Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix cracked roof tile cement?

Options
  • 09-08-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

There are cracked in the cement both front and back of my house and I'd like to fill them in. I've looked online and haven't been able to find anything at all on the topic.

Can anyone here offer any advice or link to a site that describes how to do it and what materials to use?

Heres how the back roof looks :-

266507.jpg

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

I had to repair something similar on my extension but the pointing was a lot worse than yours due to it being poorly installed in the first place.

To fix mine, I removed the old sand and cement (pointing) and made up a new mix with a red dye added to match the roof tiles and re-pointed it.

But in your case, the cracks are so minor that I would probably just try mixing up a small bit of sand and cement (fairly wet mix) and try patching it up. If that works and doesn't crack after a week or so, I would paint the pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You will need to open the cracks wider and deeper to have any chance of sealing the cracks. Don't do it on a hot day as it will dry to quick and crack again. Use a good quality cement adhesive additive to help it stick and seal.
    That should cure the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Flexim works well for this kind of application.
    Easy to work and sticks very well where there is movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for the advice. The cement isn't moving so I'm afraid of trying to remove more in case i break off bits of roof slate so I think I'll try this Flexim stuff. Afterwards is there any merit in painting it all with a sealant?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. The cement isn't moving so I'm afraid of trying to remove more in case i break off bits of roof slate so I think I'll try this Flexim stuff. Afterwards is there any merit in painting it all with a sealant?
    No need Flexim dries off waterproof.
    You can get it in different colours, black,red, green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks CJhaughey , do you anyone in Dublin that sells it? I tried looking online but didn't get very far. Was thinking of calling Chadwicks and Woodies and seeing if they stock it.

Advertisement