Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New roof for a shed - how and how much

• 02-08-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

at the moment our shed roof looks like this:
    Shed_zpscd78b33f.jpg

we'd like to change it to something similar to this:
    woodenshed_zps28faa146.jpg

It must have a good size overhang to redirect water away from the sides of the shed and provide some extra storage space for say garden tools etc. Now when it's raining water is running down on the sides of the shed - that's definitely not adding extra service years to the shed.

so the question is or are: what's the best way to do it? is it ok just to slap the new roof on the top of the existing one? is it easy enough project to do? how much materials would cost and where to source the corrugated steel (or plastic) sheeting?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

j@utis wrote: »

It must have a good size overhang to redirect water away from the sides of the shed and provide some extra storage space for say garden tools etc. Now when it's raining water is running down on the sides of the shed - that's definitely not adding extra service years to the shed.

so the question is or are: what's the best way to do it? is it ok just to slap the new roof on the top of the existing one? is it easy enough project to do? how much materials would cost and where to source the corrugated steel (or plastic) sheeting?

Thanks in advance!

Surely you know that you will not gain any additional interior storage space as a result of just changing the roof ? The incline of the panels will be the same as present. To increase the pitch would involve surgery on both the front and rear shed walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I understand that. I'm talking about outside storage. my grandfather had brackets attached under the roof overhang where he stored garden tools like brushes, forks, hoes etc. I thought that was very handy. also gutters for collecting rain water would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I understand that. I'm talking about outside storage. my grandfather had brackets attached under the roof overhang where he stored garden tools like brushes, forks, hoes etc. I thought that was very handy. also gutters for collecting rain water would be nice.

Strip the felt off, lay battens on the roof and fix the sheeting on them.

Make sure you get the proper fixings and the ridge piece and the end trims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

While you are changing the roof...........

Stick a rain water butt on the side or back of the shed and fix some guttering and a downpipe to the sides/back of the shed.

You will get a nice soft water for the garden and plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

monkeynuz wrote: »

Strip felt off ??? Why? Just lay battens on top, that way you have an extra layer of protection.

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »

Strip felt off ??? Why? Just lay battens on top, that way you have an extra layer of protection.

I agree with Boiled-egg: extra layer wouldn't do any hard that's for sure.
    any suggestions where to source sheeting and estimated cost of this project?

I agree with Boiled-egg: extra layer wouldn't do any hard that's for sure.
    any suggestions where to source sheeting and estimated cost of this project?

If you were near Galway I'd suggest Newell roofing products. They will pre cut the sheeting to your desired length that way there's no messing around.
    I'd say there are similar businesses dotted around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Boiled-egg wrote: »

Why? Because it is a neater more professional less bodgy job, manky old felt can keep in damp.

If you are using a breathable underlay why leave the felt?

I just prefer a proper job to be done, a builder I had wanted to leave the felt, I made him remove the sheeting, take off the felt and redo the sheeting....he won't be working for me again.

Take off the old felt and dispose of it.

Some breathable roof felt/membrane...(Daltex TX)

Some 2 x 1 PT battons.

And some non drip tile effect cladding.

Job done in a few hours and not exactly rocket science either.

• Advertisement

any idea on the price of materials? approx? I'm still trying to convince my other half that we really need this and it'll cost peanuts...

any idea on the price of materials? approx? I'm still trying to convince my other half that we really need this and it'll cost peanuts...

Under 2 euro for a 16 foot length of PT 2 x 1.
    You will need say 4 lengths...so that well under 8 euro.

35-40 euro for a roll of a 50 meter roll Daltex breathable.....(you can then sell whats left on Donedeal or adverts.ie for 20-25 euro)

Both the above can be had in any builders providers

Tile effect cladding and screws/bolts are cheap enough in offcut sizes...(look on Donedeal).

It wont cost alot,it will be done propperly and the roof will outlive the actual shed itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Probably should remove the felt. If there's any moisture trapped in it, it'll rot under the galvanize. Some felts only last 5 years anyways.

Advertisement