Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Options
  • 12-06-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Let the O/T begin :D

What's all ye'r goals for summer :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

So much hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

So exciting! One of my goals is to gain back the sleep i missed so i could cram for the exams :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

TY is gonna be so busy for ye that there will be no time to post on boards.ie.

For proof, look at how last year's OT thread ended up :p wonder if this year will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

You weren't cool like we are, Arnie. ;)

TY is gonna be so busy for ye that there will be no time to post on boards.ie.

For proof, look at how last year's OT thread ended up :p wonder if this year will be better.

Did you enjoy TY? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Yes!What were the highlights too? Any advice?:D

Yeah, glad I did the year! Make sure you all try to make the most out of it, and do every project that you can get your hands onto, even if you hate it. The year is gonna be a blast, but it really depends on your school. Worked on a lot of stuff outside school so it's good :D.

I can't really give advice as TY varies with every school, but TRY EVERYTHING, ALL PROJECTS, ALL COMPETITIONS, EVEN IF YOU HATE IT.

Yeah, glad I did the year! Make sure you all try to make the most out of it, and do every project that you can get your hands onto, even if you hate it. The year is gonna be a blast, but it really depends on your school. Worked on a lot of stuff outside school so it's good :D.

ah thank you for the advice! :D My schools TY programme is pretty decent so my brother tells me, a lot of fun trips and all that! What did you do for work experience? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

I can't really give advice as TY varies with every school, but TRY EVERYTHING, ALL PROJECTS, ALL COMPETITIONS, EVEN IF YOU HATE IT.

Why do something if you hate it ? :confused:

• Advertisement

ah thank you for the advice! :D My schools TY programme is pretty decent so my brother tells me, a lot of fun trips and all that! What did you do for experience? :p

Work experience is probably the most important part of TY in my opinion :p. I spent two weeks at a charity, a week at a bakery, a week at an App development place and did courses.

Are any of you interested in science or engineering? Colleges like ITT, Trinity, DCU and DIT host weeks where TY students do stuff relating to the field. Did two of the courses and really helped with deciding what you wana study at college :).

nanook5 wrote: »
    Why do something if you hate it ? :confused:

Why would you hate it? you didn't even try it, so you never know. There might be a dancing competition, you don't want to do it because it's dancing and you're probably a guy and hate dancing, but you still do it, and then after five years, you're a professional dancer because you were hooked onto dancing after five minutes of the competition five years ago in school :p.

You never know, you gotta try even the crazy things. I'm saying this from experience because I stepped out of my comfort zone as well :).

Why would you hate it? you didn't even try it, so you never know. There might be a dancing competition, you don't want to do it because it's dancing and you're probably a guy and hate dancing, but you still do it, and then after five years, you're a professional dancer because you were hooked onto dancing after five minutes of the competition five years ago in school :p.

You never know, you gotta try even the crazy things. I'm saying this from experience because I stepped out of my comfort zone as well :).

I guess that's one way to look at it :p I'll be sure to take that advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Work experience is probably the most important part of TY in my opinion :p. I spent two weeks at a charity, a week at a bakery, a week at an App development place and did courses.

Are any of you interested in science or engineering? Colleges like ITT, Trinity, DCU and DIT host weeks where TY students do stuff relating to the field. Did two of the courses and really helped with deciding what you wana study at college :).
    Are there any awful work experience stories?:) Did certain work places/ jobs get an overall more postitive reaction than others? I think my school wants us to work in charity only:/

Fifii wrote: »
    Are there any awful work experience stories?:) Did certain work places/ jobs get an overall more postitive reaction than others? I think my school wants us to work in charity only:/

Eah, people didn't really share any stories ... everyone probably dreaded work experience in my class besides me and a few mates. You'll meet great people, that's for sure.

For the bakery, I probably had the most awful boss imaginable. She made me sweep once with my hands!!!!!!!!!!! :p and I remember I had to hide on the top floor to have my "extended break" because a health inspector came and it was illegal for me to work there ... lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Ooo new thread! This summer I want to read a lot of books and watch a lot of tv :)

Xgracie wrote: »
    Ooo new thread! This summer I want to read a lot of books and watch a lot of tv :)

Have you ever read the Cherub series ? :pac:

Nope! What's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Jaysus hold yer horses, some of us have exams still to do before we start thinking about TY!!!

.......But I'm excited too :D

Nope! What's it about?

There all about teenage spies who like go undercover(cos' no one suspects them) into gangs and cults and shizz . There all orphans and live on a Campus and do loads of intense training. .

I explained that so horribly :pac:

Here's the wiki of the first book .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Recruit_(novel)

Give it a try, I beg you . Best books I've ever read :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Hey y'all im a teenage boy who loves pizza and the fault in our stars (which i spent the last two hours crying over...the movie is SOOOO good)

pizzamad wrote: »
    Hey y'all im a teenage boy who loves pizza and the fault in our stars (which i spent the last two hours crying over...the movie is SOOOO good)

I must watch that and see what this book/movie is all about :p

There all about teenage spies who like go undercover(cos' no one suspects them) into gangs and cults and shizz . There all orphans and live on a Campus and do loads of intense training. .

I explained that so horribly :pac:

Here's the wiki of the first book .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Recruit_(novel)

Give it a try, I beg you . Best books I've ever read :p

Sounds interesting! I defs will! I have 2 and a half months of free time wooo

Sounds interesting! I defs will! I have 2 and a half months of free time wooo

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hahaha I love getting people to read the books I like! THG and the divergent books are probs my ultimate favourites but I've read a good few no one I knows read :(

Hahaha I love getting people to read the books I like! THG and the divergent books are probs my ultimate favourites but I've read a good few no one I knows read :(

I must read them too . Have some books that I bought for Christmas that I still haven't read :o One of them is about a plot to kill Hitler :D

I must read them too . Have some books that I bought for Christmas that I still haven't read :o One of them is about a plot to kill Hitler :D

They're soooooo good like divergent would be my favourite but I think THG has more something for everyone, havnt read them in years tho! Yeah I've slacked on the book reading recently I normally get fits a read like 3 in a weekend :pac: aw sounds interesting!!

i have some work experience sorted but theyre all mostly in retail and being a slave in a college (coffee runs for the staff and cleaning) but i wouldn't mind doing one of those courses! :D

They're soooooo good like divergent would be my favourite but I think THG has more something for everyone, havnt read them in years tho! Yeah I've slacked on the book reading recently I normally get fits a read like 3 in a weekend :pac: aw sounds interesting!!

haven't read a book since October (to kill a mocking bird) which is my favourite book ever :pac: so I've loads to read during the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yaEHya

Read them all when I was younger good books:-)

Advertisement