Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

There is one swan in the field in front of our house. It has been there for the last week. It is in the middle of the field, with no shelter and no sign of any nest. Is this unusual? I thought there would always be two swans together. I'm a bit worried that it might be ill.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Is there water in the field?

Are there power lines that it may have collided with?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

The field is next to a river, but there are no powerlines overhead. I googled it and it is a male swan. He doesn't look sick or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you approached the Swan to check if it is okay? It won't attack you or anything! Worth checking it out if it is staying in the middle of a field all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is it is the one spot the whole time or does it potter about coming and going?

If in the one spot the whole time it may be caught in a snare or could be injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

The swan is walking around ok. Doesnt seem to be injured or anything. Went for a swim yesterday and then went back to the middle of the field, very wierd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It may just be young'un that was lately sent off into the wide world :p!

Keep an eye on it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

It won't attack you or anything!
    I always laugh when I hear people warning not to approach swans because they can break your limbs with a bite if they wanted to! I wonder where that story even came from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The swan is walking around ok. Doesnt seem to be injured or anything. Went for a swim yesterday and then went back to the middle of the field, very wierd.

Sounds perfectly normal. Swans feed on grass in fields quite regularly at this time of year.

Advertisement