Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change groupset

• 28-05-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

hello all.
    a buddy of mine has a 9 speed ultegra groupset on his bike and is thinking of changing this to an 11 speed ultegra groupset, is this possible/advisable and what would the cost be ? thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

He'll need a new Right Shifter (or both if he wants matching shifters), a new 11 speed Cassette and 11 speed chain. He may also need a new 11 speed compatible rear freehub.

Cost? the real question is how much is he willing to spend? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

07Lapierre wrote: »
    He'll need a new Right Shifter (or both if he wants matching shifters), a new 11 speed Cassette and 11 speed chain. He may also need a new 11 speed compatible rear freehub.

He'd also need a new rear deraileur I think? Unless 9-speed is compatible with 11 (it might be?). Check wiggle/crc/etc for prices for each.

If he's going a full groupset route (shifters, brakes, chainset, cassette, deraileurs, chain, cables, bottom bracket) you'll get it for about €650 from merlincycles.co.uk. May be available cheaper elsewhere. He doesn't need an entire new groupset though.

He'll also have to strip the existing groupset and put the new one (or the individual pieces) on the bike himself or get someone to do it - I imagine a shop will charge €100+ for this.

And as 07Lapierre says his existing rear wheel (or rather the freehub which the cassette fits to) may not be compatible so could need a new one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

abc_xyz wrote: »
    He'd also need a new rear deraileur I think? Unless 9-speed is compatible with 11 (it might be?). Check wiggle/crc/etc for prices for each.

If he's going a full groupset route (shifters, brakes, chainset, cassette, deraileurs, chain, cables, bottom bracket) you'll get it for about €650 from merlincycles.co.uk. May be available cheaper elsewhere. He doesn't need an entire new groupset though.

He'll also have to strip the existing groupset and put the new one (or the individual pieces) on the bike himself or get someone to do it - I imagine a shop will charge €100+ for this.

And as 07Lapierre says his existing rear wheel (or rather the freehub which the cassette fits to) may not be compatible so could need a new one of those.

and if he just changed the minimum what parts would that entail and how much (money tight)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

He would be better off selling that bike and buying a new one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ciaeim wrote: »
    and if he just changed the minimum what parts would that entail and how much (money tight)?
    Minimum parts as per my first post..but If money's tight forget it! It's not economical...sell the bike as is and buy a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Needs a whole new groupset. 700 euro on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

no1murray wrote: »

Why does everyone go online before looking locally? Cyclesuperstore had 11-speed Ultegra grouppos for under €600 last time I looked. Much better to support local businesses, especially when they're as cheap or cheaper than what you can get online. I have no affiliation with CSS by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

cyclesuperstore is online too.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

spyderski wrote: »
    Why does everyone go online before looking locally? Cyclesuperstore had 11-speed Ultegra grouppos for under €600 last time I looked. Much better to support local businesses, especially when they're as cheap or cheaper than what you can get online. I have no affiliation with CSS by the way.

€686 for 6800, over €800 for 6700 on CSS

• Advertisement
Advertisement