Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucifix conflict splits Kerry county council

Options
  • 16-04-2014 10:54am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A resolution by councillors in Kerry to erect a crucifix on their new chamber, which is set to open after Easter, is unlikely to be carried through because of a conflict with equality legislation, it has emerged.

The crucifix would mark a new departure for the council in Kerry which has hitherto eschewed all religious symbols, a meeting of the council was told this week.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/crucifix-conflict-splits-kerry-county-council-1.1763742

break out the popcorn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/crucifix-conflict-splits-kerry-county-council-1.1763742

This is my favourite bit
    "he had consulted the local imam and people of the Muslim religion had no objection to the crucifix, he also said"

Looks like it won't be erected but thought it was interesting non the less

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

So they were told by Council management that it was more than likely illegal, but they went ahead and had a debate and a vote on it? Seems like a waste of time and resources when there are way more important issues to tackle.

Then again, only a third of the councillors actually showed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Crucifix thread in A&A splits forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The ff councillor who proposed the motion was on Pat Kenny. He says he has no choice but to evangelise as part of being Christian. Imaginary friend is piling on the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

So much fail in one article.
    However councillors said they were tired of apologising for their religion and one councillor suggested the erection of the cross might even encourage truth telling in the Kerry chamber.
    If you are such a terrible liar that you need to be faced with a physical reminder of your God to tell the truth, you should not be a politician serving the public.
    Mr Culloty, who was co-opted onto the council at the election of the former Fianna Fáil member and now Independent TD for Kerry South Tom Fleming, said he was anxious that the Christian Faith of the majority of people be reflected in the new council chamber.
    Why? It reeks of some weird insecurity and a disregard for those who are not Christian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Kerry councillors in being thick fuckers shocker.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

am not surprised

This from the county that creates fools that think its ok to drink and drive,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

He's a Fianna Fáil counsellor. I've emailed that party to ask its opinion in the light of the forthcoming election. It would be a positive thing if other posters here did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Banbh wrote: »
    He's a Fianna Fáil counsellor. I've emailed that party to ask its opinion in the light of the forthcoming election. It would be a positive thing if other posters here did the same.

I'm still waiting on FF Tds and senators to clarify their position on abortion. Don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cabaal wrote: »
    am not surprised

You didn't read the full by-law...

Drinking driving is only allowed with Crucifix dangling from mirror.

The local Iman had an issue with the drink but not crucifix when they ran it by him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

They're really taking cues from murrica with the rhetoric. Who's asking them to apologize for their religion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Crucifix thread in A&A splits forum!
    my thread is the One True Thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Both threads are now the One True Thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ford2600 wrote: »

HeadLights will guide you home
    And ignite your bones
    And I will try to Crucifix you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

robindch wrote: »
    Both threads are now the One True Thread!
    same-issue threads coming together? An unnatural union if ever I saw one. :(

Slightly on topic, do they start sessions with a prayer down that way as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Call me cynical but this seems more a case of a councilor who is up for re-election shortly finding an easy way to get publicity while at the same time pandering to the majority of his constituents, while being safe in the knowledge that his proposal would never actually happen due to equality legislation...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BlVm86aCMAAavun.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Hey

The bible states that a true joining of threads shall only be between male and female threads. This abomination will not be tolerated:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Don't forgot this is the same county council that wanted to issue permits for drink driving. And where councillors believe tax payers should maintain roads to an brilliant standard even through they are basically drive ways because people in Dublin have public transport.

A cross is the least of our worries from the geniuses in Kerry coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Banbh wrote: »

I don't live in Kerry, but I don't ever see any point in engaging any representative of the eFFers for any reason. I've never voted for them; never will.

P.S. It might be fun to ask anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

ford2600 wrote: »

The local Iman had an issue with the drink but not crucifix when they ran it by over him

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

“Where does religion come into pothole filling?” Cllr Ferris asked.
    Sums up the situation, and the role of a rural councillor in one sentence.
    Very well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

am not surprised

The county also creates perfectly nice people, just so you know.

Would you be ok with me saying whatever place your from is the county that creates generalising pricks? :rolleyes:

keane2097 wrote: »
    The county also creates perfectly nice people, just so you know.

Would you be ok with me saying whatever place your from is the county that creates generalising pricks? :rolleyes:

My issue is more the fact that these idiots keep being re-elected, thats concerning as the locals are involved in that

My issue is more the fact that these idiots keep being re-elected, thats concerning as the locals are involved in that

So, just to clarify, you're grand with content of the original comment you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the council management have no problem with the prayer said before every meeting though do they?

the council management have no problem with the prayer said before every meeting though do they?

It's been a matter for debate in the past alright.

Just to note that this is the same county that creates fools that think marriage equality is something to be aspired to.

http://www.marriagequality.ie/news/2013/02/18/kerry-county-council-votes-in-favour-of-marriage-equality/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

“Where does religion come into pothole filling?” Cllr Ferris asked.
    Whoever digs a hole and scoops it out
    falls into the pit they have made.

-Psalm 7

keane2097 wrote: »
    So, just to clarify, you're grand with content of the original comment you made?

What I stated was factual correct, the fact that you have decided that I'm somehow labeling everyone in the county as pro-drink driving is your mistake I'm afraid.

If the comment bothers you so much then in fairness don't read it, :)

• Advertisement

What I stated was factual correct, the fact that you have decided that I'm somehow labeling everyone in the county as pro-drink driving is your mistake I'm afraid.

If the comment bothers you so much then in fairness don't read it, :)

Right, and I'm supposed to know the comment is ignorant before I read it of course.

It's grand anyway, I'll know to avoid your posts in future considering the level of discourse you seem happy to aspire to. Standards are usually higher in this forum from what I've read in the past happily.

Advertisement