Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blatter wrote: »
    Obviously Fergie doesn't go that far, but he does pretty much everything he can to ensure his side wins. His manipulation of the media is one of the biggest things that gets overlooked, but you won't hear me complaining about it:D

IMO Mourinho is the man to take over at OT whenever SAF decides to call it a day.

His manipulation of the media is top class, Jose's playing with media is also awesome. I'm really on fence about Jose. I prefer Half Jose and Half Pep :D

For me Jurgen Klopp would have been in contention but his lack of experience in Europe would be against him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    His manipulation of the media is top class, Jose's playing with media is also awesome. I'm really on fence about Jose. I prefer Half Jose and Half Pep :D

Jose Guardiola has a nice ring to it.

Was in a panic when I saw the lineup today,look what happened the last time.

I do hope Fergie doesn't use today's result as an excuse not to buy during January,we seriously need quality backup.Thank god Wigan were so poor today even though they had some chances that a top side wouldn't have missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Michael Carrick (defensive mid) has more goals/assists in 733 mins than Stewart Downing (winger) & Andy Carroll (striker) combined in 2,247.

Stats can be hilarious sometimes:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I would wonder how David Moyes would get on at a big club. It would be a massive gamble but I would just wonder how he would get on at a big club

My best friend is a Everton fan and he always says that he'll end up at United. Hate the thought of it. Brilliant manager for a club like Everton. Reckon he'd be a disaster at a top club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I never like his style of football at Chelsea. Very defensive minded I thought. While at Man United the philosophy is completely different. Counter attacking rip your team apart football. This was even the style under Matt Busby and less successfully with Docherty, Sexton and Atkinson

zerks wrote: »
    Jose Guardiola has a nice ring to it.

Was in a panic when I saw the lineup today,look what happened the last time.

I do hope Fergie doesn't use today's result as an excuse not to buy during January,we seriously need quality backup.Thank god Wigan were so poor today even though they had some chances that a top side wouldn't have missed.

If anything it was very good display from our back ups. We have very good back ups, we need one proper CM who can take us to next level.

Lindegaard - back up
    Valencia - back up as RB
    Carrick - back up as CB
    Evans - 3rd or 4th choice
    Evra - 1st choice

Nani - 1st choice
    Gibson - Nth choice
    Giggs- I would say Back up as Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Cleverley should be ahead in the pecking order
    Park - back up

Berba - 4th choice maybe?
    Hernandez - 1st choice or 3rd choice. Varies.

I would say we have excellent back ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I never like his style of football at Chelsea. Very defensive minded I thought. While at Man United the philosophy is completely different. Counter attacking rip your team apart football. This was even the style under Matt Busby and less successfully with Docherty, Sexton and Atkinson

His current Real Madrid team are one of the better counter attacking teams. I love watching them play!

For me Jurgen Klopp would have been in contention but his lack of experience in Europe would be against him IMO.

My missus is German so take it from me. Germans hate leaving Germany. He is a future Munich manager

• Advertisement

Tbh his team played attacking football last season and this season. Yeah they are miles ahead of other teams in La Liga bar Barca but they have done the same in Champions league too. I'm sure he will play attacking football if he comes here.

I'm not defending him as I have no clue on who I want. As I said I'm on fence and I dont want to think about Post SAF :(

You should watch how Real Madrid are playing football this season. Counter attacking football you say? They're a sensational counter attacking outfit.

I also though he had Chelsea playing decent stuff when he was playing the 4-3-3 with Duff and Robben on the wings.

The style became more boring when he was lumbered with Ballack and Shevchenko and was forced to change the system to include them in the team.

My missus is German so take it from me. Germans hate leaving Germany. He is a future Munich manager

Just a wishlist. He was never a realistic target, just that I like him a lot. :)

If anything it was very good display from our back ups. We have very good back ups, we need one proper CM who can take us to next level.

Lindegaard - back up
    Valencia - back up as RB
    Carrick - back up as CB
    Evans - 3rd or 4th choice
    Evra - 1st choice

Nani - 1st choice
    Gibson - Nth choice
    Giggs- I would say Back up as Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Cleverley should be ahead in the pecking order
    Park - back up

Berba - 4th choice maybe?
    Hernandez - 1st choice or 3rd choice. Varies.

I would say we have excellent back ups.

We got stung badly playing similar lineups before,Evans is injured now but hopefully Smalling & Jones will be back.Any more injuries and we're down to the kids to fill spaces in some positions.
    Wouldn't like to face Spurs or City with that team.

Beating a team that could barely defend today doesn't mean we have a top class squad,very near it but still short.
    Carrick is playing well but one bad game and his confidence goes and we are back to square one with him again.Park is a workhorse who has balance problems.Gibson not good enough.Giggs hasn't the legs to play week in week out.
    Lets build on these results,maybe Fergie has someone "world class" lined up already,he's surprised us all enough times anyway.

Tbh his team played attacking football last season and this season. Yeah they are miles ahead of other teams in La Liga bar Barca but they have done the same in Champions league too. I'm sure he will play attacking football if he comes here.

I'm not defending him as I have no clue on who I want. As I said I'm on fence and I dont want to think about Post SAF :(

Your probably right and when it comes down to it I'm blinkered a little bit. I don't like him. I do think he is a winner though. I've been looking at the list of United managers and in general they have had a spell of average of more than 5 years

1878–1892 Unknown
    1892–1900 A. H. Albut
    1900–1903 James West
    1903–1912 Ernest Mangnall
    1912–1914 John Bentley
    1914–1922 Jack Robson
    1922–1926 John Chapman First manager from outside England
    1926–1927 Lal Hilditch
    1927–1931 Herbert Bamlett
    1931–1932 Walter Crickmer
    1932–1937 Scott Duncan
    1937–1945 Walter Crickmer
    1945–1969 Matt Busby
    1969–1970 Wilf McGuinness
    1970–1971 Matt Busby
    1971–1972 Frank O'Farrell First manager from outside the UK
    1972–1977 Tommy Docherty
    1977–1981 Dave Sexton
    1981–1986 Ron Atkinson
    1986–present Alex Ferguson

My missus is German so take it from me. Germans hate leaving Germany.

You must be some man then to get her to come to this place:)

• Advertisement

What I loved today was. Rooney could have easily taken the peno. He let Berb take it and get his hat trick. I think we have got some good team spirit at the minute which will help us over the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There is no chance anybody but Berbatov was taking that penalty...that's not exactly team spirit...it's the way it should be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Following on from that Berba/Suarez stat earlier, here's another one I saw on Twitter:
    Michael Carrick (defensive mid) has more goals/assists in 733 mins than Stewart Downing (winger) & Andy Carroll (striker) combined in 2,247.

Carrick has 1 goal and 2 assists and the others have a combined 2 goals. Some crack altogether :pac:

OG is also level with Carroll on goals this season for Liverpool 3 each:pac:

Following on from that Berba/Suarez stat earlier, here's another one I saw on Twitter:

Carrick has 1 goal and 2 assists and the others have a combined 2 goals. Some crack altogether :pac:

Stewart Downing, 20 million pounds, 20 app, 0 goals, 0 assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Blatter posted that on the last page...crazy enough though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kmart6 wrote: »
    Blatter posted that on the last page...crazy enough though!

Can't believe I missed that post. Ah well there goes my chances of getting a few thanks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Today's results and gap closing is bittersweet for me. I want the club to stop the charge of Man City but on the other hand, a part of me would prefer to not win the title this season. Just like last season, winning the title could give Fergie the impression that the squad doesn't need strengthening when clearly the first 11 does. You could argue that Fergie will realise this regardless of success but I don't think so.

It seems there is little money to spend. From listening to Fergie this season, it seems he has his eyes on a few 'hidden gems' across the world, ala Hernadez, and is waiting for those to become available. Hope they're brought in to improve the first team, not to further bloat the squad with 'decent' players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Today's results and gap closing is bittersweet for me. I want the club to stop the charge of Man City but on the other hand, a part of me would prefer to not win the title this season. Just like last season, winning the title could give Fergie the impression that the squad doesn't need strengthening when clearly the first 11 does. You could argue that Fergie will realise this regardless of success but I don't think so.

It seems there is little money to spend. From listening to Fergie this season, it seems he has his eyes on a few 'hidden gems' across the world, ala Hernadez, and is waiting for those to become available. Hope they're brought in to improve the first team, not to further bloat the squad with 'decent' players.

I really don't get this attitude.
    Winning the league = more money + bigger attraction for better players.

Fergie will do what he wants to do regardless. Even if we didn't win the league last season, I don't think he would have bought anyone.

If we keep winning the league and "papering over the cracks" then I'll begin to wonder if there even is any cracks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Its actually a myth that chelsea played boring football under chelsea, they were defensively very sound for sure but when they had robben and duff rampaging down the wings they were very exciting, they have the highest points total of 95 of any league winner, you dont do that if you are a boring team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Getting knocked out of the champions league was a big disapointment for everyone but it was blip nothing more, i admit the central midfield needs strengthening if we are to compete for the champions league again but we are still a better team with our current squad then both benfica and basel,our weak midfield by top european teams standards has nothing to do with us getting knocked out , it just coincided with us being way off form

Just remembered that when we played Blackburn at OT last season Berbatov and Park scored.Berba got 5:)

Both scored today so hope we get similar at the weekend.

Can anyone tell me how many assists Valencia has got this season and in particular the last 5 games?

Thanks

6 assists,all in the last 4 games.He got 3 against Wolves.1 today,1 against Fulham & 1 against QPR.

Thanks to Fantasy Premier League;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great day of results, things look a lot better today than 3 weeks ago though along way to go yet. we have 11 senior players class as injured this evening and add in PIG, pogba and Morisson and thats 14 who are to come back sooner or later.
    Great performance and great result. I hope the current league table is closely studied by the doom mongering "City are an unstoppable machine" merchants from a few weeks ago.

hang on, hang on, lets not get carried away just yet. city are still the favourites. yes results have been good since basle, BUT we need perspective. all of the "doom" was spot on, we were playing s*it and scraping results. we had our worst period of scoring goals in years from november to mid december. we are still no longer in the CL, that wasnt down to fluke or luck, that was cos we were not playing well enough. a 5-0 win v fulham and wigan does not change that. city were flying and lets not forget, they beat arsenal last week.

their fixtures are easier on the basis that we still have to go to spurs, chelsea, arsenal and them. going out of the CL at this stage has happened us 2 times in 16 years, that is nothing but a disaster and a low low point for the club. thankfully they have started playing better, which is all people asked for. carrick coming back to form has been huge as has the emergence of jones in CM.

the exciting thing is that we have played s*it but still are in there and now look to be returning to form, BUT that can change quickly. our injuries are huge at this point in time.
    I remember being laughed at when I suggested this league was not over before City played Liverpool weeks back.

Where are ye;););)

Good day all around really.

i doubt very many said the league was over. as i said the analysis back 3 weeks ago, was spot on.

we need to not get carried away, there is nothing won yet. relax a little ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Its a good day. Eating turkey sandwiches and Citys goal difference being gobbled up too. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MOTD on in a couple of mins, it'll be the first time I've watched it this season I think. :)

MOTD on in a couple of mins, it'll be the first time I've watched it this season I think. :)

ya, i normally dont watch it either, but am sitting back watching it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Berbas second goal was a thing of beauty. It's great to see us level on points at the top despite at least a couple of months of indifferent football. Also great to see the goals flying in again.

It's going to be tight for sure this season but our experience and ruthlessness with dispatching the weaker teams could see us nick it.

Have been going back and forward to the folks house over Christmas as the whole family are home. Delighted I brought my Apple TV over with me today. Hooked it up to their LCD, got the stream off liveonlinefooty, and we all sat together and cheered as the goals went in. Great stuff.

the chances of united getting the player of the month for december is very high, though does anybody stand out? maybe rooney, but for sure jones would have been up there, had he not missed today.

still has a chance of course with a big game on sat if he plays, but he mas pretty much missed the last 2 games and that may not be enough, would be great for him if he was to get it.

assume fergie will get the Manager award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

the chances of united getting the player of the month for december is very high, though does anybody stand out? maybe rooney, but for sure jones would have been up there, had he not missed today.

still has a chance of course with a big game on sat if he plays, but he mas pretty much missed the last 2 games and that may not be enough, would be great for him if he was to get it.

I'd give player to Demba Ba tbh...

I would give it to Carrick if it were to be a United player but I can't see that happening.

adox wrote: »
    I would give it to Carrick if it were to be a United player but I can't see that happening.

he has a chance alright i suppose, though Ba is a good shout. thing about BA, the player that gets it, normally comes from a team who has had a decent month and newcastle have not had that.

Van Persie has to be up there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Lol at Carrick on the sending off; ''He's been a bit unlucky there''

Well perhaps he wouldn't have been so unlucky if you hadn't held your head as if you'd just been elbowed in the face there Michael. It was the Skrtel-esq reaction that got him sent off

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

tommyhaas wrote: »

Well perhaps he wouldn't have been so unlucky if you hadn't held your head as if you'd just been elbowed in the face there Michael. It was the Skrtel-esq reaction that got him sent off
    No, it was the ref who got him sent off.

I didn't think he over reacted. He got a hand in the face and walked away holding it. It's not as if he fell to the ground or anything. Doesn't take away from the fact it was a disgraceful decision but I disagree on Carricks culpability.

I'd need to see it again. If Sammon only barely flicked him on the face, then Carrick shouldn't have covered his face with his hand.

If he made decent contact with his face that stung or flicked his eye, then the reaction was natural.

I would wonder how David Moyes would get on at a big club. It would be a massive gamble but I would just wonder how he would get on at a big club

Utd have spent very little relative to their rivals over the last few years, and have maintained the same level of success. If this is the way the owners want to continue, I think David Moyes would be an excellent appointment, as esentially this is what he has done with Everton. If however they're prepared to invest heavily, I don't think Moyes would be the man

No, it was the ref who got him sent off.
    adox wrote: »
    I didn't think he over reacted. He got a hand in the face and walked away holding it. It's not as if he fell to the ground or anything. Doesn't take away from the fact it was a disgraceful decision but I disagree on Carricks culpability.
    Blatter wrote: »
    I'd need to see it again. If Sammon only barely flicked him on the face, then Carrick shouldn't have covered his face with his hand.

If he made decent contact with his face that stung or flicked his eye, then the reaction was natural.

He pushed Carrick in the face with his hand. He didn't even hit him. There was no reason, other then looking for the ref to send him off, why Carrick would have held his face afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In fairness to Carrick he didn't go looking for Sammon to be sent off at all. In fact, numerous people in the game and pundits alike have said fair play to Carrick for not making a meal of it, which he could easily have done.

Shocking decision mind, but that has more to do with Dowd's incompetence and inability to keep up with a game due to his mountain sized belly than a Carrick ''overreaction''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

He pushed Carrick in the face with his hand. He didn't even hit him. There was no reason, other then looking for the ref to send him off, why Carrick would have held his face afterwards

To get Sammon a yellow card?

Would he not have fallen like a sack of squds ala Busquets if he was trying to get him sent off??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So if a 6 foot, 13 stone professional athlete pushed you in the face with his hand whilst you were both going full steam battling for position, you wouldn't hold your face?

It obviously would have hurt a bit. Carrick held his face for a second or two which is a normal reaction and then got on with things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There was no reason, other then looking for the ref to send him off, why Carrick would have held his face afterwards
    Just looked like a lad looking for a free kick to me.

Paully D wrote: »
    In fairness to Carrick he didn't go looking for Sammon to be sent off at all. In fact, numerous people in the game and pundits alike have said fair play to Carrick for not making a meal of it, which he could easily have done.
    TheTownie wrote: »
    To get Sammon a yellow card?

Would he not have fallen like a sack of squds ala Busquets if he was trying to get him sent off??
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Just looked like a lad looking for a free kick to me.
    Paully D wrote: »
    So if a 6 foot, 13 stone professional athlete pushed you in the face with his hand whilst you were both going full steam battling for position, you wouldn't hold your face?

It obviously would have hurt a bit. Carrick held his face for a second or two which is a normal reaction and then got on with things.

No of course not, because it wouldn't have hurt. Being pushed in the face doesn't hurt unless there is exceptional force. There wasn't, and it wouldn't have hurt

Carrick over reacted, and he may have done so to win a free, or to get the ref to card him, but either way he still grossly exaggerated the impact with the result being Wigan were unjustly reduced to 10 men. There was no need for him to hold his face like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I agree he exaggerated it but to me he was looking a free out,if he was looking for a red to be shown he would more than likely have hit the deck.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement