Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Student looking for Advice from Pros

Options
  • 23-11-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Preemptive TLDR: If I was your intern, what would you like my competencies/skill level to be?

Hi Guys,

I posted here a few months back about doing an ICT conversion course (Hdip Web Dev) and got lots of advice. Well, I'm a few months into it now and loving it. Best decision I've ever made. I'm studying non stop, ahead of the classes and doing other technologies we don't be covering at home myself (like Jquery and Node.js). I don't even mind barely having a social life because I just love this tuff even more than I thought I would. All I do is read, study, practice, eat, sleep and go to classes. :o

Anyways, we have to do a summer work placement and it's advised that we start looking in January. I own my .com but have no portfolio to speak of, really.

So far my class work is just HTML/CSS mini-sites, some Java code assignments, building databases, learning computer networking etc... no major pieces of work really.

We have a project for the end of this semester to plan, design and build a company website with HTML + CSS + Javascript which I'm looking forward to. Thinking of doing a Bus Company website and using Javascript to enable users to select a stop, time and direction to get a schedule for that bus. So that'd be one project I could have.

Just wondering if anyone who has hired interns/summer work placements in the past has anything they would like to see in a student portfolio? I'd like to work with backend stuff but I like front end too. Node and Jquery are fun to learn and play with.

Any ideas for apps?

Also - I don't see many companies offering internships. Lots of jobsbridge ones but they seem to be non-tech companies mostly looking for a free web developer :( . Would it be best to send out lots of emails come Janruary explaining myself and linking to my portfolio?

I'd really appreciate any insight or advice! I'm really passionate about this stuff and will do literally anything to break into Web Development, but I've not much idea about how companies recruit or what they want from interns.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

As someone who interview potential new candidates I'm sorry to say but I've been extremely disappointed by the standard of talent coming out of college from graduates. I'm sure you're the exception OP but in general graduate standard is very rough (I'm not being pessimistic, I really try and give graduates every chance, it's even got so bad that I now run a mentor program in the company I work for to try and get people who don't work in development roles interested in them and get them up to a level where they stand a chance in an interview).

You seem to be on the right track though which is reassuring. My advice to you is pick a project (doesn't matter what it is or how terrible an idea it is) and make it work. Use it to strengthen your skill set. The amount of graduates I've interviewed who have been out of college for a year and who haven't written a single line of code since is just ridiculous. Pick the project, design it, understand it and be able to explain and demonstrate the project and your design decisions in an interview. Not only will that show that you're a motivated developer who is passionate about development, but it will equip you with the familiarity in what ever your chosen technology is in order to ace any technical interviews or technical questions.

Don't stop reading about the technology you're interested in either. Make sure you're keeping up with it, and stay interested in how you design things well and to best practice. Node.js, Angular, Jquery, java, C, C++, Python, Ruby, doesn't matter what it is they all have a good way of doing things and a bad way. Learn the good way to the best of your ability. Do this in your spare time. This will put you miles ahead of the rest of pretty much everyone out there. Don't sell yourself short either, don't work for free. Once you have your foot in the door, you're in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stupid stuff 1: learn how to make calls/book rooms/schedule meetings, I know of an intern who failed as they didn't know to hit 9 to dial an outside line, so ask about stupid **** like that.

Stupid stuff 2: Pick a project that hasn't been done, how is your project different from a-b.ie?

I know one of the companies I work for would be dead keen to have an intern come in, develop our website, kick us up the arse to contribute (most of us are contractors with a bit of a personal involvement) etc, but we won't advertise, so seek out companies.

For a software engineer role it doesn't really matter if the project has been done before or not. I'm only looking for the ability to design, develop and show an understanding of an application that you've worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Sheeps wrote: »
    As someone who interview potential new candidates I'm sorry to say but I've been extremely disappointed by the standard of talent coming out of college from graduates. I'm sure you're the exception OP but in general graduate standard is very rough (I'm not being pessimistic, I really try and give graduates every chance, it's even got so bad that I now run a mentor program in the company I work for to try and get people who don't work in development roles interested in them and get them up to a level where they stand a chance in an interview).

Stupid question probably, but what SHOULD a graduate be able to do?

To be honest, a lot of my class are struggling with object orientated programming (Java). We've been here 8 weeks. I'd say a 1/3 of the class are still struggling with basics like variables, data types etc..

Another third are somewhat getting onto making small programs using multiple classes but still complain about not getting it and most of the time they submit half working code.

And there's a few of us who are doing fine and if anything getting a little bored with the slow pace. I'd like the pace to pick up a bit.

I guess what I'm asking is, in basic programming terms, what should I be able to do?
    You seem to be on the right track though which is reassuring. My advice to you is pick a project (doesn't matter what it is or how terrible an idea it is) and make it work. Use it to strengthen your skill set. The amount of graduates I've interviewed who have been out of college for a year and who haven't written a single line of code since is just ridiculous. Pick the project, design it, understand it and be able to explain and demonstrate the project and your design decisions in an interview. Not only will that show that you're a motivated developer who is passionate about development, but it will equip you with the familiarity in what ever your chosen technology is in order to ace any technical interviews or technical questions.

What do you think of a small bus company site that uses JS to bring up the correct timetable, along with generally being a more 'brochure' site for the company. Would that be god? Or perhaps aim for something more complex like comparing private bus routes to Dublin Bus RTPI using their API (I couldn't do this just yet, but I'd learn!).
    Don't stop reading about the technology you're interested in either. Make sure you're keeping up with it, and stay interested in how you design things well and to best practice. Node.js, Angular, Jquery, java, C, C++, Python, Ruby, doesn't matter what it is they all have a good way of doing things and a bad way. Learn the good way to the best of your ability. Do this in your spare time. This will put you miles ahead of the rest of pretty much everyone out there. Don't sell yourself short either, don't work for free. Once you have your foot in the door, you're in.
    My goal is that by the summer of 2016 I'll have a CSS and HTML down, a good knowledge Javascript and JQuery, and hopefully be able to make small apps with Node. Also PHP and MySQL stuff. I love reading so it should be a challenge to keep up with the news. :)
    Stheno wrote: »
    Stupid stuff 1: learn how to make calls/book rooms/schedule meetings, I know of an intern who failed as they didn't know to hit 9 to dial an outside line, so ask about stupid **** like that.

Stupid stuff 2: Pick a project that hasn't been done, how is your project different from a-b.ie?

I know one of the companies I work for would be dead keen to have an intern come in, develop our website, kick us up the arse to contribute (most of us are contractors with a bit of a personal involvement) etc, but we won't advertise, so seek out companies.

I was an office worker for two years so hopefully that should help with the admin side of things!

I think I'll try get a website up with 2 little projects displayed by the end of January and built on that. I have lots of ideas for side projects but many of them are outside my grasp right now. Need to dumb them down a little. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Fukuyama wrote: »

To be honest, a lot of my class are struggling with object orientated programming (Java). We've been here 8 weeks. I'd say a 1/3 of the class are still struggling with basics like variables, data types etc..

Another third are somewhat getting onto making small programs using multiple classes but still complain about not getting it and most of the time they submit half working code.

And there's a few of us who are doing fine and if anything getting a little bored with the slow pace. I'd like the pace to pick up a bit.

I guess what I'm asking is, in basic programming terms, what should I be able to do?

Not a stupid question at all. The simple answer is that you should have basic core competency in your chosen technology and a demonstrable passion for that technology.

For me as a java developer I would be looking for basic core java knowledge (a bit of knowledge of the JVM and it's make up but not in any great detail). Be aware of at the very least some of the generic collections framework (using lists and maps etc), file and stream IO, knowledge of strings and a very good understanding of OOP and interfaces as well as the very basics.

Anything extra is a bonus (frameworks like core spring, ORM and persistence technologies like Ibatis or hibernate) but are not essential. They would be good talking points in an interview. I would consider anyone who had any level of in depth knowledge of those on top of really good core java an extremely strong candidate for someone of 1 or 2 years experience.

If I was looking for a front end developer for a UI/UX or web development role it would again depend on the technology. For angularjs or the like I would expect them to be very familiar with the concepts around dependency injection and data binding and the problems that they solve at a high level.
    What do you think of a small bus company site that uses JS to bring up the correct timetable, along with generally being a more 'brochure' site for the company. Would that be god? Or perhaps aim for something more complex like comparing private bus routes to Dublin Bus RTPI using their API (I couldn't do this just yet, but I'd learn!).

Sounds Great. Start simple and add bits on as you learn and grow more confidence. See if you can get a back end and a database going in there too. Create a few end points for contacting the database and build some kind of a front end that will call the end points and drive data through.

This will give you the opportunity to learn about architecture patterns like MVC and cover stuff like AJAX, HTTP protocol, Security and will get you looking at all the database layer stuff.

My goal is that by the summer of 2016 I'll have a CSS and HTML down, a good knowledge Javascript and JQuery, and hopefully be able to make small apps with Node. Also PHP and MySQL stuff. I love reading so it should be a challenge to keep up with the news. :)

I was an office worker for two years so hopefully that should help with the admin side of things!

I think I'll try get a website up with 2 little projects displayed by the end of January and built on that. I have lots of ideas for side projects but many of them are outside my grasp right now. Need to dumb them down a little. :o

You sound like you're definitely on the right track. If you don't feel you are strong in core java/python/node/php/what ever and that's definitely the route you would like to take I would advise looking at an internship where you can hone your skills and learn more. I promise you that you will learn more in your first year as a developer than in your entire career in academics.

Keep on producing things in your spare time and improving your technical ability. Build confidence in your ability and never ever stop learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Another third are somewhat getting onto making small programs using

Are you talking about people who have no experience in software development previously from college, or people who should have a fundamental understanding of it already? as there is a significant difference.

In context, I'm back in college studying software development, but I've been working in the industry for a few years. (Need the degree see.....). I'll admit that for the software aspect of the course where we are at the moment, i'm bored off my face, but there are quite a lot of people who are struggling to understand the concept of variables, loops, decision structures and so on.

Are you talking about people who have no experience in software development previously from college, or people who should have a fundamental understanding of it already? as there is a significant difference.

In context, I'm back in college studying software development, but I've been working in the industry for a few years. (Need the degree see.....). I'll admit that for the software aspect of the course where we are at the moment, i'm bored off my face, but there are quite a lot of people who are struggling to understand the concept of variables, loops, decision structures and so on.

It's an ICT conversion course so everyone is new to programming. I would have thought that after 7-8 weeks of lectures and studying you should know how to use loops, variables etc.. ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's an ICT conversion course so everyone is new to programming. I would have thought that after 7-8 weeks of lectures and studying you should know how to use loops, variables etc.. ?

A lecturer can only do so much in 7-8 weeks. It's up to the students to go the extra mile. When I was learning, I bought a couple of books and followed examples I found on the net. I was unfortunate in leaving College, when I couldn't secure an internship or a mentor, so it was up to me to keep learning. Ask me to explain inheritance or abstraction and I'll more than likely look at you crossed eyed, but that's my fault. I have no bother putting an application together, whether it be in Java, C/C++/C#, .NET or any scripting language.

Itzy wrote: »
    A lecturer can only do so much in 7-8 weeks.

This. Go too fast and you run the risk of information overload and its a complete waste of time. OOP programming is a massive subject and its important to get the basic fundamentals nailed down first.

On the other hand, Solas do an online java associate course, and if you do it, they race through material straight into classes, constructors, encapsulation and all that stuff without any real concrete examples as you go. Its a nightmare for a n00b

• Advertisement

This. Go too fast and you run the risk of information overload and its a complete waste of time. OOP programming is a massive subject and its important to get the basic fundamentals nailed down first.

On the other hand, Solas do an online java associate course, and if you do it, they race through material straight into classes, constructors, encapsulation and all that stuff without any real concrete examples as you go. Its a nightmare for a n00b

I guess so. I guess my concern was that emerging from an ICT conversion course being able to do loops and other basic things would be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to knowledge needed to gain an internship. Maybe I'm setting the bar a bit too high then?

I would have thought that to secure an internship you'd have to be able to at least write small programs or build small sites.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

1. Be easy to work with.
    2. Be enthuastic.
    3. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
    4. Don't do anything obviously stupid.
    5. Learn from your mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

As long as you can demonstrate that you have a thorough understanding or your project work you should be fine. In my first real interview out of college I was asked to talk about a project that I had worked on so naturally I picked my final year project. I gave an outline of the project and a good description of the technical side and that stood to me I think.

You sound enthusiastic about software development so bring that attitude with you and you'll have an internship in no time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It can be the same for any course really. Go too fast or don't provide adequate working examples and it's lost on the students. That's were another set of skills that can't be thought comes into play, asking questions and Googling the answer. If a lecturer can provide a solid basis 'and' the student is willing to learn, then theoretically, there shouldn't be a problem.

It can be the same for any course really. Go too fast or don't provide adequate working examples and it's lost on the students. That's were another set of skills that can't be thought comes into play, asking questions and Googling the answer. If a lecturer can provide a solid basis 'and' the student is willing to learn, then theoretically, there shouldn't be a problem.

This appears to be the problem more times than not, or should I say
    if(!Student.willingToLearn())

is generally where the problems start

To be fair the lecturer has a curriculum he needs to meet and we were warned for day one that it was an ICT, so fairly intensive. However, even in labs several students refuse to google little things or rely on spoon feeding from the lecturer.

And to be honest I also found it odd that there's a general lack of personal interest in IT, software, web development etc... among my classmates. I wouldn't have thought it'd be the norm to have so many people in an industry like IT who don't really love it. :confused:

To be fair the lecturer has a curriculum he needs to meet and we were warned for day one that it was an ICT, so fairly intensive. However, even in labs several students refuse to google little things or rely on spoon feeding from the lecturer.

And to be honest I also found it odd that there's a general lack of personal interest in IT, software, web development etc... among my classmates. I wouldn't have thought it'd be the norm to have so many people in an industry like IT who don't really love it. :confused:

Then this is the problem, not the pace of the course or anything else. They're simply not bothered. Few of them in my course too. Best of luck to them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Also - I don't see many companies offering internships. Lots of jobsbridge ones but they seem to be non-tech companies mostly looking for a free web developer :( . Would it be best to send out lots of emails come Janruary explaining myself and linking to my portfolio?

I'd really appreciate any insight or advice! I'm really passionate about this stuff and will do literally anything to break into Web Development, but I've not much idea about how companies recruit or what they want from interns

I'd suggest getting into the Google Summer of Code for a very well known web programming platform such as Drupal. If you can get in, and then if you can pass the summer internship, not only is it an enormous asset on your CV but the contacts you make and having a mentor who can recommend you to people is a big win for getting work. Google, of course, use GSoC mainly as a recruiting device so if you do particularly well you'll be approached by Google, but Facebook and the other web multinationals also scour the graduation list.

Your college may accept a Google Summer of Code as a work placement - you are paid by Google after all. But I'd ask first.

Niall

...And to be honest I also found it odd that there's a general lack of personal interest in IT, software, web development etc... among my classmates. I wouldn't have thought it'd be the norm to have so many people in an industry like IT who don't really love it. :confused:

That's the thing, unless you love what you do, you're wasting your time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's the thing, unless you love what you do, you're wasting your time.

Unfortunately that's not entirely true, there's plenty of 'developers' out there who have limited love, clue or ability for the vocation. It's demonstrated time and time again in this very forum when posts for 'starting salary'/'do my homework' come before (and often outnumber) the technical/learning questions.

It's only the occasional post like this that restore my faith in the next generation of developers.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not entirely true, there's plenty of 'developers' out there who have limited love, clue or ability for the vocation. It's demonstrated time and time again in this very forum when posts for 'starting salary'/'do my homework' come before (and often outnumber) the technical/learning questions.

It's only the occasional post like this that restore my faith in the next generation of developers.

My own experience is obviously severely limited, but from a student perspective it seems that the high salaries and availability of jobs are attracting people who otherwise would be pursuing other fields. The government have started up big funneling systems to get as many students into IT as possible (for example, Springboard which I'm on).

Anyone in the course who actually is personally interested in IT (I'd say 3 of us out of a class of 30) seem to have become interested/fascinated as teenagers. One guy mentioned getting hooked on the Commodore 64 in the late 80s. For me it was downloading web pages' source code (circa 2002) and editing them to make my own shoddy sites.

This disparity has me a little confused I guess. From what I can see most of us will leave this course with a basic understanding of the curriculum. I assume it was the same for last years class however, apparently, the majority of them secured internships and jobs right away.

Is there really such a shortage of developers that people can half-ass a course, skim by and land a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

My own experience is obviously severely limited, but from a student perspective it seems that the high salaries and availability of jobs are attracting people who otherwise would be pursuing other fields. The government have started up big funneling systems to get as many students into IT as possible (for example, Springboard which I'm on).

Anyone in the course who actually is personally interested in IT (I'd say 3 of us out of a class of 30) seem to have become interested/fascinated as teenagers. One guy mentioned getting hooked on the Commodore 64 in the late 80s. For me it was downloading web pages' source code (circa 2002) and editing them to make my own shoddy sites.

This disparity has me a little confused I guess. From what I can see most of us will leave this course with a basic understanding of the curriculum. I assume it was the same for last years class however, apparently, the majority of them secured internships and jobs right away.

Is there really such a shortage of developers that people can half-ass a course, skim by and land a job?

From what I can see it doesnt take much to get into the level one helpdesk type roles or customer service in a few places round here where you can then move up over time but if you want to go in a bit higher up more qualification ie degree plus evidence of experience is required.

Alot on my course started because they thought the money would be good at the end and some have found areas they enjoy. Alot also washed out because it wasn't what they expected. Down from 28 to about 10 now.

Ant695 wrote: »
    From what I can see it doesnt take much to get into the level one helpdesk type roles or customer service in a few places round here where you can then move up over time but if you want to go in a bit higher up more qualification ie degree plus evidence of experience is required.

Alot on my course started because they thought the money would be good at the end and some have found areas they enjoy. Alot also washed out because it wasn't what they expected. Down from 28 to about 10 now.

How far along is your course?

How far along is your course?

2nd semester of class starts in january and then finished in may but degree starts then in september. On placement now since june.

I've always had a love of coding, much like the OP when it comes to fiddling with html in the early days. I decided two years ago that I had enough of the hum drum jobs (hgv driver being one of them) and decided to do something about it. I started on android in my spare time building an app that consumed data from an API, and moved to learning java with small command line projects using the twitter api. 12 months ago I blagged an internship as a PHP developer even though I'd never used php before. I'm now what they call their 'lead developer', but I went back to college this year to do an honors degree in computing. All going well I'll be leaving college in 4 years with an honors degree and 5 + years experience in developing software. I figured, I came this far on my own with no help really in the space of less than a year, so imagine what I can do with a formal education. I have an opportunity which I'm taking advantage of, and i have the potential to be very very good at it.
    I see the same lax attitude by some of the people in my course - not bothering going to class, not paying attention, not giving a toss.... its easy to see who won't last the pace here and who will do well.

I guess, in a roundabout way I'm saying that if you don't have an interest in this field, then don't be expecting wonderful things. I have a big interest in it, and I intend to do well out of it. If I don't it won't be because I didn't try hard enough.

I've always had a love of coding, much like the OP when it comes to fiddling with html in the early days. I decided two years ago that I had enough of the hum drum jobs (hgv driver being one of them) and decided to do something about it. I started on android in my spare time building an app that consumed data from an API, and moved to learning java with small command line projects using the twitter api. 12 months ago I blagged an internship as a PHP developer even though I'd never used php before. I'm now what they call their 'lead developer', but I went back to college this year to do an honors degree in computing. All going well I'll be leaving college in 4 years with an honors degree and 5 + years experience in developing software. I figured, I came this far on my own with no help really in the space of less than a year, so imagine what I can do with a formal education. I have an opportunity which I'm taking advantage of, and i have the potential to be very very good at it.
    I see the same lax attitude by some of the people in my course - not bothering going to class, not paying attention, not giving a toss.... its easy to see who won't last the pace here and who will do well.

I guess, in a roundabout way I'm saying that if you don't have an interest in this field, then don't be expecting wonderful things. I have a big interest in it, and I intend to do well out of it. If I don't it won't be because I didn't try hard enough.

Well said. You will only get out of it what you put in and the ones who spend class time on facebook or skip classes they "learn nothing in" will hopefully get found out when it comes crunch time although it's entirely possible they lag there way into a job and the cycle continues.

Personally I love programming and the software dev classes are by far my favourite. I especially like when I can't get something to work and ten when I figure it out and it compiles with no errors is a great feeling but alot of people in my class glaze over in it because they can't get they're head around it and do the minimum to get by.

Congrats on making the change to something you enjoy and I hope the course goes well.

That's very inspiring to read!

I found myself in a somewhat similar position. Except I was working office jobs etc... Very tedious work. I was promoted but found myself swimming in boring bureaucracy, busy work and paper shuffling. I made a few VBA scripts to automate a lot of my tedious work (resulting in about 3 work-free hours per day :D ) and all the memories of mini-projects on my computer as a teenager came back. I started practicing Javascript at night and decided to quit my job and go back to college full time.

It's tough, particularly living on savings, but hopefully in a year I'll be in a paying position and actually enjoy my work!

Ant695 wrote: »
    Well said. You will only get out of it what you put in and the ones who spend class time on facebook or skip classes they "learn nothing in" will hopefully get found out when it comes crunch time although it's entirely possible they lag there way into a job and the cycle continues.

Unfortunately, I think lecturers actually facilitate these students. A good few times we've been given assignments where the importance of us completing them ourselves have been stressed.

Only for the due date to be extended multiple times due to complaints by the very students you describe. And with two days to go the lecturer does a full work through of the assignment in a lab. So they never learn the skill of googling technical problems or spending hours working out a problem themselves.

Unfortunately, I think lecturers actually facilitate these students. A good few times we've been given assignments where the importance of us completing them ourselves have been stressed.

Only for the due date to be extended multiple times due to complaints by the very students you describe. And with two days to go the lecturer does a full work through of the assignment in a lab. So they never learn the skill of googling technical problems or spending hours working out a problem themselves.

To be fair, there's a lot of that kind of hand holding going on here too.

• Advertisement

We've never had dates moved for them but they normally will be in a mad panic the day before they are due and the standard will be shocking as they have no clue what is required.

Part of the issue is though the lecturers enable them because there is software installed that from the lecturers pc they can lock student pcs or display whats on their screen to all students. None of them use it though except to monitor what your doing during tests.

Advertisement