Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dole for students

• 13-04-2011 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm finishing up my final year of a psychology degree on the 6th of May. Will i be able to sign on if i get a letter from the college guaranteeing the end of my studies? I know you have to actively seek employment but there are literally no jobs where I am living, and I live away from my home house. I have also accepted a position as a researcher in my college for the summer but this is unpaid. Does anyone know if I'm entitled to anything and if so what would that be? I'd really appreciate any info on this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you have the letter from the college confirming that your studies are at an end, there is no automatic disqualification from Jobseekers Allowance, although you still have to meet the genuinely seeking and available for full-time employment criteria.

Your research position may give you problems. You need to be able to persuade them that you are actually looking for a full-time job and that if you got a job that you would take it. If your position as a researcher involves giving a commitment to remain in that position for a certain time, then you may not be considered to be genuinely available for work. The question will be, what would you do if you got a job? If you can say that you would drop the research position (and if they believe you!) then you could still meet the criteria. It will depend on the attitude of the officer deciding your case. You should certainly apply, the worst they could say is no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 manyoo

Thanks so much for the swift reply and great advice! I'll try my luck with it seeing as I could maybe hold down a part-time job alongside the research position, if one comes up somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

You should apply for any position even vaguely relevant to you, so that you have some evidence that you have been actively seeking employment.

Advertisement