Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Lawyers are worth their fees?

• 09-03-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

I was taken to Court and lost the case., I just felt that the 'other sides' Lawyer was better than mine`, (nothing to do with the facts of the case) and I resented the fees I had to pay to mine.

Anyone else have the sasme experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Mine have always been excellent value for money.
    No complaints here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Hope your sig isn't something you said in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't know, never needed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Steer clear of Lionel Hutz next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Wouldn't have a clue cos i've never needed one.
    Trick is to not get caught:cool:

Surely though the lawyer would've went through the costs beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What do you call 1,000 dead lawyers under the sea?
    A good start

mikom wrote: »
    Steer clear of Lionel Hutz next time.
    And Louis Tully from Ghostbusters II

And the chicken from Futurama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

They are worth about the same price as a bullet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a clue cos i've never needed one.
    Trick is to not get caught:cool:

Surely though the lawyer would've went through the costs beforehand?

Oh yeh, they were!
    I was also led to believe that I had "a very strong case" and that we would "go for costs" as well!

Lesson: Never ever go into court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

No.

Expecially tribunal lawyers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    What do you call 1,000 dead lawyers under the sea?
    A good start

How do you view Spoilers?

Move over the grey box like you're highlighting it to Copy & Paste it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

scroll across it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What they said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No. They is cants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

http://www.rate-your-solicitor.com/

Sums up the legal profession really well.

Greed, incompetence, corruption and crass arrogance are all common themes running through the comments of these past customers of the "legal profession".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

jetsonx wrote: »

Greed, incompetence, corruption and crass arrogance are all common themes running through the comments of these past customers of the "legal profession".

must be a brave man running that site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For some strange reason, the worst one of the whole lot is still in business, and he's been the worst one for quite a while.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I was actually speaking to a solicitor today who was getting out of the game. He said there had been plenty of crooks, as in any profession, who ruined its name.
    And that its actually very hard to make money because of the fact that you have to give people a price at the beginning. More often than not they are not honest with you and when there are two more unforseen court dates as a result of this they refuse to pay.

Of course thats not every situation but quite a lot. He firmly believes that anyone would be mad to enter the profession now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I was actually speaking to a solicitor today who was getting out of the game. He said there had been plenty of crooks, as in any profession, who ruined its name.
    And that its actually very hard to make money because of the fact that you have to give people a price at the beginning. More often than not they are not honest with you and when there are two more unforseen court dates as a result of this they refuse to pay.

Of course thats not every situation but quite a lot. He firmly believes that anyone would be mad to enter the profession now

So that's his story, I have little sympathy for him. Throw any case of merit at him and he would mess it up. Just like your post is messed up and full of ShI**

Any client that lies to his solicitor on most material facts can he dropped by that solicitor there and then with fees paid and kept. Read the court rules.

It's an income. He will most likely be paid by legal aid so every additional day is additional income.

IMO He is getting paid so he says nothing thats whats happening, just more greed and letting criminals overun the jusdicial system and when a case requiring some acts of pro bono jurisprudence comes along or an innocent man you can be sure he will get the poor man locked up.

On the legal forum they will explain this to you. I can get quotes
    It is not incumbent on a solicitor to investigate anything.

If thats the attitude and your innocent then you will lose your case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Depends on what they're doing for you I guess, sure some are better than others but that goes for every service you avail of.. it's up to you to weigh up what's available before you commit to anything

pirelli wrote: »

So that's his story, I have little sympathy for him. Throw any case of merit at him and he would mess it up. Just like your post is messed up and full of ShI**

Any client that lies to his solicitor on most material facts can he dropped by that solicitor there and then with fees paid and kept. Read the court rules.

It's an income. He will most likely be paid by legal aid so every additional day is additional income.

IMO He is getting paid so he says nothing thats whats happening, just more greed and letting criminals overun the jusdicial system and when a case requiring some acts of pro bono jurisprudence comes along or an innocent man you can be sure he will get the poor man locked up.

On the legal forum they will explain this to you. I can get quotes

If thats the attitude and your innocent then you will lose your case.

Sorry, I now see sense. There is no doubt in my mind that every one of them are complete scumbags with no redeeming features. Each and every one of them are only in it for the money and couldn't give a hoot about their clients needs. They are all lacking in integrity and practical ethics and there is not one of these 'people' that take any pride in their work.

Just like the politicians

And the teachers

And the Garda

And the builders

etc etc etc

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its a black and white world isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Sorry, I now see sense. There is no doubt in my mind that every one of them are complete scumbags with no redeeming features. Each and every one of them are only in it for the money and couldn't give a hoot about their clients needs. They are all lacking in integrity and practical ethics and there is not one of these 'people' that take any pride in their work.

Yes, this sums up the legal profession perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Eh, pretty rudimentary selection bias. Only people who have a sincere motivation are going to post on that site, and unfortunately such is the human inclination that we are more likely to loudly condemn than praise.
    Now if you took the total number of bad complaints on that site and expressed it as a percentage of the total number of all client/solicitor engagements over the same time period, we might get somewhere interesting.

Anyway, I've only dealt with them a few times, and they're mainly facking cants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I work with them on a regular basis as part of my job. Like any profession there are those amongst them who are unsavory, arrogant and incompetent but most are a pleasure to deal with and genuinely trojan in the amount of hours they put in - so yes, for the amount of years they train and the sheer depth of knowledge they need to have to practice, I do think that their fees are fair enough.

Edited to say... Actually if I had to differentiate I'd say that barristers are worth their fees - solicitors, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

they are when they win your case for you!

Just like the politicians

And the teachers

And the Garda

And the builders

etc etc etc

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its a black and white world isn't it

Good man Slasher.

The poor pen pusher probably didn't even know the court rule's. They are available in the law society criminal litigation.It clearly states that the solicitor is obliged to cease acting for the client in such an event. He still gets paid.

Good God how does it fell to have spoken with one of these eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

No, I bought a site of a man who used the same solicitor firm as me. Charged €5500 to swap a few letters with his colleague upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Pirelli, you don't get sarcasm do ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Depends on the case and the individuals involved.

I'm sure the likes of Michael Jackson and O.J. Simpson considered their money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No i dont think they are worth their fee;s. Laywers and barristers. However Judges need a good fee as they have a big burden to bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Lawyers and Solicitors are the biggest parasites in society.
    We'd be better off without them.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Pirelli, you don't get sarcasm do ya?

Your not the brightest smartie either, he had few choices, He could argue that the solicitor is being lied too by the client but the court rules as specified in the law society criminal litigation rules provide that a solicitor has an armoury of options to handle clients of such a nature.The obvious one being he can withdraw his services immediately. The solicitor can even silence the client from speaking if he likes. You should read it...this type of behaviour doesn't have to be tolerated.

It might be after hours but slasher really came up with a rubbish point. As it happened he gave in gracefully perhaps ruefully. I would have liked slasher to have said that well you cannot even have a civil conversation with a solicitor without them lying to you.

More than likely the bastard was leaving Irish law because he had a property portfolio in bulgaria and was absconding the country top avoid detection.

pirelli wrote: »
    Your not the brightest smartie either, he had few choices, He could argue that the solicitor is being lied too by the client but the court rules as specified in the law society criminal litigation rules provide that a solicitor has an armoury of options to handle clients of such a nature.The obvious one being he can withdraw his services immediately. The solicitor can even silence the client from speaking if he likes. You should read it...this type of behaviour doesn't have to be tolerated.

It might be after hours but slasher really came up with a rubbish point. As it happened he gave in gracefully perhaps ruefully. I would have liked slasher to have said that well you cannot even have a civil conversation with a solicitor without them lying to you.

More than likely the bastard was leaving Irish law because he had a property portfolio in bulgaria and was absconding the country top avoid detection.

I should have replied to you, you did make a good and valid point regarding the rules of court.

But I am no longer going to take part in any conversations where wild presumptions are made, ie that he and all solicitors are bastards.
    Such statements made about any profession are ridiculous imo

I should have replied to you, you did make a good and valid point regarding the rules of court.

But I am no longer going to take part in any conversations where wild presumptions are made, ie that he and all solicitors are bastards.

Slasher: I apologise, however do not underestimate how useless irish solicitors are.
    Look at Willy O'Dea, aside from the fact he was previously a legal eagle does not overshadow the poor work done by the solicitor that represented him. They should have at least checked all of the facts out. Perhaps Willys resignation suggests there was more to it than that. However it shouldn't have happened.

I took the matter up in the legal forum where alot of solicitors give their opinions. I was told that it is not incumbent upon a solicitor to investigate anything.

Despite the fact it might cause a national scandal or might cause an innocent man to take a guilty plea, a solicitor is apparently under no obligation to investigate any facts. If the DPP has a book of evidence and it is full of lies your solicitor can not defend you. They will advise you to plead guilty. They are such an easy push over.

It is not nice having to depend on people like this for our freedoms and for the excerise of our rights and protection of the constitution. These values are simply in the wrong hands. Hence the reason for the excessive insults to match the excessive fees.

Sometimes if they are not utterly incompetent or lose your case or dump it for a better one they are charming and they have an aura of professionalism but in the end this ends in them trying to rip you off. They are not a nice bunch of people.

There are some good lawyers. I just watched a courtcase in Amercia where an assistant coach was accused of masterbating in public next to the stands in a home football game, In fact he had medical condition prostate related and was trying to urinate during a home game off to the side.

He was blatantly innocent and you just wanted to strangle the prosecution. His lawyer was brilliant truly great and defended him and shouted down the prosecution, i mean you knew they were being bastards. He was found not guilty of course. These guys are great...but American lawyers do investigate Facts. In nearly 90 % of miscarriages of justice i have looked at the defendants attorny made no attempt to challenge any of the facts and more than likely made no effort to investigate them. Thsi is becoeming the norm for miscarrigaes of justice.

As long as the irish solicitor maintains that it is not incumbent on them to investigate any facts then they are a good example of why micarriages of justice are guaranteed in ireland.

The big law firms are good at suing people but they are out of reach of the lay person and representative of larger corporations. The solicitors that advertise fees available to the general public are usually a slippery bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Lawyers are worth 10 times their weight in silver

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

Yes, as a wanna be lawyer I believe they are worth every penny and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

This is what I was getting at, not the rules of the court point

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No, the whole system of law is banjaxed IMO so that makes the people working in it not worth anything. The law system turns very smart people into simple cogs in a big bureaucratic mess. We're working off 200 year old texts instead of facts and circumstances in some cases.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mostly they're not worth anything like what they're paid but I once had a lawyer who cost under twenty euros for the three hours it took me to win my case and the 1300 euros that went with it, so she was definitely a positive exception.

• Advertisement
Advertisement