Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trans tragedy in US

• 31-12-2014 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Saw this on sky and felt it just needed to be marked in some way. A sad read and a sad reminder that religion continues, allied with ignorance, to take its toll.
    The person who wrote this apparently has decided enough is enough.
    http://lazerprincess.tumblr.com/post/106447705738/suicide-note

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

That's horrible, hopefully awareness and acceptance comes out of this though, it's what she wanted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

When i read the headline i thought someone had shot a whole load of trans gender people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I read this on pinknews earlier today, very sad :(

RIP

tumblr_nhe1vkfPQx1qcj6obo1_1280.png

She lost her child but from reading that suicide note so much of the blame can be laid on her and her intolerance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I read this on pinknews earlier today, very sad :(

RIP

tumblr_nhe1vkfPQx1qcj6obo1_1280.png

She lost her child but from reading that suicide note so much of the blame can be laid on her and her intolerance.

Her post also sounds like she is still in denial

• Advertisement

yeah it was on the front page of reddit so i was reading about it

http://np.reddit.com/r/asktransgender/comments/2km6yt/is_this_considered_abuse/

this is the post from 2 months ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It is likely that she was in shock. She also may not have seen the note at that point.

I'm appalled at their remedy for the 'problem' though, you can't isolate someone for 5 months in the hope that they will 'get better'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

If he was so critical of Catholic therapies why he didn't he seek out alternatives? Or were they just not available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I actually feel quite sorry for her parents. They have lost their child in tragic circumstances and they have become hate figures. I hope they are left to grieve in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If he was so critical of Catholic therapies why he didn't he seek out alternatives? Or were they just not available?

SHE. Please be respectful and use the correct pronouns.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Poor kid. I've seen a lot about Leelah on Tumblr and the whole situation was a disgrace--the way her parents handled it was so messed up. Conversion therapy should be banned.

I find it quite awful that her parents insist(ed) on burying her in a suit with the wrong name and continue to misgender her. The one positive (and I use the word here very seriously) to come from all of this was the visibility to trans issues. An awful lot of people still have no idea about trans stuff. Tbh, I didn't know a whole lot til a year or so ago when my best friend's little brother came out as trans and started transitioning. I did a lot of research and I've caught up and I really think trans issues should be taught in sex ed. in school. But that's a topic for another day.

SHE. Please be respectful and use the correct pronouns.

Didn't mean to be. She felt like a girl in a man's body? Or am I reading it completely stupidly wrong?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't mean to be. She felt like a girl in a man's body? Or am I reading it completely stupidly wrong?

No but given that and how she signed her suicide note you should acknowledge what she felt was her true gender imo

Stheno wrote: »
    No but given that and how she signed her suicide note you should acknowledge what she felt was her true gender imo

Ok, apologies.

Underage, no money to pay for them, etc, I would say
    Probs need parental consent for that stuff under 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's just a horrific tragedy, this has been all over my facebook feed and friends talking about it, it's just... I've no words really. It's nothing short of monstrous the way some Christian parents treat their LGBT children, and I'm just so unbelievably lucky that I have a supportive parent.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Jehovahs witnesses get stick over not allowing certain medical interventions. To my mind this is just as bad. Those parents couldnt handle having a 'broken' child, now they have no child at all. This girl (for thats what she was) should be alive. Blinkered thinking killed her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Eventually I lied to them and told them I was straight and that I was a boy, and then the derogatory speech and neglect started to fade. I tried my absolute hardest to live up to their standards and be a straight male, but eventually I realized that I hated religion and my parents. I came out as gay in school, hoping to ease my friends into the whole LGBT thing before I came out as trans. Although my friends reactions were mostly positive my parents were beyond pissed. They took me out of public school, took away my phone and computer, and wouldn't let me on social media websites, so I was out of contact with any of my friends. I was like this for 5 months, completely and utterly alone. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone outside of church and I wasn't allowed to be with any of my friends, I just had to stay in my house and be quiet.

This is straight up child abuse... I'd hold the parents accountable for something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dan Savage has said:
    If Tyler Clementi's roommate could be prosecuted - and he was - then the parents of Leelah Alcorn can and should be.

I find it hard to disagree

• Advertisement
Advertisement