Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player on IPad

Options
  • 31-07-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Now that we can use the BBC Iplayer on the IPad I wonder will RTE follow with their own. It would be very handy if they did. I have to say the the Iplayer is great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

h2s wrote: »
    Now that we can use the BBC Iplayer on the IPad I wonder will RTE follow with their own. It would be very handy if they did. I have to say the the Iplayer is great.

I have to ask are the Ipads worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

h2s wrote: »

RTÉ said that they plan to lauch an app late this year or early next year. TV3 already have one, if that is any use to you.
    I have to ask are the Ipads worth buying?

I have to say no, nice gizmo but that is all it is. You need a credit card or a iPod gift card to download free apps :( and other reasons.

40D doesn't have rights for certain programmes on 4OD iPad because its a mobile device :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Thanks Elmo for info on TV3.

I have to say I find the IPad great. As with any gadget it is not perfect and there are some drawbacks. For example some website have problems with drop down lists and scroll bars. The inability to display flash sites is another obvious one.

It is great with movies.

Yes you do need a card of some sort for purchases and the O2 money card is handy for that.

The 4OD app is strange, in a friends house I could watch programmes however at back at home nothing happens. He is with eircom, I am with UPC.

i was able to watch channel 4 shows on the ipad but not us programming.

o2 card is the biggest rip off.

the apple id requires that you provide cc or as you say some form of payment device details regardless of if you are buying apps or not, e.g. free apps, in fairness to 4od this was to make sure you are over 18.

the lack of usb or card port is also annoying for such an expensive product, and don't get me started on the mini sim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

money , money , money:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

Elmo wrote: »
    the apple id requires that you provide cc or as you say some form of payment device details regardless of if you are buying apps or not, e.g. free apps, in fairness to 4od this was to make sure you are over 18.
    Completely untrue. You can create an iTunes account with a payment method of "None". I have done this for irish, UK and US accounts.

UK/ US tv is available if you have a UK/ US VPN that are available e.g. blackvpn.

talla wrote: »
    Completely untrue. You can create an iTunes account with a payment method of "None". I have done this for irish, UK and US accounts.

UK/ US tv is available if you have a UK/ US VPN that are available e.g. blackvpn.

I tried it still wanted credit card details every time I went to create the account. I have filled out the form and I get payment method and Billing address, where at this point do I select "None"? I am currently on my PC.

4OD is available in Ireland, I don't think the iPod service in ROI is that different to UKs, especially as I can see US shows on 4OD on their main website.

I can see the iPad being good for somethings but there are other tablets on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I tried it still wanted credit card details every time I went to create the account. I have filled out the form and I get payment method and Billing address, where at this point do I select "None"? I am currently on my PC.

4OD is available in Ireland, I don't think the iPod service in ROI is that different to UKs, especially as I can see US shows on 4OD on their main website.

I can see the iPad being good for somethings but there are other tablets on the market.
    If you go to a Free App, and go to download it, it will give you the option to select 'None' as an option. But it must be a free App.

The reason US Shows aren't on the iPad App is because they have to get the rights to show the content on a mobile device, but Channel 4 have said it is coming.

Dman001 wrote: »
    If you go to a Free App, and go to download it, it will give you the option to select 'None' as an option. But it must be a free App.

The reason US Shows aren't on the iPad App is because they have to get the rights to show the content on a mobile device, but Channel 4 have said it is coming.

I understand that free apps are free. My point is to set up an Apple ID you need a CC or some type of payment method, I want to set up an apple ID without giving payment details. (Perhaps there is away, but I can't seem to find it on their registration form.)

Yes I know the reason why US Shows aren't on 4OD and it is a bit ridiculous that US rights holders not only want On Demand Rights and Broadcast Rights but also Mobile On Demand Right, no wonder so many people download illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

I understand that free apps are free. My point is to set up an Apple ID you need a CC or some type of payment method, I want to set up an apple ID without giving payment details. (Perhaps there is away, but I can't seem to find it on their registration form.)

Just tried again and have no problems setting up an account with a payment method of "none".
    Completely sign out of the apple store in iTunes.
    Click on app to download.
    When prompted, to sign in, click create new account.
    Enter email address and secret question.
    On the next page, one of the payment options beside credit cards is "None".

• Advertisement

Just tried again and have no problems setting up an account with a payment method of "none".

I will try it later, better work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

get an Android Tablet, no need for any apps and it supports flash, I can watch RTE\4OD player just fine on my Galaxy Tab and BBC player works great through my UK proxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I will try it later, better work.

It will work, it always has worked.

screencaptureel.png

screencaptureel.png

Just checked on the iPad no option not to provide cc details or payment details.

I think you have to do it through iTunes on a computer.

I think you have to do it through iTunes on a computer.

There are many people who will buy the iPad as an alternative to a PC/Mac. It is a very frustrating and expensive gizmo, IMO.

Personally I don't think it'll ever replace a Laptop/PC. But Apple certainly didn't make it easy to register without a Credit Card, they really want to have it to keep you spending.

Personally I don't think it'll ever replace a Laptop/PC. But Apple certainly didn't make it easy to register without a Credit Card, they really want to have it to keep you spending.

I didn't say replace I said alternative. There are plenty of people who use their PC just for the internet, tablets will replace netbooks.

Oppps sorry misread. But yep, it's a great alternative. But that's a discussion for a different thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

You need a credit card or a iPod gift card to download free apps

You can download the free apps without a credit card but you do need one for the paid ones.

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »
    You can download the free apps without a credit card but you do need one for the paid ones.

No you don't, you can buy an iTunes voucher in umpteen shops.

No you don't, you can buy an iTunes voucher in umpteen shops.

So yes you do need a payment method to get an AppleID when registering on an Ipad
    pbarr wrote: »

We just discussed this. Free apps are free, however if you want to register an Apple ID on the iPad then you are required to provide a method of payment even if you are just downloading a free app. You won't be charged but it is still a required field.

So yes you do need a payment method to get an AppleID when registering on an Ipad

maybe you should read the post, it says credit card to buy paid apps
    and like I said you do not need one.

maybe you should read the post, it says credit card
    and like I said you do not need one.

Maybe you should look back through the thread. Sorry if I am being snappy.
    I have to say no, nice gizmo but that is all it is. You need a credit card or a iPod gift card to download free apps :( and other reasons.

40D doesn't have rights for certain programmes on 4OD iPad because its a mobile device :rolleyes:

The discussion then continued from there.
    Just checked on the iPad no option not to provide cc details or payment details.

Maybe you should look back through the thread.

Maybe you should look back through it, because I already told you ages ago on this thread, you don't need a credit card.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

As for being snappy, that's entirely up to yourself.

screencaptureel.png

You gave me this screen shot. I will try again on the iPad using the new method that you gave me. But the ipad only gave me options for AMEX, VISA and MC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

You have to use PC/MAC & iTunes and just download free app to register with the none option. Have done this for many a person.

Back to the original question of RTE player. I watch RTE player on the iPad but through a word around that works well. I use an app called Splashtop. It's similar to LogmeIn but works extremely well with sound. Can use any flash site really as it's just your PC desktop.

The OH got the iPad to replace her netbook and she really do love it. Try Flipbook I think it's called. Really nice to have all your twitter, Facebook, Google Reader feeds like a book basically.

AntiRip wrote: »
    You have to use PC/MAC & iTunes and just download free app to register with the none option

Again NO you don't, or at least I don't.

This is my personal iPad, this was done 30 seconds ago.

photo3go.jpg

Again NO you don't, or at least I don't.

This is my personal iPad, this was done 30 seconds ago.

photo3go.jpg

I can honestly say that none did not appear for me. I will try again. Is that an Ipad 2 but I don't see how that should change things

• Advertisement

Don't know anything about the ipad2 but I doubt if it's different. I have did it for at least 10 people in the past, I just did it on the iPad, and I have just tried it now on my iPhone 4, all worked first time so :confused:

photov.png

Advertisement