Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE presenters

Options
  • 16-06-2010 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

or whatever you call them. RTE have the crappest presenters I've ever heard. You know the people: A game will be advertised on RTE say Cavan Vs. Fermanagh, and they have some dumbass that says "In a game neither team wants to lose"

Really?? Is that the best they can come up with. Logic please. Obviously both teams don't want to lose. That's why they're playing each other. Come on!
    If they could just be a little creative like "a gmae both teams desperately want to win" it would be slightly less foolish. There's a man and a woman on RTE that do this and they both seem to be reading from the same hymn sheet. They both sound as intelligent as my cat, and I'm not joking. I have no doubt there's plenty of little backwater old boys clubs in Donnybrook but could they not make them come up with better.

On the +, the visuals for RTE are very good. The little green snap flowers (venus flytraps) etc. all look nice and suit RTE. It's not the visuals, it's the running commentary which is truly awful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

akkadian wrote: »
    A game will be advertised on RTE say Cavan Vs. Fermanagh, and they have some dumbass that says "In a game neither team wants to lose"

They are doing well if this is all that is wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    They are doing well if this is all that is wrong with them.
    I think they are doing ok, but that is really annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They aren't wrong though are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Typical sports commentators oxymoronisms: saying things that are really all that necessary.

It's a game of two halves.

I think the title of the thread should be renamed Sports Commentators.

Elmo wrote: »
    I think the title of the thread should be renamed Sports Commentators.

I got the opinion that the thread was about those who introduce the programmes after the ad break.

• Advertisement

I got the opinion that the thread was about those who introduce the programmes after the ad break.

AH! Continuity Announcers.

RTÉ's like Puns
    TV3's like to say "Up Next on 3" in a smirky way
    TG4's well .... are their weather girls! lait3.jpg
    UTV :(

Yes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

George Hamilton after the Rob Green mistake in the England v USA game:

"The goalkeeping crisis is back. Rob Green preffered to Calamity James, the name that David James is called, has thrown England back in it. Hart on the bench, the best of the three, and Green has thrown the vote of confidence right into the bin".

Now that's QUALITY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Get

Most of the sports panelist are over 60+; I h8 looking at half time analyzes or after a full game cause they hav knw idea what ther talking bout. As football is so different than it was 40 odd yearz ago this is for gaa and soccer...

All the RTE world cup presenters should be sacked, there all over payed too :mad:

Mick Daly wrote: »

"The goalkeeping crisis is back. Rob Green preffered to Calamity James, the name that David James is called, has thrown England back in it. Hart on the bench, the best of the three, and Green has thrown the vote of confidence right into the bin".

Now that's QUALITY.

Hamilton is absolute brutal. A chronic commentator and if i hear him referring to '99 in Barcelona when his beloved Manchester United got 2 goals in injury time, again i think i might just attack my 50 inch plasma screen with a sledgehammer

What a cock he is! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Hamilton is absolute brutal. A chronic commentator and if i hear him referring to '99 in Barcelona when his beloved Manchester United got 2 goals in injury time, again i think i might just attack my 50 inch plasma screen with a sledgehammer

What a cock he is! :rolleyes:

I think you'll find he's an Arsenal supporter.

Get wrote: »
    All the RTE world cup presenters should be sacked, there all over payed too :mad:

You sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

whichever station i watched called the english goal keeper "calamity green"!!

NO THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

How much are they getting payed to do the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

To be fair to Giles, Dunphy and the rest they filled the void the muppet show left when it finished.:)

Mick Daly wrote: »

Now that's QUALITY.
    haha, at least it's funny though, albeit inadvertently maybe. It's better than:
    "Brazil play South Korea in a game neither team wants to lose"
    They may as well just give up and say "Brazil are playing South Korea."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

The women sports presenters are the worst, not Tracey Pigott but the three new ones they've brought in; Evan Something, Joanne Cantwell and Jackie Hurlihy, they're all terrible. They remind me of the kind of girls that call everyone "lads". Really tomboyish, just doesn't work.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    The women sports presenters are the worst, not Tracey Pigott but the three new ones they've brought in; Evan Something, Joanne Cantwell and Jackie Hurlihy, they're all terrible. They remind me of the kind of girls that call everyone "lads". Really tomboyish, just doesn't work.

Is it Sandra Hurlihy that is one of RTE's news reporters. A cat could do a better job than her..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Tracy Piggott is by a long long long way worse than any of the girls mentioned. Its not even remotely close. I think those girls are well informed and well able to speak about sports knowledgably. Piggott is just a permanent facepalm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

akkadian wrote: »
    or whatever you call them. RTE have the crappest presenters I've ever heard. You know the people: A game will be advertised on RTE say Cavan Vs. Fermanagh, and they have some dumbass that says "In a game neither team wants to lose"

I just heard this promo, and thought exactly the same thing. But then again all of the football commentary / interviews is all cliche..... RTE Football coverage is poor, and the panel are extremely poor. Two petty, parochial wafflers and a boring school teacher. Not a patch on the soccer coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hamilton is absolute brutal. A chronic commentator and if i hear him referring to '99 in Barcelona when his beloved Manchester United got 2 goals in injury time.
    He's an Arsenal fan.. And he did a hell of a job maintaining objectivity when Arsenal were losing 3-0 to United in the CL Semi Final last year. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

ya agree, i have no problem with women presenters but think they just bring them in for a female face just for the sake of having a female on screen. dosent work. tracy is fine doing the horses, she knows her stuff and she normally does the interviews after the irish rugby games aswell which is fine.

Shane10 wrote: »
    ya agree, i have no problem with women presenters but think they just bring them in for a female face just for the sake of having a female on screen. dosent work. tracy is fine doing the horses, she knows her stuff and she normally does the interviews after the irish rugby games aswell which is fine.

7:15 just now on RTE 2 This weekend "Tyrone take on Down in a match noone wants to lose"

I really needed to hear that. I was assured that Down desperately wanted to lose that match but now I am more wise. Now I know they both want to win. Thanks RTE!

He's an Arsenal fan.. And he did a hell of a job maintaining objectivity when Arsenal were losing 3-0 to United in the CL Semi Final last year. .

Source????

He is always praising united players when they play for their countries. The full club title "Manchester United" always has to be used. He once claimed he could have been gracing the old trafford turf had it not been for an achilles (Ye right George :pac::pac::pac: )
    He continuously refers to 1999.
    St Pats played Longford i think in an FAI cup final some years back. Longford were 1-0 in injury time and George of course had to mention united getting thier two goals in 1999 just like he always does when a team needs 2 goals in injury time. Arsenal fan my b*llocks! He once said about Tony Adams, "He fell like a donkey and got up like a muel". one of our greatest ever captains...ye some fan alright :rolleyes:

Every game no matter who is involved...... that bloody club has to get a mention! :mad:

"Manchester United's new signing" came on tonight and old Georgie boy had to remind the viewers who this player has just joined in his usual enthusiastic voice.

Then "Manchester United's" new boy scored and Georgie boy was pissing his pants again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Not to go too off topic or sounds like some kind of sectarian nutter, but George Hamilton...how come a guy with a very unionist sounding name, who's from the north, is such a huge Republic of Ireland fan?

I like him and all and am happy whoever supports Ireland but always wondered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Ger Canning is worst by far. Hate his voice, always says stupid things and makes basic mistakes.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Ger Canning is worst by far. Hate his voice, always says stupid things and makes basic mistakes.

Des Cahill seems to have really let go a bit. Always looks a bit like a broken down sack of spuds these days. Can't blame him. Life's **** eh Des?

Most of the sports panelist are over 60+; I h8 looking at half time analyzes or after a full game cause they hav knw idea what ther talking bout. As football is so different than it was 40 odd yearz ago this is for gaa and soccer...

They are way way better than those British ones. They speak the truth and they're not afraid. THey may be stupid also but it's good value for money. It'll be a sad day when Dunphy, Giles and Bill retire.

Bill is retiring after the 2012 Olympics. This is jis last world cup. 'tis very sad.

• Advertisement

"Manchester United's new signing" came on tonight and old Georgie boy had to remind the viewers who this player has just joined in his usual enthusiastic voice.

Then "Manchester United's" new boy scored and Georgie boy was pissing his pants again.

In all fairness he'd say the same thing if hesigned for Chelsea.

Advertisement