Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Question

Options
  • 10-01-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Hi, I got paid for them, they were classed as bank hols on my wage slip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

A bank holiday is what is states a holiday for bank employees that may or may not fall on Statutory public holiday for which all employees in the state have a day off.

In practice most of the bank/holidays fall on the same day.

If brother normally works on Monday/Tuesday then he should be entitled to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crixus veritas

Obaraten wrote: »
    Hi,
    just a query my brother works for a certain company,he discovered that he didn't get his full pay last Friday(he gets paid every two weeks)
    when he queried this the company said he didn't get paid for Christmas day and st Stevens day as they are not bank holidays but public holidays :S?

Something definitely wrong there, if the company's normal policy is to give a paid day off for bank/public hol then his wages should have remained the same, if they were offering up 2 days off in lieu for those public hols then he may still get something for them. My instinct would be that the company is confused as to its responsibilities.

Would absolutely suggest he rings NERA tomo at 1890 80 80 90 and i would almost guarantee he will get those wages back or at least paid time off in lieu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Does this thread help at all OP?

Christmas Day and St. Stephens day in 2010 were public holidays. The following Monday and Tuesday (and probably the rest of that week) were bank holidays. The terms are used interchangeably, because they tend to coincide as amen says.

However, they're not strictly the same thing - bank holidays have no legal meaning, and there are more of them then there are public holidays (e.g. Good Friday).

Advertisement