Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crossborder/frontier working claiming unemployment benefit

• 29-10-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

As a crossborder worker (live in Donegal but work in Derry) who is possibly going to be made redundant wondering has anyone claimed unemployment benefit (stamps) in the south, had a look at socialwelfare.ie and think they saying that UK contributions taken into account but that last stamp paid has to be in South? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,307 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from Donegal to State Benefits forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sweetp

I don't know the requirements, but last year I was signing on, then moved to UK and paid stamps there for 10 months. I had no problem signing on when I came back. They told me my NI payments could be transferred back and gave me a form to fill out.
    I was approved before I returned the form, based on previous payments. I returned the form anyway, but never heard any more about the NI payments.
    They led me to believe that the UK payments were equal to the Irish ones, so i would guess he might take a bit longer to process, but should be approved (and back paid to the date of application). I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katemc

thanks sweetp, just trying to understand the system as I a find that this whole crossborder thing seems to confuse government depts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

For JB you claim in the country you are resident in e.g. The Republic. If you call into your local social welfare office they won't be confused. All the border area SWLOs are well used to dealing with cross border cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Sorry, maybe a little off topic but can anyone advise on Childrens Allowance and medical cards for a child.

Both myself and my wife workin in NI, but reside in Republic of Ireland. We both have medical cards in NI. Will our child we eligible for a medical card in NI or Republic and who will pay our childrens allowance.

I have search the government sites and found some useful information on the Cross Border worker site, but nothing conclusive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

From borderpeople website:

Generally, frontier workers are entitled to access health services both where they live and where they work. Therefore a frontier worker living in the Republic of Ireland will be entitled to access health services on either side of the border. However this right does not extend to dependants who are only covered under the legislation of the state in which they reside. In the Republic of Ireland, under EU Regulations, frontier workers and their dependents are automatically entitled to an Irish medical card without a means test provided they don’t have any additional income in the Republic. However, if the spouse is employed or self-employed in the Republic of Ireland or in receipt of an Irish Social Security payment they loose their automatic entitlement to this card and are subject to a means test where both their income and the income of the frontier worker are assessed and taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/working_abroad/working_in_the_eu.html

You are a cross-border (or frontier) worker if you live in one EU country but work in another and you go home at least once a week. As a cross-border worker, you must be treated in the same way as an employee who is a national of the country of employment as regards the right to apply for jobs, working conditions and social benefits.
    Therefore, the general rule is that you pay social security contributions in the member state where you are employed and you are subject to the legislation of that state even if you live in another member state.
    With regard to benefits, generally you get short-term benefits from the state where you last paid insurance and long-term benefits proportionately from all the countries in which you paid insurance.
    For cross-border workers, the rule in relation to unemployment benefit is as follows:
    • During partial or intermittent unemployment you get your benefit from the country of employment
    • During periods of being wholly unemployed, you get your benefit from the country of residence.

Advertisement