Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achilles Pain

• 27-05-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Looking for advice,

It's been a while since I've been on the bike (3 years), so lately I decided to jump back on and done 3/4 40km to ease myself back. Problem is I am getting achilles pain which has never happened before in all the years of cycling. Anybody any suggestions as to why this might be. Sounds like a newbie question I know but honestly it never has happened before,. I've tried stretching, rubbing/massaging it out, the next time out it starts to flare up. I seem to be pressing with the outside of my foot which I know i shouldn't be doing either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Get a professional bike fitting done..might be your bike setup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As per forum rules, first post that comes close to medical advice and this gets locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Get a professional bike fitting done..might be your bike setup.

Rest up, go to a good sports physio and pay for good advice.

You don't want to rupture your achillies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Go a bit easier, do shorter spins to ease yourself back into it, 40k is a lot if you have not cycled in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Google 'ankling' eg.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_an-z.html#ankling
    You need to watch your foot angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

I would head to the doctor. I have had two Achilles ruptures (completely snapped), one on each leg, the latest one was done in November.

Post surgery (a few months)the only thing I could do was cycle as there was minimal stress going through that section. I was taking it seriously handy though, no hills, out of the saddle or explosiveness. I would get it checked. My heal pain used to flare up if i was breaking in new shoes or rugby boots. Just look at any changes you have made.

You have my sympathies, don't ignore it or may end up ruining it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I think we are done, get a bike fit, or see a doctor or both (a good bike fitter will recommend it if the issue is nothing to do with fit or cleat position).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement