Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you move seats on a crowded bus if a 2 seater frees up?

• 27-03-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

So let's say you're on a crowded bus, sitting beside someone. And 2 seats near you free up. Do you move and sit there so you can sit by yourself?

I usually wouldn't be bothered moving, unless i'm beside someone that stinks, or someone obese that is taking up parts of my seat.

Comments

If it's a long journey then yes. But only to get a window seat. Chances are someone will sit beside you anyway after you move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Of course I do.

I also try to make eye contact with the other person feigning a slight look of disgust so as to make them self concious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Wasn't this done recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Sometimes.

It depends on how long in the journey is left and if it's someone that is clearly resentful that I DARED to sit next to them in the first place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nah I don't mind sitting beside people, as long as they don't try to engage in any sort of social interaction with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sometimes, if its near the front. Can't understand who'd sit down the back, the freaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

No, I don't think the bus driver would appreciate me moving the seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

i do if the free two seater is near me so it doesnt look too bad etc, yeah i know i think too much sometimes :o

there seems to be some strange thing that when theres lots of seats free, and you get your window seat, someone decides "oh i dont want to sit on my own or something" :rolleyes: and plonks in next to you!
    ive no problem with someone sitting next to me on the bus when theres no seats, thats obviously what theyve got to do, but when theres about 4 free double seats!? :confused:

still not as bad as people who basically sit on you in the cinema :mad:
    drives me nuts especially when theres plenty of seats around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Wouldn't be too bothered unless the person I'm sitting next to smells or I feel like I'm about to fall asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate being on the inside seat, stuck next to some prick who doesn't move when a two seater becomes available.

But then again, I have personal space issues, so it probably doesn't bother normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my pet hate is when you're on an empty bus or train and someone gets on and choses the seat beside you!!!!! **** off you personal space bubble disrespecting arsehole!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So let's say you're on a crowded bus, sitting beside someone. And 2 seats near you free up. Do you move and sit there
    Only if the person next to me does it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

If the person on the inside had their bag beside them when I sat down originally then I wouldn't move when the seat came free.

Otherwise I would if there weren't many stops left before mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I was told years ago that if you want to keep the seat beside you empty for as long as possible. Then you should catch the eye of everyone boarding the bus and look a bit freaky. I tried it and it works. Obviously if you're a pretty girl this might not be so successful. But I'm ugly enough to get away with it. On the other hand if it's a freak getting on the bus you might have a problem.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

yup I did it this morning but probably cos the seat was straight across from the one I was in. Also the bus wasn't overly crowded - just one of those awkward ones where there's one person at the window in every seat upstairs. I'd one leg out in the aisle as well as yer man was airing out his jewels which is cool by me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

On a crowded bus, no, whats the point unless you're some anal nutter who has to get next the window. Chances are someone will be sitting down next to you by the time you're all cosy, singing 'yay!' to yourself next your little window.

Now the front seats up stairs? OUTA' MY WAY!!!

This gives me an idea for another thread...

I like that seat behind the stairs, upstairs. Plenty of legroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Only on long journeys where there's a chance that they, or that I, may fart, sweat profusely, or fall asleep.

I usually pick the seat behind my steering wheel. Ample legroom and no smelly junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

only if the double seat is one with more legroom or the person beside me stinks/has crap taste in music and bad headphones like beats that allow a lot of leakage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

I will only move if the spare ones are right beside me.

I tend to go for the seats where people leave their coats or other crap when busses/trains are crowded and ask them to move it so I can take the seat but I'll never sit at the front on a long journey as that's where the old people gather and I hate getting stuck by them as they're always moving, coughing dying etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I hate it when i use the toilet in work and there is 5 free cubicles then someone comes in and uses the one next to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I find sitting there colouring in a colouring book while mumbling to myself does the trick - if anyone looks to be getting past that, I deliberately colour outside one of the lines and then start grunting and rocking backwards and forwards on the seat. That'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Kamjana wrote: »
    I hate it when i use the toilet in work and there is 5 free cubicles then someone comes in and uses the one next to you!

Could be worse - they could try to use the same one as you . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

on a long trip yes but usually i end up being stuck beside the window with a crazy person (or one of my friends ex's) sitting beside me. they're always fun 3 hour trips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Depends on two things: (a) the person I'm sitting beside, and (b) whether the newly free seat is opposite another free seat (more legroom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dub boy

I door all the time mainly because I like my own space but also so I can have a little kip. But at least once a week you will get some lard arse crushing you who has no manners or just doesn't see you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

xflyer wrote: »
    I was told years ago that if you want to keep the seat beside you empty for as long as possible. Then you should catch the eye of everyone boarding the bus and look a bit freaky. I tried it and it works. Obviously if you're a pretty girl this might not be so successful. But I'm ugly enough to get away with it. On the other hand if it's a freak getting on the bus you might have a problem.:D

This works for me as well. Also a newspaper or some rubbish also works. People dont know if its your paper/rubbish or not so instead of engaging in conversation to ask, they just toddle on by :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

If I'm getting on to a bus and I see someone moving into an empty two seater I'll deliberately sit beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Edz87 wrote: »
    I usually pick the seat behind my steering wheel. Ample legroom and no smelly junkies.

Thats the squealing baby end though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Same spot every time.
    Top deck, window seat, 7th from the front on the left.
    If that's not OCD I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've never been on a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I always move cause I love my personal space. Yup, and I resent people for sitting beside me in the first place though I know it's unfair and not necessarily their fault. But my bag really needs a seat of its own...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I gotta get a double seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

3 pages and no Bus Wanker, shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I move, but only after silently farting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Not on a Dublin bus its a bit fussy, but for longer journeys getting your own seats is worth moving for for you can lean across them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Same spot every time.
    Top deck, window seat, 7th from the front on the left.
    If that's not OCD I don't know what is.

i think thats the one with the most legroom...the one behind it is the dwarf seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Depends on the size and standard of personal hygiene of the person beside me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

• Advertisement

i do unless im getting off the bus soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    ive no problem with someone sitting next to me on the bus when theres no seats, thats obviously what they got to do, but when theres about 4 free double seats!? :confused:!

maybe they want to perv at your cleavage?

Advertisement