Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford to take a job?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Just got an e-mail about an interview for Friday so fingers crossed :)

The system is flawed beyond belief, I lost my job in December and am currently on JB of €188. I have looked for jobs in my field and they are few and far between and about 25% less than the salary I was on.

I have also set myself a time frame of maximum a year to find the right job or start my own business. I don't feel guilty for taking the JB as I paid enough tax in the past 19 years but when it comes to being assessed I know I won't be eligible for much based on my circumstances.

I have applied for about 15 jobs, had 2 interviews with no success. To be honest, like the OP I have begun to enjoy the time off, spending more time with my family. I am looking at doing a night course, have lost weight, walk frequently, no longer suffer from work related stress or the frequent insomnia that used to plague me. I don't feel guilty about getting money from the state but feel strangely guilty about enjoying my life outside the rat race.

There is a fine line for families between living to work and working to live, on the flip side the many many benefits enjoyed by the unemployed have been exploited by a certain sector of society. The OP doesn't fall into this category but some of the posts have tried to categories him as such.

You can see where I am coming from. Thanks for the comment. I do feel guilty as well about being happier and healthier since I lost my lob in a strange kind of way. That does contribute to me not jumping at the job unless there is going to be an increase in my familys standard of living. Just being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

The other reality about high salaries, is that people in jobs accumulate increases over time to earn way above the going rate for the market.

So the market rate for your job could me much lower than €100k

Dubal

dubal wrote: »
    The other reality about high salaries, is that people in jobs accumulate increases over time to earn way above the going rate for the market.

So the market rate for your job could me much lower than €100k

Dubal

That is true. I have factored in a 25% drop so far (up to 35% drop even tbh). 50% is a bit much but I could even live with that if I was going to be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

eco2live wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from but the point I am making is that you should be better off for your 30k then you are. Its not the employers fault. Its the environment we live in that was put there by politicians and bankers. Ireland is a crazy place.

I am not a communist and I don't think that every one should be as well off as each other regardless of their skills or education. If one person takes steps to better themselves then they should be better off. Thats how it is in other country's. Otherwise I would be be very happy in my perfect job and earning 15k a year. I do believe that there is a certain poverty threshold that people should not be allowed to drop below. It should not come in above the average wage though in fairness.

Its not that I turned my nose up at 50k. Its that I did not take it as I would have not been any better off. After the shed load of tax I have paid over the years is it wrong to accept job seekers while seeking a job?

In answer to your question, there is nothing wrong with accepting jobseekers while seeking a job. There is a problem with accepting it when you have found a job and not taken it.

Unavailable for work

You can be regarded as not being available for work and not entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit, if you put unreasonable restrictions on the following:

* The nature of the employment
    * The hours of work
    * Rate of pay
    * The duration of the employment
    * The location of the employment.

In any case where a Deciding Officer is of the opinion that you have placed unreasonable restrictions, you will be interviewed and given the opportunity to respond.

http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/social-welfare-payments/unemployed-people/unemployment_benefit/

• Advertisement

Balagan wrote: »
    [/B]

In answer to your question, there is nothing wrong with accepting jobseekers while seeking a job. There is a problem with accepting it when you have found a job and not taken it.

Unavailable for work

You can be regarded as not being available for work and not entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit, if you put unreasonable restrictions on the following:

* The nature of the employment
    * The hours of work
    * Rate of pay
    * The duration of the employment
    * The location of the employment.

In any case where a Deciding Officer is of the opinion that you have placed unreasonable restrictions, you will be interviewed and given the opportunity to respond.

http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/social-welfare-payments/unemployed-people/unemployment_benefit/

I did not do any of the above. I have realistic expectations that are shared by employment agency's and HR professionals.

I see what you mean above but for a lot of management jobs they state a criteria including education and experience etc. They will state a competitive salary based on experience. They offered me the highest that they had in their budget for a manager. That information was not available until offer stage in this case. What was I supposed to do? Take whatever is offered? Its considered poor tactics to ask about the salary straight away. As I have said I am not talking about the amount I was offered. Thats what that employer was able to pay.

My point is that in Ireland you are as well off on the dole as in a 50k job if you are married with 2 children if both spouses are not working. Now I am in a position that I should in the end get more then this but I despair for this country when that is the entry point that it is worth peoples while to work. Most non professionals and a lot of professionals would be happy to get this amount. Both partners now have to work and if you have children and especially a child with special needs then I can understand it must be very difficult for people. The idea of my post was to raise this issue with people. The more people know the better chance of demanding change.

I will not be on the dole long term no matter what the circumstances and I am not avoiding work. Just highlighting the plight of the working poor. I never knew it was this hard on working people until I lost my job and I began to see the amount of entitlements people get on JS vs people on the minimum wage or lower paid workers. Hence the title of the post. Can you afford to take a job?

Another aspect of this is housing. To get rent allowance I was put on the housing list. They told me that it could take 3 to 5 years to get a house in my area. I won't avail of this but if I was to choose the permanent dole route I would probably be in a better position to get a house(sooner). I can see it now. I become one of the working poor while ghost estates with houses that I would not be able to afford are given out for free.

Its just not fair on average worker in Ireland. This discussion was never intended to be a discussion about staying on the dole and avoiding work. I broke it down because 50k is not a bad wage and I was surprised when I totaled up my current income from the state vs that salary how it all played out. No wonder we are in the situation we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Focal

How could you turn down an income of 50K. We are family of 4 and only earn around 26K a year. Our outgoings are huge. My partner works long hours for bad money.

I really hope welfares rates will be reduced cause making people LAZY and expecting tax payers to pay for them.

I think its awful people who work are less well off than LAYABOUTS on welfare.

Focal wrote: »
    How could you turn down an income of 50K. We are family of 4 and only earn around 26K a year. Our outgoings are huge. My partner works long hours for bad money.

I really hope welfares rates will be reduced cause making people LAZY and expecting tax payers to pay for them.

I think its awful people who work are less well off than LAYABOUTS on welfare.

I am far from lazy. I appreciate that it is a little insensitive in the current climate to people who are working hard for less to state that I turned down a 50k job. I never realised how close to poverty working people in Ireland are until I was let go. Who knows what the future will bring for us all.

I have never been out of work in my life until now. If you read my post you would see that. I will be working soon hopefully and will be paying plenty of tax (as I always have). I paid about 40k in tax in 2010 alone. I am from a working class background and did all of my 10 years of studying at night whilst working full time and I paid for all of it myself. Hardly the actions of a lazy person.

My point was never about how much people get paid in work but the standard of living for working people like your family in Ireland. I agree that you and your family should be better off then people who are not working. That was my point in the first place. I also agree that some people take advantage of the system as you say. No wonder they do when things are as I have laid out.

I don't agree that people should take any job just because they where offered it on the basis that others are worse off. Do people and their skills and experience not have any value any more? Should everyone be paid the same in all jobs? They tried that in Russia and look how that went.

People who work should be better off then people who don't work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Focal banned for a week for calling welfare recipients Layabouts. This is against forum charter.

I have been reflecting on this and it seems to me that the problem is also the solution in a way. Everyone needs to earn less to bring down the cost of living but none of us want to be the ones to earn less.

The next job I am offered I will take to do my part even if I have to take a hit. Middle and higher earners along with social welfare recipients, vested interests in the public and private sector all need to take a hit to reduce the cost of living. The government needs to get their house in order from a value for money and waste perspective and quickly.

The standard of living is not fair but we are probably in a period of correction all round in the economy. Wages will have to come in line with Europe if we are to receive funding from the EU/IMF. They are not going to fund us when our professionals and SW recipients are paid twice as much as theirs. I just hope that this government takes on the vested interests in Ireland and bring about fairness from a standard of living perspective for the working family.

Interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed. This discussion has been a humbling one in some ways for me. I was a little bitter having lost my job after all my effort but its time to get back on the horse and do my bit for Ireland like I always have. I will try and get better employment whilst already working.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion for their feedback, support and criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Can you still receive state benefits if you have turned down a job?

How many animals did Moses take on the arc?

It depends on the job and if people would bother to tell them that they have turned down said job.

I have said all I am going to say on this in fairness. I have explained it to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Could your wife find work? If you took the 50k job and your wife was to work part-time then your family income would rise accordingly.

Alternatively have you looked at what benefits you might be entitled to when you start work. You will be allowed to keep your medical cards for at least a year I think and you may be entitled to other benefits too.

greendom wrote: »
    Could your wife find work? If you took the 50k job and your wife was to work part-time then your family income would rise accordingly.

Alternatively have you looked at what benefits you might be entitled to when you start work. You will be allowed to keep your medical cards for at least a year I think and you may be entitled to other benefits too.

You are dead right there. If my wife was working it would make a huge difference. Our problem is that my daughter has special needs so it is not practical for my wife to work. On the medical card thing i was told that as I only just got it if I took work at the value I stated I would lose it.

I suppose that both partners now have to work and employers are having to compete with the state as by taking a job you are giving up both yours and your spouse welfare payments. I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

I have come round to be honest in taking a bit of the hit if need be to get back to work if I am lucky enough to be offered another job. I hope others are willing to do the same. What about all the people who can only expect 20 to 30k and only one partner is working. They have no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

On the issue of the medical card, if your daughter has special needs and you have to regularly buy medication for her, she may be entitled to a medical card of her own. A friend of mine has a child with special needs and epilepsy. Both her and her husband work and probably earn about 75K between them and the child has his own medical card. You should speak to your dauhter's GP who should write a letter backing up any claim for a medical card for your daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I despair when I read about these situations , no wonder the country is f**ked, nearly half a million unemployed and 2 million working , unless there is dramatic action pretty soon the state wont be able to pay any welfare at all.
    Is it not time to consider the likes of food vouchers negociated with the major supermarket, and to start job centres like they have in the UK,(unemployed have to show up and look for jobs , websites , newspaper provided by the state).
    I dont label people and know that most people want to work and its unfair to the unemployed to be kept in a poverty trap because they better off on welfare, drastic action needs to be taken or we'll all be emirgrating.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/workers-turn-down-euro28000-job-because-they-get-more-on-dole-2573644.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

rasper wrote: »
    I despair when I read about these situations , no wonder the country is f**ked, nearly half a million unemployed and 2 million working , unless there is dramatic action pretty soon the state wont be able to pay any welfare at all.
    Is it not time to consider the likes of food vouchers negociated with the major supermarket, and to start job centres like they have in the UK,(unemployed have to show up and look for jobs , websites , newspaper provided by the state).
    I dont label people and know that most people want to work and its unfair to the unemployed to be kept in a poverty trap because they better off on welfare, drastic action needs to be taken or we'll all be emirgrating.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/workers-turn-down-euro28000-job-because-they-get-more-on-dole-2573644.html

I agree with you.
    I'm unemployed 3 months and while I don't miss the stress of my job, I miss so many other aspects of it. The satisfaction and sense of achievement when things go well, the cameraderie with co-workers and of course the freedom of having a decent salary.

I would like to see long term unemployed work in the community in exchange for their social welfare, plenty of opportunities to work alongside nursing assistants, admin assistants in HSE, care workers, council workers. I wouldn't expect them to work a full working week as their social welfare wouldn't cover the minimum wage but at least do somethingfor the JA they would have received over the years.

It would cut out fraud, give long term unemployed a chance to get into the routine of working and give them a sense of confidence as I can only imagine how despondent it must be being unemployed long term.
    It would also relieve the pressure in some public departments if there were extra staffing to do some of the work that seems to clog up the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

eco2live wrote: »
    Just got an e-mail about an interview for Friday so fingers crossed :)

Hope that goes well for you. Having read the thread and seen the effort you put in in the past to get you masters etc. you are right to try and get a job you feel you are worth. Plus you have paid a lot of tax in your time too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

I know a few in the same boat as yourself but with 2k a month mortgages ,same thing they're better off not working
    Where's the incentive
    This government has to do something and fast
    You deserve a break from the fast lane every 16 years or so
    Try enjoy it and don't feel bad about taking what you deserve and have paid for yourself over the years in taxes
    Your the ambitious type that will get the country up and running again

Hope it goes well for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

anyone sense the problem is not the basic rate of social welfare but the extras such as R.allowance, medical cards, etc. How are these going to be tackled? Btw, the OP is committing social welfare fraud by refusing a job.

dabestman1 wrote: »
    anyone sense the problem is not the basic rate of social welfare but the extras such as R.allowance, medical cards, etc. How are these going to be tackled? Btw, the OP is committing social welfare fraud by refusing a job.

I have not and never will commit fraud :mad: . Qualifications and experience have a value. I am at second stage on another interview that if I get it will contribute a lot more to Ireland as (Like I always have).

When you take a job you are making a commitment to an employer, especially as a manager. You cant just take a job for a few weeks while looking for something else. That is dishonest and will damage your own reputation as well as the company that you went to work for. I am entitled to welfare while seeking employment due to my contribution over the past 18 years. I have never been out of work before and have only been out for a few weeks. I was highlighting how hard it is for working people as I am going to be one again soon and have seen both sides now for the first time.

Fraud :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

50k - Nobody should get paid more than 50k a year unless they are saving lives. i cant believe you would turn down a 50k a year job to stay on benefits. another example of whats rotting about our social welfare system. If you take the job you can look around for something new and it will look better that you worked rather than claimed benefits.
    snip----

50k - Nobody should get paid more than 50k a year unless they are saving lives. i cant believe you would turn down a 50k a year job to stay on benefits. another example of whats rotting about our social welfare system. If you take the job you can look around for something new and it will look better that you worked rather than claimed benefits.
    snip----

So only Doctors should earn 50k+? We in cuba now? Maybe we should get paid in vouchers. Lets forget university and starting businesses and all that lark.

My situation is a temporary situation and I will have a job soon. I turned down a 50k job for a 75k job but that does not have the same ring to it. Not nearly as interesting and makes a lot more sense if you look at it that way. My point was in the first place what about the people who can't expect to earn more? The average working person in Ireland should be better off working than on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I trust the original poster wont be a long term burden on the tax payer but whatever about the unemployed person recieving only €188 a week, but anyone claiming over the minimum wage from the state including RA and medical card etc should be targeted by the SW for assistance to encourage them into the workplace.
    Easy to say now of course coz there are no jobs , just another example of the mismanagement of our economy that this poverty trap was aallowed to fester for so llong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happyblue

My sister works in Social Welfare and sees this all the time. She is middle management on 35k a year - talk about stressed out and not making ends meet. She would be delighted with 50k a year - could you post on the details of the job?

Advertisement