Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

??? about travel to UK on a US passport & Edinburgh hotels

Options
  • 17-10-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Going to Edinburgh in December on Ryanair. I have an expired Irish passport & a valid US one. I plan on traveling on the US passport, as for reasons that I won't bore you with, I can't get the Irish one renewed before the trip.The US passport does not have any visas for Ireland in it. I never needed them, as I am an Irish citizen.

Will my US passport be ok for travel on Ryanair and for entry into the UK? Or is there anything else I need to do/get/fill out. I will probably have the expired Irish passport with me when I travel, if I need to prove to anyone that I am legally entitled to live in Ireland. But as it will be an expired passport, I am not sure if it will be recognized as an official document.

I read somewhere here once that you can not check in online if you are traveling on a passport that was not issued within the EU. Is that true? If it is, will Ryanair charge me to check in at the airport and give me my boarding cards there?

Also Looking for suggestions for a decent hotel in Edinburgh that is close enough to the area where the Christmas market is, that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for that, but it doesn't answer whether or not the passport is enough. It just says that you have to have your documents checked. I don't want to be turned away from that check because there was some other piece of paperwork needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://www.tunehotels.com/my/en/our-hotels/haymarket-edinburgh/ - a really nice low cost hotel in a great location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

We have stayed here a number of times and really like it, in fact planning a return visit.

http://www.parliamenthouse-hotel.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Thanks for that, but it doesn't answer whether or not the passport is enough. It just says that you have to have your documents checked. I don't want to be turned away from that check because there was some other piece of paperwork needed.

US citizens do not need a visa, so no other paperwork is needed.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    A US passport is ok to travel on Ryanair however you will not be able to use it to check-in online and Ryanair will charge you €70 per segment to checkin at the airport or €140 for the roundtrip, a new Irish passport is €80 + €9.00 for passport express so you will have a new Irish passport back in around two weeks (10 working days).

Best advice is travel with Aer Lingus instead or else get the Irish passport renewed if you plan to travel on Ryanair.

Thanks for your input, but are you sure about that? Do you have something from the company itself to back your opinion up?

I was actually out in the airport today. I asked a member of Ryanair staff if I was able to check in online with a US passport. She told me that I could, but that I had to go to the check in desk before I went through security, have my passport inspected to make sure it was valid for my travel time periods, and get a stamp on my boarding pass that my documents had been checked. She explained that I would not be allowed board the plane without that stamp on my boarding pass.

I went to the desk that said "Bag Drop Off and Visa Check", where the staff member that I spoke to was actually taking bags off people, so I presume that she would have known what she was talking about.

I know about Passport Express, but as I stated previously, getting a replacement Irish passport is not an option just now, so I do have to travel on the US one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

This is what you will find in the link posted above:

"all non EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and online boarding pass stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security."

So you check in online, and get the online boarding card stamped at the check in desk. There's no question of having to pay for airport check in, and to suggest otherwise is scaremongering.

Thanks. I was thinking the very same thing. The Ryanair websites says that all passengers must check in online. There is no mention of non EU passport holders having to check in at the airport. Get their boarding passes checked and stamped yes, but not checking in itself.

Advertisement