Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Explanations for 'Paranormal' that crop up again and again

Options
  • 26-10-2014 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

What common explanations for alleged paranormal events come up again and again?

For me a recent example happened.

E.g. Yesterday in. Coffee shop the stainless steel tea pot moved across the table by itself!.... of course the table had glass cover and a fine layer of water was between the tea pot and the glass let the tea pot glide along! Try it your self... looks creepy though....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

always see that happening with glasses. heres one for ya: http://www.neatorama.com/2012/10/22/A-Real-Life-Ghost-Story/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

when people are listening back to audio recordings of an investigation, many times they mistake someone handling or moving the recorder for whispering, and then usually think its an evp.

another is fingers, thumbs or camera straps when taking photos. often mistaken for vortexes (whatever they are), ghosties etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Cheers, thanks for that! N2G
    always see that happening with glasses. heres one for ya: http://www.neatorama.com/2012/10/22/A-Real-Life-Ghost-Story/

Thanks Maccored, great tips, shows that simple, uncomplicated answers can explain away odd effects/noises...
    maccored wrote: »
    when people are listening back to audio recordings of an investigation, many times they mistake someone handling or moving the recorder for whispering, and then usually think its an evp.

another is fingers, thumbs or camera straps when taking photos. often mistaken for vortexes (whatever they are), ghosties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

sleep paralysis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

sleep paralysis

chinese sleep paralysis lanterns

people taking pictures of their own shadow and presenting it as a Shadow person.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was in a haunted building late at night. I was in the most haunted room in the house.

I entered the room and left the door slightly ajar. Soon after the door slowly creaked and opened fully. Was very interesting.

On further inspection, if you stepped on one particular floor board it caused the door frame to move. It was enough to make the door slowly swing open as it wasn't exactly square.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My grandfather always said that the electric light killed all the ghosts!
    One of his favourite stories was of coming home from cards in horses and traps past the local ruined abbey. They could see a white shape following along the abbey wall. One of the traps turned back, but my grandfather and a few friends kept going. On passing the abbey, they discovered that the ghostly monk was, in fact, a bullock scratching itself along the wall.

Last night my daughters came down from their room to say that there was something strange happening, floating hands pointing at them! Went up and noticed one of them was holding a box with a small mirror inside and sure enough when it caught the lights the reflection on the walls looked like flying hands pointing... ! They were surprisingly calm about it... or maybe they were putting me on... !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Static from synthetic fleeces that emits green light flashes when rubbed. I know this as I love to sleep in my fleece PJs, and often when I move, I see the green static flashes from it.

Ghostly steps on wooden stairs, being wood expanding and contracting due to central heating

Medication and/or certain medical conditions

TV's and other appliances turning on by themselves ….. because of power surges (assuming that the aplliance is 'plugged in '!!). This happened a good bit in college days down in Waterford flat and there was car tyre centre with heavy (electrical) car equipment/tools across the way probably on the same electrical supply route….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

People that have already made their minds up before going to a "haunted" location that they'll see a ghost or have an experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Anyone care to take a guess at this? This is a pic I took in an Italian church and no, it's nothing supernatural.

341583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

no, it's nothing supernatural.

If you're so sure of that, then why post it in this forum?

If you're so sure of that, then why post it in this forum?

I set the camera on a tripod and left the shutter open for about 10 secs. A woman walked into the picture, stopped briefly and walked on again. This is the result. It's one of my favourite pics I've ever taken, but it's nothing supernatural. :D
    Because the first thing you should know, is to always look for a rational explanation first. I am not an unbeliever, but I am a skeptic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i was going to guess double exposure - didnt think of a long exposure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

For the sake of my curiosity only (Hopefully some of the 'camera gurus' can correct me if I am wrong) but I would have expected some sort of a blur entering the frame and there appears to be no burring except in the centre of the picture. Did you enhance or modify the picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It depends on whether or not the woman stopped. If she would have kept moving it would be a blur. Because she stopped for a bit the area where she stopped is more pronounced.

I suppose when someone posts a picture with a similar artifact in it as paranormal they are aware that there was no one in the shot when the image was taken.

I took a picture years ago and got a very odd mist type of feature in it. People said that it was someone in the picture but when I took the picture there was no one there. People didnt believe me .. meh. My point is that just because my picture looked like an long exposure with movement didnt make it so. Others point of view was that because it couldnt possibly be anything else (in their opinion) it was certainly someone in the shot irregardless of me saying I was alone. Photos are a tricky one because there is always a "rational" explanation. I would never have classed the image above as "paranormal" unless the photographer had assured me that there was no one in the shot.

Thanks for the explanation Riamfada

For the sake of my curiosity only (Hopefully some of the 'camera gurus' can correct me if I am wrong) but I would have expected some sort of a blur entering the frame and there appears to be no burring except in the centre of the picture. Did you enhance or modify the picture?

No enhancements whatsoever. Straight scan from negative, no tinkering. It was a lot darker than that in the church, but looks lighter due to the long exposure. She moved in fairly swiftly, stopped and moved off again. I'm sure if I where to look closer at the original scan, I'd find some blur, but it would be fairly faint.
    Funny thing, at first I was pissed off she walked into my shot...

Cheers, thanks for that!

Advertisement