Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canon D600 for making documentaries / shorts?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

Using this camera (Canon D600) and renting quality lenses, lighting, microphones etc. is it possible to make a quality documentary / short?

Obviously there are a huge amount of other factors invoved but from a technical perspective would this camera used with some rented extras as necessary be good enough to make a documentary / short of a high enough standard to enter into the major competitions/festivals?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

NWheat13 wrote: »
    Hello,

Using this camera (Canon D600) and renting quality lenses, lighting, microphones etc. is it possible to make a quality documentary / short?

Obviously there are a huge amount of other factors invoved but from a technical perspective would this camera used with some rented extras as necessary be good enough to make a documentary / short of a high enough standard to enter into the major competitions/festivals?

Cheers

I reckon it would, it'll shoot decent quality 1080 so yeah. It's downside is poor enough low light performance, but if your lighting is up to scratch you should be fine. Now, it wouldn't be up to spec for TV broadcast, but film festivals etc be fine.

I'd recommend checking out magic lantern as well for the camera, gives it a host of really useful tools to help with filming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

I've a 600d and it does produce good quality images. Although its not a full frame sensor its still pretty impressive. Would defiantly look into magic lantern, and some prime lens that are good with low light. All the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Yes, definitely. I've used the 600D to make a few docs that have gone to festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NWheat13

Cheers lads,

Very helpful.

11811, could you explain why it would not be good enough for TV but good enough for film festivals?

To a novice like me that seems arseways.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

NWheat13 wrote: »
    Cheers lads,

Very helpful.

11811, could you explain why it would not be good enough for TV but good enough for film festivals?

To a novice like me that seems arseways.

Cheers

Most broadcasters have certain technical specs that content must adhere to, especially now with HD broadcasting etc. One is a minimum data rate, when the video is being originally encoded in the camera. The BBC of instance, this data rate would have to be a minimum of 50mb/s. This particular camera wouldn't be able to produce this.

Now that said, some broadcasters overlook these specs sometimes if the content is particularly good, not the main part of the broadcast or part of a short films programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 NWheat13

Just trying to get my head around data rates at the minute 11811.

That makes sense now . Cheers

Advertisement