Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting 2 pcs together

• 31-08-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have thralled through endless youtube and websites on how to connect both my old XP Tower and New Vista together, using same monitor/keyboard/mouse. I have attached a diagram (rough mind you) so you can see. I do not have a switch box but i have a list of things I do.

1 x ZyTel wireless router with 4 ports
    2 x yellow cables to connect pc to router
    2 X KEYBOARDS/MOUSE
    2 x RJ45 Network connection cables
    1 X RJ45 Crossover adaptor (PC/PC)
    1 X Connector (Jack/Jack)
    1X USB Connector cable.

1. Can i use any of these to accomplise what i need to do without a switchbox?
    2. If not, How do I use both pc with monitors when they are connected with a crossover cable and then to router?
    Thank you so much

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

vipereire wrote: »
    I have thralled through endless youtube and websites on how to connect both my old XP Tower and New Vista together, using same monitor/keyboard/mouse. I have attached a diagram (rough mind you) so you can see. I do not have a switch box but i have a list of things I do.

1 x ZyTel wireless router with 4 ports
    2 x yellow cables to connect pc to router
    2 X KEYBOARDS/MOUSE
    2 x RJ45 Network connection cables
    1 X RJ45 Crossover adaptor (PC/PC)
    1 X Connector (Jack/Jack)
    1X USB Connector cable.

1. Can i use any of these to accomplise what i need to do without a switchbox?
    2. If not, How do I use both pc with monitors when they are connected with a crossover cable and then to router?
    Thank you so much

I'm not sure what you mean here by use them together. Do you need to control one remotely? RDP or VNC will do that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I have a set up like the one you want you need to get a kvm 2 port switch
    on my set-up there is only one pc on line at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vipereire

You have lost me on the RDP And VNC. What would you do in my situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you need a KVM switch. Its precisely what the Switch was designed to do.

Your other alternative is Remote Desktop Connection. Vista Home Prem has no problem logging into and controlling an XP Pro machine over network.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

vipereire wrote: »
    You have lost me on the RDP And VNC. What would you do in my situation?

You need to explain more about what you're trying to do. If you just want the one keyboard and mice for the two boxes, then get a KVM. If you just need an example of XP running, run it as a virtual image. If you want to control one from the other remotely use RDP or VNC apps.

• Advertisement

Ok, I have it now, I will have to buy a KVM switch because i want to use keyboard and mouse for both PC.
    The alternative was to have both computers running with own keyboards etc. Thanks for your help, nuch appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

vipereire, no harm in putting a wanted ad in http://www.adverts.ie/, a lot of members would have KVM's lying around, it's just one of those items.. You might get a freebie, you might not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I'm doing the same (XP to XP though), but don't use a KVM switch, just a network cable joining the 2 PCs, with one keyboard, mouse and monitor. Using Remote Desktop. Control of the second PC is just like using another application in the main PC. Second PC can use the internet just like the first as well, for updating antivirus or OS, or browsing.

It's fast enough to run any application, or even play video from the other PC. Not sure about games though.

Depending on the age of the network points in your PCs, you may need to use the crossover cable (if they're autosensing, a regular straight cable will work fine).

There is plenty of info available with a decent google. No harm in trying it with the applications you need to use with it, but if you find it restrictive or something doesn't work well over Remote Desktop, a KVM switch would probably work better.

EDIT: Just looked at your pic - you'd be able to ditch the "crappy Dell monster monitor" using Remote Desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

odd.

Microsofts site says you cant connect from a Vista machine to an XP machine but im sure ive done this in the past.

But yeah it wouldnt be good for games. Especially not wireless. The Host machine wouldnt do the Graphics Rendering I wouldnt think, but even still, there would be an awful lot of information that would need to be passed back and forth all the same. I think it would be slow and poor to respond.

This is brilliant info. I am currently looking for a KVM, I am looking on ebay and advertier etc. I think it is better i do this as I do not want the performance to slow down. And i will be delighted to rid myself of the crappy Dell lmao! Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Another option without spending money is synergy any open source application that passes the keyboard and mouse to the second PC once you move the mouse pointer over onto it. This means that PC1 will have to be running to be able to control PC2 but get's rid of second keyboard and mouse. P.S ( I have not tested this myself but look like it may be worth a try.) Some info on synergy http://dailycupoftech.com/multiple-computer-setup/5/

Advertisement