Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Book on The French Revolution and one on Robspierre

Options
  • 20-08-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I can't recommend a good introductory work to the entire period but on Ruth Scurr's 'Fatal Purity' is an excellent biography of Robespierre. You might also want to check out David Andress' 'The Terror', which does an excellent job of putting the Revolution into the context of the social civil war that engulfed France in those years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ruth Scurr's 'Fatal Purity' ++.
    Also Belloc's French Revolution. A tad dated but very well written.
    I've not read his writing on the Revolution, but Alistair Horne is generally well regarded on French History.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Great stuff, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Interesting character Robspierre. I'm sure the guys who have read up on him know a lot more than me but I believe he may have had a nervous break down due to the pressure of the revolution and hence that may explain some of his bloodier directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Mark Steel wrote a great book on the French Revolution. Think it was called 'Vive La Revolution.' From what I can remember it was quite funny as well as being a great history book. All from an author that is primarily a comedian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

These books are fairly ancient, but great fun to read--Claude Manceron's "Twilight of the Old Order" and "Wind from America". The writing is snarky and entertaining, but they're also good history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

|Didn't Robspierre eventually go insane & think he was a God?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

From what I can remember of my history, he was pretty high on power. I don't know if he went clinically insane, but he certainly acquired a taste for blood like wayward revolutionaries sometimes do. He got his just desserts in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No. Robespierre, like many successful revolutionaries, was part of a ruling coalition that was largely unscrupulous in its means, while holding to fairly idealistic aims. Like many successful revolutionaries, this contradiction (which falls outside the white/black hat dichotomy) is too nuanced for pop history, which invariably portrays such people as power-mad megalomaniacs.

(With regards God, you may be thinking of his pet project, the Cult of the Supreme Being)

Advertisement