would be interesting to get copies of all correspondence they have received from the same source.

IFESA regularly call for a National Fire Service because of fragmentation and inconsistency amongst Fire Authorities. Apparently it's OK to not have a single National Ambulance Service and to have a fragmented service in Dublin

In addition to the Response KPIs published by HIQA, there is an additional "qualitative" KPI which all services collect. It relates to the percentage of ECHO/DELTA calls that are responded to by an Advanced Paramedic. DFB's own figures in 2013 put the figure at less than 5% while the NAS figure is 68%. Apparently, the quality of NAS services outside of Dublin are inferior. Is it true that Advanced Paramedics in DFB are promoted to Sub Officer and therefore stop crewing emergency ambulances?????

HIQA legislation does not provide it with powers to regulate or inspect any Fire Service. Given the public confidence in HiQA inspections, are the public happy to not have access to regulatory reassurance. The review announced by the Minister for Health, to be conducted by HIQA, will not encompass DFB, unless they volunteer themselves to it.

NAS is so dysfunctional that it is able to coordinate and deliver aeromedical services using both it's own and IRCG assets. NAS has successfully provided national access to Primary PCI therapy for MI patients whom previously were excluded because they lived on the West Coast or Border Areas.

Everyday, NAS (as does DFB) respond to patients with successful outcomes. The difference is that NAS does not have it's "customer base" captivated in a small geographical area where it has a large Fire Service workforce to use as "back up" for meal breaks, lifts, etc. because they have few fires to respond to. Rather, NAS has to deliver services to the other two thirds of the population spread out between Mizen Head to Malin Head as well as still managing to deliver a range of emergency as well as all urgent and routine services in Dublin.

NAS responds to approx. 350,000 emergency/urgent calls every year. If you search the papers, we hear about a dozen well publicised news paper headlines. For some strange reason, we don't here about the the 99.9% calls where everything went right. An example is a headline from the North East recently in a tabloid which claimed a "25 minute delay". What the journalist failed to realise or indeed accurately report was that it was a six minute delay as the first 19 minutes was the target. The second hypocrisy promoted by journalists is the omission of the fact that response time KPIs do not apply to all 999 calls, in fact it is approx 41% of 999 calls that are encompassed. In any human endeavour, including healthcare, people fail to perform or make mistakes. Whilst these mistakes can cost lives, the reality is that the World Health Alliance on Patient Safety, the peak body of same, accepts that a percentage of patients will not get the very best all of the time. That is the reality of what happens when services are delivered by human beings. The Irish response is a media witch hunt. As DFB services are delivered by humans equally doing their best, they too make mistakes.

So, why do we only hear about NAS in the media, and very little about DFB? While everything I have referred to above can be evidence based through research or FOI, I will digress on this point and offer an opinion. In my view, there is the simple reason that DFB is a small ambulance operation in a small densely populated area where most people are non affected and the media outside Dublin not interested (unless it is syndicated journalism) and the capital offers the media a greater choice of scandal. Secondly, DFB has not experienced much organisational reform to unsettle a workforce. When you couple this with a very professional ethos, built on collegiality, loyalty and pride in service, you get little "noise".

conversely, NAS faces huge geographic and demographic challenges but is benchmarked against the same metrics. Secondly, NAS staff and the public has experienced significant organisational reform and loss of income (in the case of staff). NAS does not have the loyalty, pride and collegial culture of DFB. A failure of leadership is generally the root cause. In my mind, the common denominator is the correlation between the location of the media reports, the journalists involved, the extent of loss of earnings in those areas and the degree of service reforms/parochial response. Essentially, following NAS staff running to journalists to air their grievances, these same individuals have now been "cultivated" as informants by these same journalists whom realise the ease with which HSE related stories can be extracted and probably not challenged with the actual truth. The small minority of truly disgruntled think they are getting at their management, however, what they are really doing is allowing themselves to be used to undermine the professionalism of their colleagues and erode public confidence in a national service that has so much potential given the right leadership, political support and workforce buy in.

Instead, we are due to be subjected to another prime time "expose" where in probably 20 minutes, we will be convinced lives at at risk. We will then have the subsequent IFESA, journalistic and Private Ambulance operator analysis in the usual media outlets followed by the usual outpouring of parliamentary questions from "concerned" politicians. And meanwhile, they won't have scratched the truth just further undermined the morale of a professional workforce and worried the public.

Well if we have a crisis, ask the man whom had a cardiac arrest on a golf course in Ballyshannon, was successfully resuscitated, flown to Galway, had a PCI and went home to his family what he thinks of "an ambulance service in crisis". Trouble is, he is only one of about 800,000 patients whom have a good experience of NAS every year.

The purpose of this long post is not to bash any group including DFB, but to point out that when it comes to complex services like an ambulance service, what you read, hear and watch in the media is rarely the truth.

There are some interesting comments on this thread. Some are unbelievably misinformed. Despite the obvious fact that a range of syndicating journalists have decided to accelerate HSE bashing (and by association, NAS bashing) in recent weeks, none have attempted to inject any balance or indeed challenge any so called "truths" on which much of the conjecture is based. A simple example, IFESA chairperson states 40% of all ambulance calls are in Dublin. A blatant lie, whether you use one or more categories of ambulance calls. All journalists, as well as the usual commentators (IFESA and the usual Private Ambulance operators), continue to ignore or avoid some basic facts which are extractable through an FOI request (you don't have to believe what you need here):

more than two thirds of the population live outside of Dublin (check the Census)

In December 2013, only the NAS in the MW, former East (Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow) and the Midlands achieved the 19 minute response time for DELTA/ECHO calls. This target have never been achieved in the areas of Dublin not primarily serviced by NAS

The Private Ambulance company whom is now tweeting support for DFB, sued the State in the EU Court because DFB did not compete in a procurement process. The same commentator, whom criticises NAS on an almost daily basis, sued the HSE when they tried to initially introduce the Intermediate Care Service claiming it would harm their business. PHECC are subject to FOI so it would be interesting to get copies of all correspondence they have received from the same source.

IFESA regularly call for a National Fire Service because of fragmentation and inconsistency amongst Fire Authorities. Apparently it's OK to not have a single National Ambulance Service and to have a fragmented service in Dublin

In addition to the Response KPIs published by HIQA, there is an additional "qualitative" KPI which all services collect. It relates to the percentage of ECHO/DELTA calls that are responded to by an Advanced Paramedic. DFB's own figures in 2013 put the figure at less than 5% while the NAS figure is 68%. Apparently, the quality of NAS services outside of Dublin are inferior. Is it true that Advanced Paramedics in DFB are promoted to Sub Officer and therefore stop crewing emergency ambulances?????

HIQA legislation does not provide it with powers to regulate or inspect any Fire Service. Given the public confidence in HiQA inspections, are the public happy to not have access to regulatory reassurance. The review announced by the Minister for Health, to be conducted by HIQA, will not encompass DFB, unless they volunteer themselves to it.

NAS is so dysfunctional that it is able to coordinate and deliver aeromedical services using both it's own and IRCG assets. NAS has successfully provided national access to Primary PCI therapy for MI patients whom previously were excluded because they lived on the West Coast or Border Areas.

Everyday, NAS (as does DFB) respond to patients with successful outcomes. The difference is that NAS does not have it's "customer base" captivated in a small geographical area where it has a large Fire Service workforce to use as "back up" for meal breaks, lifts, etc. because they have few fires to respond to. Rather, NAS has to deliver services to the other two thirds of the population spread out between Mizen Head to Malin Head as well as still managing to deliver a range of emergency as well as all urgent and routine services in Dublin.

NAS responds to approx. 350,000 emergency/urgent calls every year. If you search the papers, we hear about a dozen well publicised news paper headlines. For some strange reason, we don't here about the the 99.9% calls where everything went right. An example is a headline from the North East recently in a tabloid which claimed a "25 minute delay". What the journalist failed to realise or indeed accurately report was that it was a six minute delay as the first 19 minutes was the target. The second hypocrisy promoted by journalists is the omission of the fact that response time KPIs do not apply to all 999 calls, in fact it is approx 41% of 999 calls that are encompassed. In any human endeavour, including healthcare, people fail to perform or make mistakes. Whilst these mistakes can cost lives, the reality is that the World Health Alliance on Patient Safety, the peak body of same, accepts that a percentage of patients will not get the very best all of the time. That is the reality of what happens when services are delivered by human beings. The Irish response is a media witch hunt. As DFB services are delivered by humans equally doing their best, they too make mistakes.

So, why do we only hear about NAS in the media, and very little about DFB? While everything I have referred to above can be evidence based through research or FOI, I will digress on this point and offer an opinion. In my view, there is the simple reason that DFB is a small ambulance operation in a small densely populated area where most people are non affected and the media outside Dublin not interested (unless it is syndicated journalism) and the capital offers the media a greater choice of scandal. Secondly, DFB has not experienced much organisational reform to unsettle a workforce. When you couple this with a very professional ethos, built on collegiality, loyalty and pride in service, you get little "noise".

conversely, NAS faces huge geographic and demographic challenges but is benchmarked against the same metrics. Secondly, NAS staff and the public has experienced significant organisational reform and loss of income (in the case of staff). NAS does not have the loyalty, pride and collegial culture of DFB. A failure of leadership is generally the root cause. In my mind, the common denominator is the correlation between the location of the media reports, the journalists involved, the extent of loss of earnings in those areas and the degree of service reforms/parochial response. Essentially, following NAS staff running to journalists to air their grievances, these same individuals have now been "cultivated" as informants by these same journalists whom realise the ease with which HSE related stories can be extracted and probably not challenged with the actual truth. The small minority of truly disgruntled think they are getting at their management, however, what they are really doing is allowing themselves to be used to undermine the professionalism of their colleagues and erode public confidence in a national service that has so much potential given the right leadership, political support and workforce buy in.

Instead, we are due to be subjected to another prime time "expose" where in probably 20 minutes, we will be convinced lives at at risk. We will then have the subsequent IFESA, journalistic and Private Ambulance operator analysis in the usual media outlets followed by the usual outpouring of parliamentary questions from "concerned" politicians. And meanwhile, they won't have scratched the truth just further undermined the morale of a professional workforce and worried the public.

Well if we have a crisis, ask the man whom had a cardiac arrest on a golf course in Ballyshannon, was successfully resuscitated, flown to Galway, had a PCI and went home to his family what he thinks of "an ambulance service in crisis". Trouble is, he is only one of about 800,000 patients whom have a good experience of NAS every year.

The purpose of this long post is not to bash any group including DFB, but to point out that when it comes to complex services like an ambulance service, what you read, hear and watch in the media is rarely the truth.

Nice one - great to hear a different perspective :)

Your right - we don't get to hear about the times when things don't go right.

My theory on that - is that people just expect an Ambulance service to work (I don't mean that in a bad way)

So if the Advanced Paramedic turns up in his/her RRV quickly - the ambulance then rocks up quickly afterwards - and the Advanced Paramedic and Paramedics do Trojan work - and save the patients life - and patient goes on to make a full recovery - there isn't going to be big fanfare from many people about it - why???.

Because I think people expect to see Ambulance crews arrive quickly when they make a 999 call - and they expect the crews to do everything possible.

They expect that as normal service - the reality is that if a crew comes out to a call swiftly - delivers fantastic care and treatment - and as a result of that treatment a patients life is saved - and patient makes a full recovery - that is a fantastic achievement.

It would of course add greatly to the discussion on Ambulance services etc - if Journalists, Media, RTE etc - would look at the times when things do go right.

There is one very good reason why I think we need to look at the times when things go right.

its this - if you get a situation where everything goes well - response time is good, and great teamwork, great treatment and care from top class staff - saves a life, promotes recovery, and a full recovery for the patient is achieved - that's a great learning tool for making the Ambulance service better.

Because you can say - okay - this job went really well - so why did that happen.

It sounds bizzare - but if we look at why things go well - then we can look at how we can achieve that level of performance as often as possible.

Somehow I doubt Prime time will be delivering much balance tonight though :rolleyes:

Brilliant post 'NonBeliever14', top post of this thread without a doubt.

• Advertisement

Brilliant post 'NonBeliever14', top post of this thread without a doubt.

Without a doubt

If Non Beliver14 was on the prime time programme tonight giving his or her input - I think I can safely say - that it would improve the programme marvellously.

But alas :( - I fear we won't be seeing contributions of that quality on Prime time :( - even though it would help a balanced debate.

Advertisement