Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an old Eircom modem as wifi extender ?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All
    some input here would be great if you don't mind. i decided not to go the homeplug route to extend my Wifi so this is what i want to do but cant seem to get it working as keep getting a page DSL not connected ".but speedtest says i am connected ?
    This is setup
    Eircom f1000 modem as main one and from the first LAN port i have a Cat5 cable running the length of house to the first LAN port a Eircom d1000 modem. i change the DHCP to disabled ?.
    what i need help is have i done everything right for it to work the best it can or have i missed steps ?
    as i said its working apart from some times the " DSL line is not connected " pops up
    regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jOHNdOE71

i lovewine wrote: »
    Hi All
    some input here would be great if you don't mind. i decided not to go the homeplug route to extend my Wifi so this is what i want to do but cant seem to get it working as keep getting a page DSL not connected ".but speedtest says i am connected ?
    This is setup
    Eircom f1000 modem as main one and from the first LAN port i have a Cat5 cable running the length of house to the first LAN port a Eircom d1000 modem. i change the DHCP to disabled ?.
    what i need help is have i done everything right for it to work the best it can or have i missed steps ?
    as i said its working apart from some times the " DSL line is not connected " pops up
    regards

I've used this guide with success in the past (sry u may copy and paste address, as Boards won't allow my post links

labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

Thanks will try that and double check

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jOHNdOE71

One point worth noting is when you get to the stage of changing the 'IP address and Subnet Mask' on the old D1000 and you hit/click the 'Apply tab' to save changes, you will notice it seems to hang, but after leaving it for a few minutes and closing and reopening the browser, I was able to then enter the NEW IP address (not the old 192.168.1.254 because remember u've jused changed it) and password.

Also its a good idea to reset the D1000 back to factory defaults first.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

Cheers for that will do that as well

Advertisement