Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's selective commenting feature

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Some articles on RTE users can post comments on, others you can't. I still haven't figured out what method they use to decide if an article can be commented on only that if its about a court case its nearly always disabled.

Today there was a post on the dreaded household charge and comments disabled unlike nearly all the previous articles about it so I'm starting to think they were just getting sick of the barrage of negative comments those articles attract and turned it off.

At the start I think they were very cautious with what sort of articles you could post comments on and most you couldn't but they slowly started to open up more but maybe the trend is reversing again after they have attracted so many 'haters'?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Comments disabled on this article:

http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/1112/glitter.html

Reckon they're closet Glitter fans.

Also - f*cking hell! Glitter was sentenced in 1999 and comedians are still making sh*t jokes about him 13 years later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ah RTÉ, a fine government approved news station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

After getting their bollocks sued off are you surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

BBC don't allow commenting on news stories on their site. I think they may have a separate "Have your say" section on certain selected topics though, heavily moderated no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Comments disabled on this article:

http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/1112/glitter.html

Reckon they're closet Glitter fans.

There were no comments on that site in 1999 so I wouldn't have expected them to retroactively enable them. If a fella's in trouble they're never enabled it seems.

Who was sueing them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Why don't you email the editor to find out? You'd be better asking there than here.

eth0 wrote: »
    There were no comments on that site in 1999 so I wouldn't have expected them to retroactively enable them.

Yeah I was linking to that story as a joke because I knew that. Sure there were no web 2.0 back then.

Yeah I was linking to that story as a joke because I knew that. Sure there were no web 2.0 back then.

maybe there was a [URL]gopher://rte.ie[/URL]. or at least there should have been (and they should bring it back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Because it descends into a rabble of the misinformed public. RTE as does the BBC have a reputation to maintain as a responsible and truthful news gathering organisation. News gathering and news analysis is an expensive business, these organisations are also answerable to the public and the people they cover.

So RTE can't afford to employ a moderator for every story they publish online.

maybe there was a [URL]gopher://rte.ie[/URL]. or at least there should have been (and they should bring it back)

You've lost me.

• Advertisement

You've lost me.

never heard of gopher (protocol). Old school text and folders with files type of browsing? I remember using this in the good old days with a 14k modem and still use it the odd time now for the laugh

never heard of gopher (protocol). Old school text and folders with files type of browsing? I remember using this in the good old days with a 14k modem and still use it the odd time now for the laugh

Gordon created it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

RTE is an excellent service provider. It's the voice of a nation & a champion of free speech.

I agree.

Advertisement