Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Faction: Armageddon

Options
  • 09-05-2011 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Half a century after the Red Faction resistance freed Mars, the red planet again becomes a battleground. Colonists struggle for survival in the underground mines after the surface is rendered uninhabitable. When Darius Mason, grandson of revolution heroes Alec Mason and Samanya, unknowingly releases a long-dormant evil, Armageddon is unleashed on Mars. As settlements are torn asunder, only Darius and the Red Faction can save mankind. The battle will take them to the core of the storm-blasted planet through ice caves and lava flows until they are face to face against the unspeakable threat.

Release Date: June 7, 2011
    A playable demo for the game was announced in April, and was released on May 3rd, 2011 for the Xbox 360. The PS3 is still awaiting release due to the PSN being down

Just played there and really enjoyed it.Wasnt a huge fan of the last one (Despite the fun destructible environment),much of the same here but have a feeling there is a bit more potential here.Cool added feature this time around is ya can easily repair anything as easily and you can destroy it.
    Might wait and see what the multi-player side of it is like which may tilt me more towards a buy than a weeks rent (or download :P ).
    Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

31% into the story mode at the moment. It's good, but I do miss the open world of the first one, and I'm not a big fan of the 'underground-hidden-monsters' motif. But it's good. More emphasis on destroying, then fixing though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what do you mean when you say "the first one" ?

what do you mean when you say "the first one" ?

I mean the first current gen one, not the PS2 original from years ago. I think it was Red Faction: Guerilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Demo was 'meh'. Nice, Turok style over the top weapons though. I can't understand why they'd move it away from the brilliant last one though.

That was fun. I would recommend playing it on Insane. It's not that difficult but bar one or two tricky parts, it was fairly breezy. Replayed a few levels on normal to fully upgrade and it's way too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Surprised no one is talking about this considering its out today.

I need to finish my download from steam. I also got a nice Axe for my pyro in TF2 for pre-ordering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just don't understand why they went away from the free roaming destruction of the last one. It just seems like a massive step back and now the game feels like a dozen other generic shooters.

Surprised no one is talking about this considering its out today.

I need to finish my download from steam. I also got a nice Axe for my pyro in TF2 for pre-ordering :D

There's a lot out today! Infamous 2, Duke Nukem to name but two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Rented this the other night, and nI have to say after early misgivings it's actually ok , campaign is actually a hell of a lot longer than I was expecting.

Ok so they got rid of the free roam stuff but the combat and weapons are pretty satisfying. Mr. Toots is the single best "gun" I can remember seeing in a game. :D

The multiplayer is poo though , it's your standard 4 play horde mode and that's it. It's fun for a while and challenging on higher settings but gets old fast.

6/10 for the main game over all, not worth buying but would keep you entertained as a rental.

Mr. Toots

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just don't understand why they went away from the free roaming destruction of the last one. It just seems like a massive step back and now the game feels like a dozen other generic shooters.
    most of my time in that stupid game was spent running back to where i was because i had to respawn 2 miles away in some rebel "safehouse" I put the game away after about 8 hours of play.

the free roaming was frankly just a gimmicky attempt to cash in on the sandbox craze. Yahtzee scored it well, look at 2:30 - 3:30

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/834-Red-Faction-Guerrilla

• Advertisement
Advertisement