Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albino Pheasant

Options
  • 14-01-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Out walking around today, I saw an albino pheasant, crouched down still in the field no more than 5 m from me.
    I was so amazed, I didn't get my camera out before he flew away, so apologies for that. Anyone ever seen one ?
    Also, searching for images on the internet, I found a few from the UK, but they all had red patches on the face, or as a minimum red/pink eye shadow. This brid I saw had no red / pink whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

They are common enough, but tend to usually be a little small, unless you see a thouroughbred Scandanavian white.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

A little smaller than usual, yes, but not terribly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Quite common among captive bred birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UltimateMale

marlin vs wrote: »
    They are common enough, but tend to usually be a little small, unless you see a thouroughbred Scandanavian white.
    Interesting, never seen one myself. Is been Albino common throughout birds or animals ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Interesting, never seen one myself. Is been Albino common throughout birds or animals ?

Someone more knowledgable may be able to say for definite but I think i may have to do with inbreeding or it may be a genetic mutation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Partial albinoism is not unusual in blackbirds (at least the male ones - they are black) and jackdaws. Patches of white on face, wings etc. Actualy saw partially albino male blackbird today. I have also seen a brown rook - not sure what that mixup is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UltimateMale

fontanalis wrote: »
    Someone more knowledgable may be able to say for definite but I think i may have to do with inbreeding or it may be a genetic mutation.
    Probably inbreeding would be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Saw one of these today, I thought it was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭greylag

Connacht wrote: »
    Out walking around today, I saw an albino pheasant, crouched down still in the field no more than 5 m from me.
    I was so amazed, I didn't get my camera out before he flew away, so apologies for that. Anyone ever seen one ?
    Also, searching for images on the internet, I found a few from the UK, but they all had red patches on the face, or as a minimum red/pink eye shadow. This brid I saw had no red / pink whatsoever.

probably a hen bird you saw. they would have very little red around the eyes compared with a cock.

Advertisement