Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple launches 2014 Back to School promotion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

*le sigh*

The leaks were true. Macbook Pros updated:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/29/updated-retina-macbook-pro-faster-haswell-more-ram/

Slight CPU increase, NO NEW GPU, and a slight price drop.

I am not happy at all. I NEED a new MBP asap but I cannot in all honesty drop €3000 on a top spec machine that has last years GPU. Ugh. What to do! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Mid tier 13" still the same price, which is a joke.

It cost €200 to upgrade from the entry level 4/126 and now it's still €200 to go from 8/126 to a 256SSD.

You'd be better off buying the 2013 model, I'm sure it's gonna get a few discounts on amazon and the like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hey everyone I'm a potential first time mac buyer with a quick question about the education pricing. How is it verified that I'm a student? I just finished my undergrad and start my masters in a few weeks so I'm not trying to get around the system or anything!

Hey everyone I'm a potential first time mac buyer with a quick question about the education pricing. How is it verified that I'm a student? I just finished my undergrad and start my masters in a few weeks so I'm not trying to get around the system or anything!

I could be wrong, but if it's anything like other student discounts, it'll prompt a portal to your college were you'll have to login in, once that's successful, they'll know it's a genuine student account and way you go.

Use the link on www.campus.ie - this links to your college and gives you a greater edu discount than just buying from the education store direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I just got ordered one on Wednesday through the education store on apple.ie. It didn't prompt me for a college login or anything like that. In fact, the price I was quoted in the end was slightly less than that advertised on the page. Pro 13" retina for 1252 instead of the advertised 1268. The €70 voucher was emailed the next day, but as said somewhere above it's for the apple store, not the app store. I used it for an external hard drive. Neither purchase had post and packaging charges. That's all I know.

Am really looking forward to getting my first mac! But it's killing me knowing it's sitting in a warehouse half an hour's drive away and I won't see it till Monday.

Elessar wrote: »
    Use the link on www.campus.ie - this links to your college and gives you a greater edu discount than just buying from the education store direct.

Can't get into that on my phone, but is that price for the 128GB retina MBP, or the non-retina?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Can't get into that on my phone, but is that price for the 128GB retina MBP, or the non-retina?

Not sure what you mean? Use this link: http://campus.ie/discount/apple-discount-for-students%20

Posting this from my new 2.8Ghz MBPr - without a doubt, it's incredible. Blazing fast, I did a comparison encode between this and my 4.4Ghz over clocked Ivy Bridge PC and the MBP is a hair faster! I'm stunned! The display is incredible and it's unbelievably thin. Looking at my 2010 MBP I can't believe how awful it is in comparison! Glad I took the plunge now :)

EDIT: The speakers are really really good, and loud!
    EDIT2: I'm now getting 16-19 MB/s downloads from my wireless N router, it was capped at 11-12 MB/s on the old MBP. I love this machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Went ahead and ordered a 27" iMac. About 180 euro cheaper through the education link and also you get the 70 euro voucher

They don't ask for any sort of proof at all.

It's already shipped from The Netherlands. I assumed it was in a warehouse in Cork :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Went ahead and ordered a 27" iMac. About 180 euro cheaper through the education link and also you get the 70 euro voucher

They don't ask for any sort of proof at all.

It's already shipped from The Netherlands. I assumed it was in a warehouse in Cork :)

Cork only makes the configure-to-order iMacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

boreder wrote: »
    Cork only makes the configure-to-order iMacs.

Is that the same for MBP? Mine looks like it'll dispatch tomorrow. Hopefully from Cork then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

BTO MacBooks usually ship from Asia. Nothing ships to or from Cork, which these days is mainly for Apple's accounting gymnastics. Whatever iMac assembly they do there is very limited. Probably putting stuff in boxes or something. Their real European HQ is in London.

I wouldn't say that. There's 3000 people employed in the cork offices. I think as part of the deal with the IDA they have to do some manufacturing there aswell.

Anyway my custome MBP shipped from China. Shipped on a Saturday and was in my hands on the Monday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Elessar wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. There's 3000 people employed in the cork offices. I think as part of the deal with the IDA they have to do some manufacturing there aswell.

Figured as much. Whatever manufacturing happens it's the bare minimum. Agency workers and the like.

Cork is their financial operations centre. If you had say a PR related query, they'd refer you to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

BTO MacBooks usually ship from Asia. Nothing ships to or from Cork, which these days is mainly for Apple's accounting gymnastics. Whatever iMac assembly they do there is very limited. Probably putting stuff in boxes or something. Their real European HQ is in London.
    Yup. Mine is in transit from China at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

No, every non-standard iMac for this part of the world comes from Cork. They ship to UK distribution centre, and then make their way around the world, even if they are for Irish customers. The factory in Cork is run 24/7, 363 days a year.

The London offices are mostly for marketing, IT and publishing. The real Euro HQ, is in fact, Cork. It's their largest corporate office outside of the US, employing over 4,000 people.

They had a link about it on the UK site a few weeks ago.

What about contact centre functions, or has that mostly been moved elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anytime I've phoned Apple for support I've gotten through to Texas

When I bought my last mac and I was sending a bank draft through the post (very old fashioned I know) I dealt with a payments/finance team in Cork

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What about contact centre functions, or has that mostly been moved elsewhere?

contact center exists in cork but they also have a large amount of work from home operators dealing with contacts for them,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

They have some follow the sun software support, but from what I know this is a minimum presence.

Advertisement