Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Traffic Lights a danger?

Options
  • 28-07-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

The temporary traffic lights that have been until recently around Straffan and Celbridge take up to five minutes to change.

Surely such dwell times are unnecessary and have the potential to cause major accidents by causing drivers to jump the sequence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Temp lghts run on an automatic timer are a fupping pain, they are almost always set for too long a duration resulting in peeps taking a chance and filing through on red rather than spend time idling.

I've seen this sort of thing on a straight stretch end up with so many cars going through on red that the other end has gone green while cars are still halfway down the single lane zone result - mayhem! Either no-one waits at the far end so traffic ends up edging past each other or the green end waits (as it should) but the lights go red again before anyone can move off!

Then there are the lights either end of a bend on the road and someone goes piling in (having seen light turn red) with no idea what might be comming like a dump truck reverseing out of the lane being worked on. :eek:

Temp lights/signs should be manned, it costs more but is worth the money I'd say.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and have the potential to cause major accidents by causing drivers to jump the sequence.
    :rolleyes:
    "I couldn't help it your honour, the lights made me do it"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make a complaint in writing to the council and the Health and Safety Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im pretty sure i was stuck at those lights a couple of months back for LONGER than 5 mins.. closer to 10!!! And i was only 3 cars back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm livin' in Clane and working in Leixlip, these lights are the bane of my existence, and of others I am sure.

At one stage there were 4 sets in and around Barberstown Castle junction and the Maynooth road(Maynooth to Barberstown Castle, officially the Straffan Road).

I must say there is a definite improvement to the Barberstown Junction(a feckin' roundabout, what else), but only to head to Maynooth and be hit with not 1 but 2 sets of temperary lights. They are manned during the day, by well tanned blokes with a keen interest on their mobile phones. The traffic is still a pitiful joke though.

There seems to be "a lot done, a lot more to do", and no end date has been set.

Some solutions to you all who venture this route are..

Clane(and further out) to Maynooth via Barberstown - go through Rathcoffey instead, daily and nightly.

Clane(and further out) to Leixlip - Don't take a left at Barberstown, go down the new Celbridge bypass, and follow it up to the M4

Clane(and further out) to Town(Dublin) - go through Celbridge and down by Westen airfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement