Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SAAB 9-5 2.2 TD - Info?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to source a "not your average" big Diesel saloon for a friend as per her request - she don't want to buy a merc, Bm or the like...........so - I'm thinking of suggesting this to her......

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/SAAB+9-5/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-17-20-43-51-63-112-4294966627-4294967116/search.action

It a SAAB 9-5 saloon 2.2td in auto.........slightly high miler -

thoughts -

What to look out for with a SAAB - never had much dealings with em' myself- any SAAB Guru's out there?who makes the engine - is it a GM unit? Reliable, robust? Timing chain/belt - what?
    Suspension? Any thing else of note..........

also, buy now this side of July or wait till post july to VRT? How does she stand on the emmesions re; VRT?

Thanks in advance.

NIF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

Hey niceirishfella, are you looking at 2nd hand or new?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That link doesn't show any car...

Contrary to popular belief, any recent Saab is not really a credible alternative to a premium brand car (as Saabs truely were imho before the company was bought by GM). All 9-3s and 9-5s are based on the '89 (:eek:) Opel Vectra platform. Granted with very comfortable and nice seats and interiors. The 2.2d is an old van engine from Isuzu (also owned by GM). It is the last engine I'd go for if I were to buy a recent Saab

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

unkel wrote: »

Contrary to popular belief, any recent Saab is not really a credible alternative to a premium brand car (as Saabs truely were imho before the company was bought by GM). All 9-3s and 9-5s are based on the '89 (:eek:) Opel Vectra platform. Granted with very comfortable and nice seats and interiors. The 2.2d is an old van engine from Isuzu (also owned by GM). It is the last engine I'd go for if I were to buy a recent Saab

I've a 9-3 and It's a world of difference compared to the bros Vectra. If I didn't actually also know that they are the same platform I'd be calling you a liar.

If I didn't actually also know that they are the same platform I'd be calling you a liar.

I had to think about that one for a few seconds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Previuos generation 9-5 was built on the previous generation Vectra B platform. The 2.2 diesel is a fairly old non common rail unit.

I had this engine in a previous vectra and while its fine on power, fuel consumption and refinement are nowhere near the levels of modern common rail diesels.

Faults to look out for are MAF failures, split fuel return pipes leaking and turbo problems. The first 2 issues are relatively minor but turbo failure is very costly.

Unless its going cheap i would avoid and stick with a more modern diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

AFAIK its actually a saab engine in that , not like the opel engines they normally use ( not the isuzu dezigned ones either )

there decent , you just have to do one simple test of the eletrics, remove the battery , get a jumper pack and run it that way , see if any funny noises or anything appear , if they do , bin the car.

done that with mine ( with reccomendation from several saaab mechanics ) and yeah , discovered that it needed a new alternator and several other parts....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The newer 1.9 TiD Fiat sources engine is light years ahead of the old GM 2.2 litre tractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

bazz26 wrote: »
    The newer 1.9 TiD Fiat sources engine is light years ahead of the old GM 2.2 litre tractor.

+1
    bad reliability issues and it is the engine to avoid (2.2). Resale prices reflect this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi Gents,

i'm looking for a 2nd hand bargain........but not a Bm or Merc.
    With ye on the 2.2td being not up there with the best of em'- and reale prices reflect this - but thats why it could be a bargain luxo barge......to drive her on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi Gents,

i'm looking for a 2nd hand bargain........but not a Bm or Merc.
    With ye on the 2.2td being not up there with the best of em'- and reale prices reflect this - but thats why it could be a bargain luxo barge......to drive her on.

But if the engine is as rough as people seem to think it is, then it's not a luxo-barge.

A bargain lux-barge for me would be something like a 750IL. Cheap purchase price, but not one for rush hour.

Edit - that was just an example, I know you're not looking for a BM.

What about a Lexus LS400 - that's seriously comfortable.

• Advertisement

Gotta be a Diesel Eoin.
    And why would'nt it be a luxo barge........loadza space,aircon,leathers, toys, comfort and uber safety - just not much of a badge but who cares.
    If i were looking for a petrol car, the lexus would be top of the list - good suggestion there.

What's your budget?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Gotta be a Diesel Eoin.
    And why would'nt it be a luxo barge........loadza space,aircon,leathers, toys, comfort and uber safety - just not much of a badge but who cares.
    If i were looking for a petrol car, the lexus would be top of the list - good suggestion there.

It's really a personal definition I suppose. I am by no means a
    "petrolhead" snob, but it's just that many people say it's a very unrefined engine by diesel standards, which could take away from the other extras. I do think SAABs are good value for money in general though once someone else has taken the depreciation.

6 to 8k sterling Bazz!

ok, you see - I don't want to source a merc, Bm, lexus (cos only petrol ones available) or the like and SAAB seems like a solution.......or Am I wrong?

Can someone suggest another diesel big, solid,comfy, safe car for 6 to 8k or less sterling in the uk.
    It has to have some sort of prestige/interest.........not a nissan or toyota or peugeot or the like if you get what i mean.

Suggestions please!

6 to 8k sterling Bazz!

How about a nice Volvo D5 arm chair?
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S80/D5-SE/981539/

Good suggestion!
    Ta.

cashmni1 wrote: »

Hi,

Thanks for another good suggestion......I forgot to say 4x4's or anything hard on juice will not be considered.......she's getting out of a thirsty 4x4 into a big diesel car for better ecomony.

I guess the engine can be no bigger than a 2.5 or smaller hopefully (to keep the road tax low)and has to deliver 40+mpg.

I don't know if it gets 40MPG or is within your price range (and I know it's not a premium brand), but what about a Peugeot 406 diesel coupe? Personally I think they are a fantastic looking car - they have aged very well, and I think will continue to do so.

Hmmmmmm, never thought of one of those Eoin..........Hmmmmmmm, or maybe a 607?
    Get one of those cheap......but maybe thats all it is.......is cheap!

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm, never thought of one of those Eoin..........Hmmmmmmm, or maybe a 607?
    Get one of those cheap......but maybe thats all it is.......is cheap!

I was going to mention a 607 as well, but thought it may not be premium enough. Here's a nice one. Here's a 406 diesel coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »

The current 9-3 is based on the soon to be retired Vectra C. The 9-5 is derived from the Godawful Vectra B though, possibly the worst car of the last decade, while the old 9-3 did indeed come from the Vectra A.

bazz26 wrote: »

Good find. Bargain!

Advertisement