Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RyanAir catching crap again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You've missed the point, nice does not always have to cost money.
    It kind of does, especially in a company that's operating such tight margins. They probably have everything monitored down to the last cent and second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

ScumLord wrote: »
    It kind of does, especially in a company that's operating such tight margins. They probably have everything monitored down to the last cent and second.

So smiling costs money then, eh?

They do smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im on about 4-6 Ryanair flights a year for the last 6 or 7 years and I've never had any problems with them. As long as you follow the rules which are clearly outlined then its grand and they are always on time.

I heard about this on newstalk this morning they were tut tutting as well and i thought it was a load of sh!te. It seems the media will take any opportunity to bash ryanair. Its a non story imo, the rules are there and they have to be followed by everyone. Its not like these kids didn't get to board the plane, all they had to do was re organise their luggage.

So many people bitching about why we are standing up for Ryanair. Well i for one am grateful for ryanair. I'm not rich and if it wasn't for them offering flights for the price of a night on the town I wouldn't have been able to travel all over europe, there would have been a lot more boring summers in ireland in the pissing rain. So yeah i will stick up for them when they haven't actually done anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Two points.

1. Ryanair do not force anyone to use their services.

2. The people who packed these bags are fucking dopes and inconvenienced those kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

I can never understand why people are always complaining about Ryanair.
    I use them all the time and have never had an issue.
    People complain about the cost of food onboard and the selling of scratch cards etc, most flights are under 2-3 hours so you're not going to starve if you don't have your toasted panini and as for the scratch cards a simple shake of the head and they keep going.

I laugh everytime I see muppets at the checkin desk complaining about
    overweight bags or carry on bags that are too big etc. Last summer on the way back from Alicante there was a group of 6 in front of us at the boarding gate who had at least 2-3 carry on bags each.
    I mentioned it to them that they might want to try and sort something out
    before they get to the gate. They laughed and said they would be fine.
    We get to the gate and low and behold they start screaming and shouting
    about how awful Ryanair are for making them pay extra for the bags.
    As I walked around them with my one carry on bag I couldn't help
    but laugh at the guy I had spoke to earlier.
    He didn't look too pleased with me.
    RyanAir get me where I want to go cheaply, I follow their rules and I have
    no issues with them.
    Its amazing that so many people say they will never fly Ryanair again but
    strangely enough Ryanairs passenger numbers are still one of the highest around.
    How is that possible??

Anyway long story short..Ryanair does exactly what it says on the tin and not been nice and cuddly hasn't affected their bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hmmmm....the 15kg limit is very well publicised and emphasied when booking. Showing up at the airport 5 kg over is just asking for trouble. To Ryanair they are just passengers, was any attempt made beforehand to forewarn Ryanair and they may have been more considerate under the circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Before Ryanair you had to pay four billion pounds to fly to London. Now it only costs 49cent.

Or something like that :rolleyes:

Yes but at least you were treated as human and not like cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

humanji wrote: »
    Thank god "the rules" override compassion these days. Sure f*ck the kids and the adults trying to do something nice for them.

The kids are "special".Their suitcases and their parents are not.Luggage weight is very important for aircraft safety and fuel loads etc.This was a big group,not one or two kids.Sounds like a few of these parents thought they were VIPs or something.They agreed to the rules when they booked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

It'd have been far more lousy uf Ryanair had hit them with a hefty excess baggage fine. And it'd have given the whingers in this thread more to whinge about.

As it is they gave them the chance to avoid the fine that they'd have incurred for not abiding by the terms and conditions of their policy. Seems pretty sound to me.

But whingers gonna whinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Yes but at least you were treated as human and not like cattle.

Of course. If you were part of the illuminati elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Two points.

1. Ryanair do not force anyone to use their services.

2. The people who packed these bags are fucking dopes and inconvenienced those kids.

A little humanity wouldn't go amiss! I suspect that people with seriously ill children in tow probably have more on their minds than the weight of their luggage. Another own goal from Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

15kg of drugs is too much for any day in fairness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If they allowed some passengers to have luggage over the allowed weight, then you can sure that there would be many claiming discrimination/unfair treatment when they are then forced to reduce their luggage weight.

One rule for all is the only way to go.

As it is they gave them the chance to avoid the fine that they'd have incurred for not abiding by the terms and conditions of their policy. Seems pretty sound to me.
    I've seen Ryanair staff allow people to do this whenever they're luggage was over. There's even videos on youtube of people doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

A little humanity wouldn't go amiss! I suspect that people with seriously ill children in tow probably have more on their minds than the weight of their luggage. Another own goal from Ryanair.

It doesn't seem that Ryanair were informed about this particular group. The prize was from another body, so they were to Ryanairs normal customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

People with a disability are always looking to be treated like everyone else.The minute they are treated like everyone else,they claim they are being "humiliated".You can't have it both ways people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

repsol wrote: »
    People with a disability are always looking to be treated like everyone else.The minute they are treated like everyone else,they claim they are being "humiliated".You can't have it both ways people.

Popcorn,Popcorn for sale! get your popcorn!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ffs, how is this even news?

We've been through this, Ryanair is not an airline for top class customer service or one to transport sick children on holiday.

They're a low cost airline, for people who just want to go somewhere without paying an arm and a leg. But this is business, NOT effin magic! Cheap tickets mean strict rules and if you're not prepared to accept them, they're not the airline for you. Simple

Why they were given Ryanair tickets rather than Aer Lingus or CityJet in the first place is beyond me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Surely Ryanair should be commended for not discriminating?

All too often businesses discriminate against the old, the infirm, the sick or those less able than the rest of us. Here is a business which gives them the same treatment as the rest of us, yet somehow, they're the bad guys?

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »
    Surely Ryanair should be commended for not discriminating?

All too often businesses discriminate against the old, the infirm, the sick or those less able than the rest of us. Here is a business which gives them the same treatment as the rest of us, yet somehow, they're the bad guys?

I also have softdrinks and peanuts!,that's popcorn soft drinks and peanuts for sale! get your popcorn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Does RTE have something against Ryanair?

Bingo

Government backed cartel favouring government backed cartels - don't see many exposÉs on Aer Lingus in the Irish Media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think the Share-A-Dream foundation need to take some of the criticism here. Whilst cost is as always an important factor for parents holidaying with seriously ill children, the hassle of travelling is arguably a greater one. The charity should have been more pro-active in the planning of the trip.

Simply paying the cost of flights, accom etc isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I hate flying with Ryanair. The solution: I don't fly with them. Haven't done so in about 5 years and never will again.

Can't understand why people continue to fly with them if they really hate them so much. Aer Lingus are not much more expensive and it's money well spent in my opinion.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Bingo

Government backed cartel favouring government backed cartels - don't see many exposÉs on Aer Lingus in the Irish Media.
    I don't see how, every time the media make a big issue out of Ryanair procedures they're doing nothing but helping Ryanair get free publicity. Ryanair spend feck all on advertising, most their ads are basic with the media doing the majority of their publicising. If RTE wanted to hurt Ryanair they wouldn't talk about them at all.

I'll fly aer lingus if the price difference is smallish, but I'm flying ryanair soon as the AL cost of that flight would have been double or more. I don't like them but I can manage for 2 hours and usually travel light anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Ryanair are a scummy airline. Their rules are designed to catch people and take advantage of them when they have no other choice. They actively try to rip you off to make money. 90% of Ryanair employees I have encountered have been miserable people with a bad attitude.. who can blame them though when they work for such a **** company. The make the whole experience of travelling anywhere a right pain in the arse and one that is not looked forward to. I avoid them whenever I can and happily pay the extra money to fly with a proper airline but as they are so prevalent in Ireland sometimes they are unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

well done,must be very proud;a lovely show of bias and accute generalization there *slow clap*.
    since when does the voices and actions of a kids wish organisation that is operated by non disabled people equate to being disabled people?

the majority of non disabled people will never understand the extra involuntary high costs of living that comes with being disabled,especialy when concerning complex needs,high support needs and nursing needs.
    the extra space took up in their suitcases wont be because they needed to fit in their hair straightners,different shoes for each day,computer games or any other un needed crap; it will be stuff that is necesary for them to be able to go there without having serious complications or issues.

this organisation shoud have used another airline regardless,users are saying they have never had problems with ryanair before but try it as a disabled person and will probably see a difference,they are notoriously bad for disabled people of all forms- some even more so disgusting and discriminative in their treatment than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I have a disability and require wheelchair assistance each time I fly. I've never had any issue with Ryanair, AL have been a bit lax once or twice.

I understand the rules and abide by them.

Sweeping generalised statements like your is one of the few things that I get annoyed over. Be careful what you wish for because someday, you may have a disability and you can redress the balance from us ungrateful arrogant bastards.

Chinasea wrote: »

Bingo

Oh really? I've seen the media flooding with stories about AL everytime there's an internal struggle.

And as far as I know Ryanair themselves owns more of Aer Lingus than the Irish government. Something like 29% owned by Ryanair and 25% by the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Oh really? I've seen the media flooding with

Emm I don't think so, and it is only of late that the people seemed to be coping on that the Ryanair business model ain't such a bad thing - and just as well too, cause without them we'd be back to the grim auld 1970's, when none of us were able to get off this godforsaken island unless it was on a puke filled rattle and humming boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

What will we do a story about today Pat?

I don't know The economy? Syria? trouble in the north Ryan?

No no that stuff is important Pat and boring lets do a story about a group who didn't abide by the terms and conditions of their booking. Then lets kill some kittens and give ourselves a pay rise so we can buy a nice pint of heino.

:rolleyes: A day in the life of RTE :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How dare Ryanair treat them like normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ryanair are awful cunts - but not cutting the families of terminally ill children some slack is low, even by their shitty standards.

What was the big deal about making them redistribute stuff across all the bags? What terrible fate was going to befall their flying peasant wagon if they didn't?
    I mean the weight they'll be carrying will be the exact same either way.

Nothing would happen to the plane, but the baggage handlers have to be thought about. The 23 kg limit on checked luggage is for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Playboy wrote: »
    Ryanair are a scummy airline. Their rules are designed to catch people and take advantage of them when they have no other choice. They actively try to rip you off to make money. 90% of Ryanair employees I have encountered have been miserable people with a bad attitude.. who can blame them though when they work for such a **** company. The make the whole experience of travelling anywhere a right pain in the arse and one that is not looked forward to. I avoid them whenever I can and happily pay the extra money to fly with a proper airline but as they are so prevalent in Ireland sometimes they are unavoidable.
    The 80,000,000 passenger who fly with them would beg to disagree.
    What this country needs are Michael O'Leary's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I doubt if RTE would have made a story out of it if some of the kids had bottles of water taken off them prior to going through security.

Can't wait to see if the Daily Mail cover it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've seen Ryanair staff allow people to do this whenever they're luggage was over. There's even videos on youtube of people doing this.
    They've done it for me in the past too. I was very grateful

The 80,000,000 passenger who fly with them would beg to disagree.
    What this country needs are Michael O'Leary's!

Dont think so... the majority of people who fly with them do so because of price... I would wager most of them think they are **** scummy airline and would fly with someone else if they could afford it. The only reason anyone flies with Ryanair is because of cost or because they are forced to to fly a particular route.

Dont think so... the majority of people who fly with them do so because of price... I would wager most of them think they are **** scummy airline and would fly with someone else if they could afford it. The only reason anyone flies with Ryanair is because of cost or because they are forced to to fly a particular route.

exactly,they are offering you a cheap service as per their T&C's,if you don't like it fly with somebody else,they're aren't forcing you to use their service.

• Advertisement

They've done it for me in the past too. I was very grateful

Jesus you must have a hard life if you are grateful for that. Can they even stop you if they wanted to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

This is the usual Irish "Tall Poppy Syndrome", when someone or a company is successfull, the begrudgers and all those who glory in being "victimised" all rush to cut the person/company down to size. When will people realize that rules made by an airline apply to everyone? And if the airline enforces the rule, they are portrayed as monsters? I flew from Auckland to singapore, enroute to london in 2001, and the New Zealand Air staff told me my baggage was 20 kilos overweight. (all the wine) I had a choice, lose weight or pay 450 NZ dollers penalty. I ditched most of the clothes in the airport, bought a new bag and divided up the remainder. Should I have contacted the Radio, newspapers and the TV stations, and had a good moan? The response in New Zealand would have been, "piss off home, you whinging paddy" Of course the media here in Ireland pander to this sickening element of the population by running these "non stories" as if they were news. Mack in Cavan

pmcmahon wrote: »
    exactly,they are offering you a cheap service as per their T&C's,if you don't like it fly with somebody else,they're aren't forcing you to use their service.

I dont fly with them... I still hate them though. I hate companies like wonga too even though I dont use them. Any company who tries to profit from other peoples misfortune should be despised. Yes you can avoid massive interest with wonga or paying extra fees with Ryanair but that doesnt make their business model or the people who run and own the company any less of a ****

I dont fly with them... I still hate them though. I hate companies like wonga too even though I dont use them. Any company who tries to profit from other peoples misfortune should be despised. Yes you can avoid massive interest with wonga or paying extra fees with Ryanair but that doesnt make their business model or the people who run and own the company any less of a ****

I know nothing about wonga.All i know is i hope the stupid people like this keep coming so they keep my fare price down.

I think their business model is fine,look at their profits and their traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This is the usual Irish "Tall Poppy Syndrome", when someone or a company is successfull, the begrudgers and all those who glory in being "victimised" all rush to cut the person/company down to size. When will people realize that rules made by an airline apply to everyone? And if the airline enforces the rule, they are portrayed as monsters? I flew from Auckland to singapore, enroute to london in 2001, and the New Zealand Air staff told me my baggage was 20 kilos overweight. (all the wine) I had a choice, lose weight or pay 450 NZ dollers penalty. I ditched most of the clothes in the airport, bought a new bag and divided up the remainder. Should I have contacted the Radio, newspapers and the TV stations, and had a good moan? The response in New Zealand would have been, "piss off home, you whinging paddy" Of course the media here in Ireland pander to this sickening element of the population by running these "non stories" as if they were news. Mack in Cavan

No it's not, it's about expecting that somebody on the ground would show a little discretion and cop-on in special circumstances, but that's obviously something that the Celtic Tiger killed off entirely. It all reminds me of a scene from "Zulu Dawn" where the quartermaster handing out the ammo does everything by the book and insists on carefully unscrewing the lids of the ammo boxes despite the camp being overwhelmed by Zulus.

Profit from other's misfortune? Care to explain?

You seem to have a limited definition of the word "airline", where it must include being bathed in perfume and served the finest meat from one of the legs of the Lamb of God.

They give people cheap prices and the people obey their T&Cs, everyone is happy. But if they don't want to do that, by all means fly with someone else and don't complain. They offer a cheap flight from A to B for people who just want to get from A to B and can print their own boarding pass, carry the right size bag etc. rather than having everything done for you. I've done this in the past and found no problem with Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I never really had problems with Ryanair, apart from being caught with overweight baggage when moving to Scotland in 2006, my own fault. Since then I observe the rule and have had no problems. One thing does bug me though, why do I have to switch off my ipod preflight and landing, how does that affect the pilots equipment, its just an electronic device with headphones, its not like a phone that can disturb the equipment and aircraft computers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I never really had problems with Ryanair, apart from being caught with overweight baggage when moving to Scotland in 2006, my own fault. Since then I observe the rule and have had no problems. One thing does bug me though, why do I have to switch off my ipod preflight and landing, how does that affect the pilots equipment, its just an electronic device with headphones, its not like a phone that can disturb the equipment and aircraft computers.
    I think they do so because it is the most dangerous part of the flight,that way in case of an emergency you'll react straight away rather than being distracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Judgement Day wrote
    "No it's not, it's about expecting that somebody on the ground would show a little discretion and cop-on in special circumstances, but that's obviously something that the Celtic Tiger killed off entirely. It all reminds me of a scene from "Zulu Dawn" where the quartermaster handing out the ammo does everything by the book and insists on carefully unscrewing the lids of the ammo boxes despite the camp being overwhelmed by Zulus"

The problem is that then everyone wants a little discretion applied to their own special case or circumstances, be it "my granny died, and I forgot my passport" or "I need all this stuff for my holidays, but don't see why I should pay extra for all the weight, cause lots of other people are carrying well below the allowed weight", or "I've been drinking for 4 hours, but, sure, what harm"
    After the battle of rourkes drift, the British army switched to using clasps on ammo boxes, which could be knocked open with a rifle butt, therefore learning by their earlier mistakes. How many years have we been listening to people complaining because they packed too much? can we not learn from earlier mistakes as well? Mack in cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

You pay for what you get. You have to understand that Ryanair will get you from A to B. But you better make sure you understand EVERY little condition because they will get you. That is how they make your money. Other airlines are more flexible but you will pay for the better service. Personally I've flown with them only once and never again after the experience I had when they skrewed me over. Thankfully I am at a point in my life where I pay the extra not to put up with their shyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have learned a valuable lesson. Fly some other airline if you don't want to obey the rules or you are too stupid to read the rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement