Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Keyboard For Gaming

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

So I killed my 'ol Logitech G15 last night with a mug of hot tea. I've had it for donkies though so I don't mind. Much. (I'm crying right now)

In short, I need a new decent keyboard and thought I'd ask the hivemind their opinion.

I need it to be backlit and preferably with macro buttons, since I plan on getting (back) into WoW or EVE sometime soon. The LCD on the G15 was handy, but not essential.

Budget is... flexible. The baseline is probably the new iteration of my old keyboard, which looks to be about €100 or so online. Something cheaper will mean money going into my NewPCFund but if there's something particularly orgasmic for more than that, do provide linkage cause it's Thursday tomorrow and the old folks will be going to collect their pensioners tomorrow, so I can make up any shortage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Argos has the G110 for €85 while Peats on Parnell have it for €80, basically the same as the G15 but no LCD...and you can change the colour of individual keys so certain keys stand out.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9290330/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|14419738/c_2/3|cat_19780877|PC+games|14419767.htm

thats just if you want soemthing similar to your recently departed keyboard. Could also look up Razers range of stuff, heard some are meant to be quite solid....and cheap too by the looks of things on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_37?rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A!340832031%2Cn%3A429885031%2Cn%3A430565031%2Cp_4%3ARazer&bbn=430565031&ie=UTF8&qid=1296689591&rnid=419150031

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Don't buy Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard.

Keys randomly stop working, forcing you to plug and unplug it. I had to send mine back to Amazon. I recommend Roccat products. I use the Roccat Arvo compact keyboard to save desktop space.

Roccat-Arvo-08_090804225333.JPG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've never really understood the need for a fancy keyboard. I can understand a mouse, but it's not like you need more keys on a keyboard. I use a bog standard Dell one, and it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Kiith wrote: »
    I've never really understood the need for a fancy keyboard. I can understand a mouse, but it's not like you need more keys on a keyboard. I use a bog standard Dell one, and it's perfect.
    I play mmos and muds so the easily macroable keys are, if not essential, then of extreme utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i've just bought the G110 and it is nice but i have a few niggles with it
    the legs on the back doesn't raise it very much and i like a keyboard to have a good slant on it
    to make it fit all the keys on it and keep it relatively compact they have squashed the main keys together a bit so when i am typing on it i keep hitting the key to the left of the one i want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't understand the need for expensive keyboards.

They all use similar technology underneath, after all.

I'd only ever pay extra for a microswitched keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Im rather fond of my sidewinder X6 keyboard plenty of macro options
    microsoft-sidewinder-keyboard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have one of the Steelseries Merc that I used for Warhammer online and it was grand. Programmable, backlit, pretty sturdy, only downside is the size and the position of the output wire. Also has jacks for USB (2) and goldplated microphone/earphone jacks.

SS%20Merc%20Stealth.jpg

Price is pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As much as I hate to say it, any keyboard where the button press feels decent is fine.

My G15...is about as good as any keyboard I've had previously, Windows Media, Standard Dell etc etc

I've never once used the Macro (G) buttons or its LCD display.

The backlight feature is its only redeeming quality :( ....i hate being a logitech fanboy

PCWorld at liffey valley have a load of new gear, including some Razer and Roccat stuff though if you're passing by

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I have one of the Steelseries Merc that I used for Warhammer online and it was grand. Programmable, backlit, pretty sturdy, only downside is the size and the position of the output wire. Also has jacks for USB (2) and goldplated microphone/earphone jacks.

SS%20Merc%20Stealth.jpg

Price is pretty decent too.

Ok, that i actually like. The arrow keys on the left are pretty cool, and there's plenty of buttons there. Maybe i'll treat myself at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry to bring this up but I thought starting a fresh thread would be pointless.

When you say size how do you mean, is it too big for a desk or are the keys slightly too small? It does look very comfortable.

Currently between this and the G15, anyone have any strong feelings either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

I didnt realise that steelseries bought out z-board. i had the old z-board usb, and while it was good for RPG's, some of the driver issues and built in software issues were frustrating. For example, certain special function keys [especially the 'f' key] just wouldnt work at all until the computer booted fully and the sofware was running, which was annoyng for usng bios or installing OS's. Just my experience from the old stuff, i'm sure steelseries have sorted it out.

Rockin the G15 myself, can still pick them up in pc world or peats on the cheap. the lcd looks cool but really is just useless. also found the function [media] buttons to be disappointing. you can program your own lcd display using some 3rd party stuff, but it breaks a lot. and if your as anal as i am about unnecessary background proccesses, then the lcd screen isnt for you.

also the merc is pretty big for a desk, you'd want a large office desk or corner desk.

tl;dr, g110 looks like a solid buy. lots of g-keys etc, backlit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Invest in a classic IBM Model M from the 80's. It'll last you forever.

They have proper bucking spring keys and you can pop the key caps off with your fingers to move them around if needs be.

Plus the thing sounds like a machine gun while you're typing. Own sound effects FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CramCycle wrote: »
    When you say size how do you mean, is it too big for a desk or are the keys slightly too small? It does look very comfortable.

No, the keys are fine, good response and feel. Just it's quite a large keyboard, the extra bit on the left does mean that if you don't have a medium to large desk it might be a bit cramped. But it is very comfortable, I have to agree that it's looks don't deceive there.

The cable at the back does come out at a bit of an awkward position for my setup, since I raise my monitor up on thick books. It'd dead centre, and quite rigid for the first inch or so (teehee), which means that unlike a keyboard with a cable towards one end, you can't get it snug in against the books/monitor stand. It's a very small gripe, and probably won't even affect most people - unless they have a similar setup to me with programming books stacked up underneath the monitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

o1s1n wrote: »
    Invest in a classic IBM Model M from the 80's. It'll last you forever.

They have proper bucking spring keys and you can pop the key caps off with your fingers to move them around if needs be.

Plus the thing sounds like a machine gun while you're typing. Own sound effects FTW! :D

oddly i have one of those too. missing a few caps though, and the sound really REALLY pisses people off at LANs. also handy as a backup weapon of another player is annoying you, they weigh a ton. but sure what from the 90's didnt?
    The cable at the back does come out at a bit of an awkward position for my setup, since I raise my monitor up on thick books. It'd dead centre, and quite rigid for the first inch or so (teehee), which means that unlike a keyboard with a cable towards one end, you can't get it snug in against the books/monitor stand. It's a very small gripe, and probably won't even affect most people - unless they have a similar setup to me with programming books stacked up underneath the monitor!

this caused the death of my old zboard, seems steelseries havent fixed it. i had my zboard wire running through one of the built in channels on the underside. but the wire had to bend back in on itself, and hence this caused the root to fray and lose connection. pity, its was agood board for just 50e.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kromdar wrote: »
    oddly i have one of those too. missing a few caps though, and the sound really REALLY pisses people off at LANs. also handy as a backup weapon of another player is annoying you, they weigh a ton. but sure what from the 90's didnt?

My own one is from 1983! It's a year older than me :eek:

That came out in a time when computers and perhiperals were proper expensive. None of this €20 cheap ass keyboard with dome top keys of today.

I'd imagine it would drive people insane at a LAN alright. Which is even more of a reason to own one! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I use a wired Saitek Cyborg keyboard, and I love it. Never have had any issues with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a grand DELL one that has served me well (picked it up free from work) but I just sprang for the Steelseries MERC sleath as the comfort thing for games would be the winner for me, glad I came on here to look around as I was going to get the G15 but this looks more comfortable, guess I'll find out next week. Thanks to everyone.

Advertisement