Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt paint over vinyl silk - disaster! Help!

Options
  • 14-08-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I've painted two coats of matt paint (Homebase) over vinyl silk and then realised it was not a good idea as the matt has cracked like crazy paving. I sanded the walls before applying a third coat in the hope that would give a key to which the paint would adhere. No joy, I still have crazy paved type walls.

Having now done some research I realise I should have sanded or applied PVA before starting. I know for the next time! Can anyone advise how I can remedy my mistake without having to strip right back - I just can't face that!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

MadamX wrote: »
    I've painted two coats of matt paint (Homebase) over vinyl silk and then realised it was not a good idea as the matt has cracked like crazy paving. I sanded the walls before applying a third coat in the hope that would give a key to which the paint would adhere. No joy, I still have crazy paved type walls.

Having now done some research I realise I should have sanded or applied PVA before starting. I know for the next time! Can anyone advise how I can remedy my mistake without having to strip right back - I just can't face that!

First of all do not use PVA on your interior walls!

Are you sure it is vinyl silk that is on the walls, emulsion over emulsion should not craze like that. It may be a bad bucket of paint you got, does it smell off?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Smells like paint! Didn't know it was possible to get a bad paint batch.

Yes, it's definitely vinyl silk I'm painting over.

Smells like paint! Didn't know it was possible to get a bad paint batch.

Yes, it's definitely vinyl silk I'm painting over.

Oh believe me you can. If it has been sitting in a shop for a while it can go off, but if it smells okay your probably fine.

Is the matt paint drying fully on the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I'd bring the paint back to homebase complain and get a proper paint like Dulux or Crown. There paint is very poor in my opinion.
    I used it once to do a Bathroom and every time anyone took a shower the paint ran on the Walls of the Bathroom.

Yes, have let it dry enough to sand. Any suggestions? Might have to call in the professionals - so much or money saving DIY!

• Advertisement

sky6 wrote: »
    I'd bring the paint back to homebase complain and get a proper paint like Dulux or Crown. There paint is very poor in my opinion.
    I used it once to do a Bathroom and every time anyone took a shower the paint ran on the Walls of the Bathroom.
    I may well do this but it doesn't really solve the problem. Unless you're suggesting a better/branded paint would cover my crazy paving affect?

Yes, have let it dry enough to sand. Any suggestions? Might have to call in the professionals - so much or money saving DIY!

You could give it a coat of a dulux supermatt, I would definately carry the paint back to homebase though. Tell them what happened with the paint. And get them to swap it for dulux or fleetwood.

There's also a product called 123 primer from zinsser. Altough it may be expensive depending on the size of tje room!

Thankfully it's small, top half of a downstairs loo, bottom half tiled. So, thank you will definitely look at the primer. The only reason I bought the Homebase paint was because I liked the colour but at €25ish it wasn't particularly cheap. Will go back armed with my best 'don't mess with this lady' attitude!

Thanks for the advice.

Thankfully it's small, top half of a downstairs loo, bottom half tiled. So, thank you will definitely look at the primer. The only reason I bought the Homebase paint was because I liked the colour but at €25ish it wasn't particularly cheap. Will go back armed with my best 'don't mess with this lady' attitude!

Thanks for the advice.

Is there a shower in there?

No. No condensation. The walls were very clean.

• Advertisement

No. No condensation. The walls were very clean.

Do you use any products to clean the walls that may be reacting with the paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah matt over silk is always a disaster. Id say the paint is sliding and not applying to the wall. This might look like its cracking but it prob isnt.

Too late now but it has to be sanded like crazy prior to paint. Now id lightly apply another couple of coats. The matt will take but it will take mulitple coats unfortunately.

Its actually a good idea to put silk in a bathroom but a nightmare when redoing it.

Good luck.

Advertisement