Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting rid of the smell of spilled milk in the car

Options
  • 12-05-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Most of it is under the seat which makes it pretty inaccessible, so any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You are going to have to take the seat out, or get professional car cleaners involved. Spilt milk can lead to very nasty maggoty surprised in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Johnnyghia

If the problem was not tackled straight away I reckon your knackered. Happened to one of our work cars a git spilled a pint of milk in the footwell only did a half ass clear up with tissues and left it. Needles to say a bit of heat with the windows up car smelt( stank to high hell). Car has been valeted a few times since still stinks; more on a hot day.:mad:
    Hate getting stuck driving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The only one solution to spilt milk in a car and that is to replace the car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

ask your milkman or enquire at a local creamery. They have fluid which kills the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Happened me a few years ago. Spilt without me knowing on the back seat and went in under where you lift the seat up for folding down. Only copped it when it started to stink.

I repeatedly scrubbed it with scalding hot water with dettol in it over the course of a couple of weeks and let as much air in as possible. That, and loads of Fabreeze cleared the smell. You won't get rid of it overnight but a bit of patience and scrubbing will sort it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Through some of this on it:

nescafe-cafe.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

No point crying over spilt milk.....

*takes coat...exits stage left* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

The only thing that works with this is a solution of water and vinegar I'm afraid. (2 parts water to one part vinegar).

You will have the vinegar smell for a while but it goes soon enough and takes the milk smell with it. It's very difficult to get rid of.

Scub the area with the vinegar or spray it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Baking soda is supposed to absorb the smell. The process is to leave it on overnight or something and vacuum it up the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Happened me a few months back-One of the kids splilled 2 litres of milk all over the car.

A car valetor I know recommended shake and vac(you know the carpet stuff) and it worked a treat for me anyway.

Shake the whole lot on to the stain,rub in with a brush and leave over night.Vacuum it up the next day and you should be sorted.Apparently the powder absorbs the smell and when you hoover it up the smell goes with it.

Its like the baking soda idea someone mentioned earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

voxpop wrote: »
    Baking soda is supposed to absorb the smell. The process is to leave it on overnight or something and vacuum it up the next day.

id assume that would work seeing as it will the lactic acid thats gonna stink! i spilled milk in my boyfriends car before (just dont tell him that!:D) and the smell was just cruel! i feel sorry for ya OP, hope something works!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Just take the seat out and clean it all up. The milk will have gone through the carpet and is now turning into buttermilk and cheese in the porous underlay. Nothing for it but a quick seat out, usually 4 bolts and lift back the carpet !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I was told that white vinegar is the best thing for removing milk smell. Work it into the milk stain then once you are satisfied that the smell is gone clean outhe the vinegar with asoap & water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Tauren wrote: »
    You are going to have to take the seat out, or get professional car cleaners involved. Spilt milk can lead to very nasty maggoty surprised in the future.

If you need to take the seat out be aware of the air bags if your car has them. Many cars have electrical connectors and switches under the seats and disconnecting them can trigger the airbags. If you have that system (and it's safest to assume you have) disconnect the battery and leave it for at least ten minutes before doing anything. Otherwise you are likely to get a very irritated airbag in your right (or left) ear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

ART6 wrote: »
    If you need to take the seat out be aware of the air bags if your car has them. Many cars have electrical connectors and switches under the seats and disconnecting them can trigger the airbags. If you have that system (and it's safest to assume you have) disconnect the battery and leave it for at least ten minutes before doing anything. Otherwise you are likely to get a very irritated airbag in your right (or left) ear :D

Did not see this till after I had taken out the seat:( so I now have a flashing light on dashboard.
    Can I reset it or is it a garage/computer job?
    Its an 03 Volvo V70

In terms of cleaning I used a product called Interior1 by Turtlewax : got it in Halfords: its a foam that u spray on , rub in, rinse off and vac when dry.
    Used it twice, still a smell but much improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Barry Scott has the anser

5ueas4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

959212075a2046529580b148190575ml.jpg

Advertisement