Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring Myself On Loaned Car...

Options
  • 18-05-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Friends of mine (Sister-In-Law's Sister & her fiancé ;)) are gone travelling for 10 months. They've left their car in my sister-in-law's care and they've kindly offered the use of it to me, since it's sitting there doing nothing.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what's required for me to get insured on it. If possible, I'd like to take care of as much of the paperwork / organisation / hassle since they were so good as to lend it to me. Is there a way for me to just ring up any insurance company with the reg / model make / details, etc. and have myself insured? Or do I have to become a named driver on THE OWNER'S policy? I'd also like to get my fiancée insured on it as well, if it makes any difference.

(Obviously I will be paying for it myself, so it'd be nice to be able to pay upfront of my own accord rather than shuffle money to them, etc.)

Finally, since they're doing the whole travelling slumming thing, contact with them might be sparse enough - Another reason why it would be best if I could organise it myself!

Thanks,
    Seán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd start by ringing the owner's insurance company and seeing if you can be added to their policy temporarily. Should be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nicholi

If you have all their details try ringing insurance company. Don't bother with only going on policy on temporary basis. My brother broke his knuckle a few months ago so I volunteered to "mind" the car for him. When I rang Quin Direct to go on policy temporarily the max was 2 weeks, and I'd have to renew it after the 2 weeks. They were charging me €51 for the two weeks and when I asked how much it would cost to go on the insurance until renewal it was free! How long before they have to renew the policy?

Advertisement