Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended fuel for a stanley oisin multifuel stove?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

We just had a stanley oisin stove fitted a few weeks ago. The first week we got a bag of black diamond fireflame smokeless coal which produced fantastic heat.

In the week that followed I done some research and found out that not all types of coal are suitable for multifuel stoves, including the fireflame which I used the first week

I went to a local builders yard and he recommended black diamond union nuggets. They burn very well but dont produce anywhere near the same amount of heat as the coal we used on the first week and they burn very quick.

For any multifuel owners out there... what coal are you using in your stove and can you recommend a place in Dublin that sells it at a good price.

thanks in advance

R.P.S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Where are you located???
    Bnm briquettes work very well in a Stive that size.
    If you can get ecobrite its a very good smokeless coal for stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

i am located in ballyfermot

ive heard great things about ecobright but cant find anywhere that sells it locally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Have a look at the Stafford Superior Anthracite Ovoid (http://www.staffordfuels.ie/index.php?contentid=anthracite-fuel-range) as a possible fuel for the stove, we have started using them lately after the Galtee Fuels ecobrite got too expensive.

For stockists of ecobrite you could contact argina fuels - http://www.arignafuels.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thanks for your reply tommy, I'm gonna call Stafford fuels now

Are you using that anthracite in a stove? How does it burn?
    Is it easy to light?
    Does it give off good heat?

Cheers fella
    tommycahir wrote: »
    Have a look at the Stafford Superior Anthracite Ovoid (http://www.staffordfuels.ie/index.php?contentid=anthracite-fuel-range) as a possible fuel for the stove, we have started using them lately after the Galtee Fuels ecobrite got too expensive.

For stockists of ecobrite you could contact argina fuels - http://www.arignafuels.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm having a similar issue with my oisin, used the fireflame smokless and got great heat from it but now using BNM stove specific coal and the heat is no where near as good unless you use loads of coal

I find that I have to give the grate a good shake every now with the stove coal

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply tommy, I'm gonna call Stafford fuels now

Are you using that anthracite in a stove? How does it burn?
    Is it easy to light?
    Does it give off good heat?

Cheers fella

Yeah I am using the Ovoids in the link above and am getting them at €15 a bag for 40kg from the local farmers co-op. They key to any coal is having the fire going with some kindling and a log or 2 1st then add the coal. The ovoids will take a little while to get going but once they are the heat is amazing from them, I haven't seen the house/rads this warm in a long time.
    jameshayes wrote: »
    I find that I have to give the grate a good shake every now with the stove coal
    That would be good practice with any multifuel stove as the ashes build up on the grate overtime and can restrict the airflow around the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭jack of all

I burn a mix of fuel in my stove, depending on how cold it is outside. I generally will use wood kindling and briquettes to start the fire and get it going. Then I'll use Ecobrite, which I find good, if a little pricey. If the heat dies down I throw on a hardwood split block or two to get the Ecobrite going again as on its own it can die down. I recently got some anthracite which I had bought in anticipation of colder weather but it's too mild to use now. The anthracite is great stuff but I wouldn't overdo it as it does have a higher heat value than any of the other fuels and I'd be wary of burning out the grate or firebars. Briquettes burn well but produce a lot of ash and you need to avoid a build up of ash to protect your grate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Hi Tommy , Have you any idea where you can get the stafford superior anthracite ovoids for a multi stove , i emailed staffords but the email bounced back. I am in dublin Northside Thanks in advance

scholes wrote: »
    Hi Tommy , Have you any idea where you can get the stafford superior anthracite ovoids for a multi stove , i emailed staffords but the email bounced back. I am in dublin Northside Thanks in advance

unfortunately not mate as I am based in Carlow, it might be best giving them a ring if the email bounced back (from their site Phone: 051 422288)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

unfortunately not mate as I am based in Carlow, it might be best giving them a ring if the email bounced back (from their site Phone: 051 422288)

thanks tommy ill give them shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

did you ever locate a Dublin stockist?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Just a word of warning, the overuse of ANY coal will reduce the lifespan of the stove and you will have to replace internal parts frequently (every 2/3 years - Grate, Baffle and Firebricks)

Advertisement