Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you need a credit card to book a Hotel in Paris?

• 16-10-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭

I know this sounds like a silly question, but we have come up against a brick wall constantly while trying to find a hotel in Paris.

We both own Visa Debit cards, and not Visa Credit Cards (we refuse to own them - it would be dangerous!!) and nobody in either family apart from my grandmother would have one. It seems every time we go to book a hotel we're told 'sorry we don't take visa debit cards' and 'you must have access to a credit card in order to book the hotel'.

We understand that they need some sort of proof that we will pay and not simply, not turn up, as most hotels are a pay when you arrive, or don't give option for visa debit cards on their site. We have offered to pay a deposit or half, but they won't accept anything.

We have never had this problem before, people on other forums suggesting that it is because I have been using BOI Visa Debit card and some hotels will not accept them in their system for some reason!

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Sites like ebookers will accept debit cards fine, in most websites a visa debit card works if you select Visa. Are you booking on the phone or on a website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Sites like ebookers will accept debit cards fine, in most websites a visa debit card works if you select Visa. Are you booking on the phone or on a website?

I have tried both, one hotel, that I really liked (Atilier Montparnasse) told me that they 'do not accept visa debit cards' after my partner rang them, they emailed us that, as they didn't have great English and told him it would be 'easier by email'.

The next hotel we tried told us that our card was invalid for pre-authorization (Ariane Montparnasse) and that we would need a credit card.

I also tried booking the pay later option on Expedia.ie (who sent me a confirmation email) for the first hotel and they (Atilier) wouldn't accept it, even though the funds were there! Just frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oh jeez man you seem to be having the worst luck with this!

Tell you what: If you cannot find someone you know with a credit card who will pay for your accommodation and then for you re-imburse them via your debit card(s)...

Post that here.

I'll send you on my paypal address. You can transfer the monies into my account and e-mail me your hotel details; and I'll use my credit card and secure the booking for you with my card :)

If I can assist you that way, then just let me know,
    kerry4sam

/we'll get you both to Paris! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Generally if you use a site that allows you to pre-pay you can use your debit card, post pay requires some sort of pre-authorisation. You will also be asked for a card at check in as security, if you use a debit card they may put a hold on several hundred euro, akin to asking for a large cash deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Oh jeez man you seem to be having the worst luck with this!

Tell you what: If you cannot find someone you know with a credit card who will pay for your accommodation and then for you re-imburse them via your debit card(s)...

Post that here.

I'll send you on my paypal address. You can transfer the monies into my account and e-mail me your hotel details; and I'll use my credit card and secure the booking for you with my card :)

If I can assist you that way, then just let me know,
    kerry4sam

/we'll get you both to Paris! :)

Very nice of you, an I'm sure the OP is totally legit :D

Be aware though, booking.com for example just fax all of your credit card details to the hotel with you card number, expiry and ccv code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Very nice of you, an I'm sure the OP is totally legit :D

Be aware though, booking.com for example just fax all of your credit card details to the hotel with you card number, expiry and ccv code.

;)

No need to be concerned about me here. Thanks though, that's very kind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you book a chain hotel directly on a good deal they will normally take the cash off you there and then so a debit card should work.

By the way, Accor (i.e. novotel/ mercure/ ibis, and incidentally a french chain so 100s of hotels in Paris and the environs) have a 3 for the price of 2 sale on at the moment that might be of interest, and "Payment must be made online by card at the time of booking" so should work for visa debit. Its for exactly 3 nights so if staying longer you'll need a second booking but when checking in they will let you have the same room for the entire stay if you mention it to them.
    http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promotion/specials/september2013_europe.shtml

Their general terms and conditions even say that a card as a guarantee isnt needed when booking at a special rate so you should be fine with them so long as you prepay (which is the cheapest option anyhow!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'm not trying to be critical and I know it's probably not a whole lot of use to you right now but why not get a credit card in future for events like this? You can pay with a credit card and log straight on to internet banking and transfer the funds straight over if you're nervous about it. Never got the whole taboo some people have about getting a credit card. If you've got a good head on you you'll never spend more then you can afford using it and will pay it off in good time.

Trying to be more helpful now, have you thought about a hostel maybe? Could get a double room in a more upscale type hostel. They usually let you pay on arrival by any means with only 10% payable on booking on hostel world or hostel bookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

I was brought up in a world of my parents warning me not to get loans, don't use credit cards etc, so that's probably where I'd get it from.

I may get one when I'm older but right now, I'd really rather not get one as I know myself I would abuse it, no matter how much I promise myself I wouldn't! Not many people in their early 20's would be admit to that, but I have no problem doing so!

I don't think I'd stay in a hostel, just really not my scene, but will keep it in mind if all else fails, I'd rather a clean hostel than a nasty hotel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I was brought up in a world of my parents warning me not to get loans, don't use credit cards etc, so that's probably where I'd get it from.

I may get one when I'm older but right now, I'd really rather not get one as I know myself I would abuse it, no matter how much I promise myself I wouldn't! Not many people in their early 20's would be admit to that, but I have no problem doing so!

I don't think I'd stay in a hostel, just really not my scene, but will keep it in mind if all else fails, I'd rather a clean hostel than a nasty hotel!

You could just get one with a 100% Direct Debit and a small limit (500 Euro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That is very smart of you on one level, but unfortunately it makes going on holiday a lot more complicated than it really needs to be. Could you get a credit card and give it to someone for save keeping, only to be handed over for things agreed on in advance, such as hotel bookings? That is the arrangement that my aunt and my cousin have & it seems to work very well for them.

Btw, the need for a credit card isn't just to guarantee that the hotel gets paid for the room in case you don't show up. It also protects them when you get there, if you rack up big room service tabs, or parking fees, or bar & restaurant bills that you charge to the room. You can't get out of paying them if the hotel can bill your credit card company for them. It a different story if you show up with a debit card and all you have on it is the money to pay for your room. I'm not saying that you would do stuff that, but the hotels in question don't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

That's fair enough I guess, I got one when I started college, around 18 years old (mid-20's now), and have never missed a payment or done anything stupid (might have made a couple of questionable decisions on nights out but never more then €20 or 30 that I probably shouldn't have spent and it has a €600 limit on it anyway so could never have done something really stupid :pac:).

Tbh I couldn't live without it now, very handy for times when you're a bit short but know you'll have the money when you get paid in a couple of days or a week. As ProudDUB said also, it makes life much easier when booking holidays. Most current situation is that I was booking a holiday for myself and 2 mates but wouldn't have had near enough to book with my debit so put it all on credit, paid mine off and just got them to pay me back before end of the month, much less messy.

Advertisement