Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas boiler replacement

• 25-06-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Some advice needed. Im going to replace the gas boiler in my house and have had a number of quotes from a plumber, bord gais and airtricity.

Airtricty quoted in putting in a Vaillant system boiler, replacement controls, 2 zone controls, cylinder stat, magna cleaner and magna cleanser and some trv's.
    BG quoted for a glowworm boiler, think its a system boiler, need to confirm, keeping the current controls I have, didn’t mention a cylinder stat and some trv's
    and the
    plumber a Worcester system boiler, and the rest the same as airtricy.
    This is what I’ve been quoted.
    Airtricty comes in at 3200
    BG 3100
    Plumber 3300

What’s are people options on the quotes, am I being ripped off or is this the norm? Is a system boiler the correct choice or should I look at a combination boilder instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Regards BG i cant believe you have been quoted that for a boiler only:eek:.

The other two with out looking would be close to the norm for an overhaul of the system that your getting.

Vaillant would be a better boiler but Worcester has a better warranty and back up service (5years if he is a Worcester reg installer) See if they will trough in a pre-insulated cylinder if you dont already have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Thanks for the reply JohnnieK.

I’ve been told the Vaillant will come with a 5 year warranty.

I need the clarify BG as it seems very expensive just for a boiler replacement.

Ive already have a copper cylinder hot press but it needs to be lagged.

Just to add the airtricity quote has already factored in the 560 seai grant.

I have another quote for Baxi Megaflow system boile (comes with 5 years warranty) comes in at €3,200 and that’s before I apply for the grant.

So what order would you put these boilers in

Baxi, Worcester, Vaillant or Glowworm? Im now favouring the Baxi install due to the total cost but how does the boiler compare to the others?

In order i would put Valiant and Worchester up front. Then glow-worm and finally Baxi. Sorry but i have just come across to many problems with Baxis over the years. The new generation megafow looks neat but they are literally off the shelf but they couldn't be worse then the last one.

For the Airtricity and BG price i would be insisting on a new pre-insulated cylinder. Much better than just a jacket around your existing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Regards BG i cant believe you have been quoted that for a boiler only:eek:.

The other two with out looking would be close to the norm for an overhaul of the system that your getting.

Vaillant would be a better boiler but Worcester has a better warranty and back up service (5years if he is a Worcester reg installer) See if they will trough in a pre-insulated cylinder if you dont already have one.

Depending on the model of Worcester boiler we (*) can offer up to a 7 Year Warranty.
    They have recently added the non-system Greenstar Ri model to the 7 year warranty list!!

(* By we I mean Worcester Accredited Installers *)

Looking at the prices quoted above I think I need to up mine!! ;);)

What area are you in OP??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I don't see how Vailliant is any better than the Worchester, more complex controls and diagnostics, but to the end user I could not justify the increased cost of the boiler

• Advertisement

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Depending on the model of Worcester boiler we (*) can offer up to a 7 Year Warranty.
    They have recently added the non-system Greenstar Ri model to the 7 year warranty list!!

(* By we I mean Worcester Accredited Installers *)

Looking at the prices quoted above I think I need to up mine!! ;);)

What area are you in OP??

Looking for a bit of work there MiniGolf??

DGOBS wrote: »
    I don't see how Vailliant is any better than the Worchester, more complex controls and diagnostics, but to the end user I could not justify the increased cost of the boiler

Who actually warrants Vaillant in Ireland now?

We both know where my allegiance lies with German Boilers :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Based on his comments id gladly take a quote ;)

Thanks for your replies JohnnieK.

logistic wrote: »
    Based on his comments id gladly take a quote ;)

Thanks for your replies JohnnieK.

Just one last thing. Make sure your system is chemically power flushed before the new boiler goes in. No point using a new engine on dirty oil ;) and the manufacturers recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Not for at least a month and a half.
    Can't keep up with it at the moment!!:D

I just finished my 14th straight day of work!!!! I need a rest :)

• Advertisement

Do you work for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Lennox121 wrote: »
    Fantastic service and what you pay for is what you get !! Thanks again justin & Connel

Hmmmmn a 6 month wait to re advertise your company , putting flyers would have been a better approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

unbelieveable

Hhhmmm enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

What a clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

What a clown
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

I did an AMAZING job last week.It was just awesome,i cant point that out enough.thanks again to ME and id gladly reccommend ME to anyone,anytime anywhere cos im ridiculously unbelievably brilliant.contact details below.....

LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi Guys,

Question re boiler replacement.. ours is at least 15 years old and wondering would we see an improvement in efficiency and runinng costs if we got it changed? Its an Ideal boiler...

Do Bord Gais do any kinds of scheme where you pay for the cost of a boiler replacement over a couple of years on your bill?

Cheers,
    Mick

Hi Guys,

Question re boiler replacement.. ours is at least 15 years old and wondering would we see an improvement in efficiency and runinng costs if we got it changed? Its an Ideal boiler...

Do Bord Gais do any kinds of scheme where you pay for the cost of a boiler replacement over a couple of years on your bill?

Cheers,
    Mick

If you're just changing the boiler you could look at between 5/10% on savings per annum.

I know they used to do it on the drip but not sure now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Just one last thing. Make sure your system is chemically power flushed before the new boiler goes in. No point using a new engine on dirty oil ;) and the manufacturers recommend it.

Is there a standard for that, so a customer knows they are getting what a manufacturer will accept so a warranty will not be voided?
    or does the installer have to be certified by the manufacturer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cerastes wrote: »
    Is there a standard for that, so a customer knows they are getting what a manufacturer will accept so a warranty will not be voided?
    or does the installer have to be certified by the manufacturer?

For the powerflush?

yes, but maybe more a checklist than a standard? for a customer from a customer perspective, so they know their warranty will be valid.
    there seems to be a variation on whats good and whats not good enough,
    ie how long might it be expected to take, guessing that wont be fixed for different places, but how will a customer know they have had a thorough and complete powerflush completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

yes, but maybe more a checklist than a standard? for a customer from a customer perspective, so they know their warranty will be valid.
    ie how long might it be expected to take, guessing that wont be fixed for different places, but how will a customer know they have had a thorough and complete powerflush completed.

First off chemical cleaner must be used. Fernox or sentinel.
    Ideally put into the system a few days beforehand.
    A powerflushing machine must be used on the day. My own machine has 3 extra large magnets but these aren't essential, it just makes the Job easier.
    It usually takes a full day to flush, depending in system size. After the flush inhibitor should be added. Ideally fernox or sentinel.

and for a warranty to remain valid with a manufacturer, is there something a customer should look for regarding this? other than a receipt.
    something that says a certain standard has been completed, even if it doesn't include every step, something to cover the customer should they need to follow any issue up with the manufacturer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

There is a warranty card that needs filling out and returned to the manufacturers to validate the warranty I have never sent one back ever and have gotten warranty calls no problem.i think it has to do with how big of a fish you are for instance if you buy a boiler every 2 weeks your a nobody if you buy 2 a day they will look after you

First off. The installer needs to use a machine for the powerflush. Good chemicals are a must like fernox, sentinal or kamco.

The flush lasts a day not a couple of hour's.
    The right amount of chemicals need to be used? Most will do up to 10 single panel rads in a domestic scenario.

When the system is refilled a good inhibitor is needed in the same quantities as the flushing chemical.

And regards warranty.
    Once the cupboard door is closed the home owner needs to remember there is a boiler and heating system there.

It needs to be maintained annually and if it is drained in any way more inhibitor needs to be added.

Advertisement