Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible job offer and social welfare

Options
  • 11-04-2011 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Ok, so I only recieved my JSA about a week ago, but today thank god got a (possible) offer for a childminding job.
    Since it is an unofficial job, ie cash in hand and low wage, what happens if I tell social welfare? will this count as casual work or what happens?
    would appreciate any reply, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my understanding is that you are permitted to work 15-20hours a week and still get full benefits (be up front and tell social welfare and ask their advice on what happens next)

if you work more than the 15-20hours - your welfare money is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

To be eligible for casual JSA you can only be employed 3 days per week or 3 days and Sunday. Link below.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

yeah that's what I thought......the only problem with this is very low wage though, probably only earn the same as JSA, so it is complicated....but bored of doing nothing every day so, even so if I get offered I probably will accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Why do you say this is unofficial? It is only unofficial if you intend to defraud the system!!!!

If you are running a self-employed business as a child minder, then you can register as such with the Revenue and pay all applicable tax and PRSI. You must also tell the social welfare of your income, and would be entitled to keep your Jobseekers Allowance provided that your new self-employment does not exceed three days a week (four if one of those days is a Sunday). Any income that you make will be deducted from your claim.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    my understanding is that you are permitted to work 15-20hours a week and still get full benefits (be up front and tell social welfare and ask their advice on what happens next)

if you work more than the 15-20hours - your welfare money is reduced.

This is just wrong! Please ignore.

• Advertisement

Why do you say this is unofficial? It is only unofficial if you intend to defraud the system!!!!

If you are running a self-employed business as a child minder, then you can register as such with the Revenue and pay all applicable tax and PRSI. You must also tell the social welfare of your income, and would be entitled to keep your Jobseekers Benefit provided that your new self-employment does not exceed three days a week (four if one of those days is a Sunday).

Depending on the pattern of your work, you may be considered as a casual worker, if the work is of a casual nature then you will be a casual worker and lose 1/5 of your weekly Benefit claim for each day you work, or if it is more regular, then you will be considered to be a part-time worker and lose 1/6 of your claim for each day worked. This is subject to losing a maximum of 1/2 of your claim, subject of course to you remaining available for work on three days in the week.

Here are the rules as far as being considered to be a casual or part-time worker

I mean unofficial in the sense of not being taxed etc, not that I am planning to fraud the system, if that was the case why would I bother asking this question????????????

Thanks anyway I suppose the best thing is to ask them.

I mean unofficial in the sense of not being taxed etc, not that I am planning to fraud the system, if that was the case why would I bother asking this question????????????

Thanks anyway I suppose the best thing is to ask them.

If you are not planning on paying tax, then you are planning on defrauding the system!!!

As a self-employed child minder you would be responsible for payment of any tax due. You should get this sorted out before you go to the welfare office, or they may accuse of you something that you didn't intend to do! The last thing you need is the welfare officer reporting you to the Revenue.

Ah right, I was under the impression if you were earning a salary that low you didn't even count for tax, but I understand you yeah..
    So if that's the case, I just contact revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

This is just wrong! Please ignore.

which part is "just wrong" ...... that you can work 15-20hours a week (ie. 2/3 working days)

or that your welfare money is reduced if you work more than the allotted allowance ?
    (I dont understand - is my reason for asking - hence why I said ..."My understanding" at the start)

do you agree that she should inform the Social Welfare and ask their advice on the situation ?

which part is "just wrong" ...... that you can work 15-20hours a week (ie. 2/3 working days)

or that your welfare money is reduced if you work more than the allotted allowance ?
    (I dont understand - is my reason for asking - hence why I said ..."My understanding" at the start)

do you agree that she should inform the Social Welfare and ask their advice on the situation ?

There is no allotted allowance of hours you can work! You are allowed to work three days a week (regardless of whether you work 1 hour a day or 24 hours), but your claim will be reduced depending on your income no matter how many hours you work.

• Advertisement

Ah right, I was under the impression if you were earning a salary that low you didn't even count for tax, but I understand you yeah..
    So if that's the case, I just contact revenue?

You may be right and may not have to pay any tax (although you would most likely have to pay some Universal Social Charge). Yes it is just a matter of informing the Revenue (and indeed your local welfare office). I would avoid using terms like "unofficial" or "cash in hand" in any dealings with welfare, the Revenue (or on this forum :cool: )

You may be right and may not have to pay any tax (although you would most likely have to pay some Universal Social Charge). Yes it is just a matter of informing the Revenue (and indeed your local welfare office). I would avoid using terms like "unofficial" or "cash in hand" in any dealings with welfare, the Revenue (or on this forum :cool: )

haha ok, misunderstanding in that case :P
    thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

pcphoto here is the current stance taken by SW regarding work and jobseekers payments.
    http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-and-work/jobseekers-benefit-and-work/
    you can see now that your "understanding" of the system bore no relation to the reality. i think if you post on this forum when your not entirely sure of your facts you are putting yourself in line for a roasting :o, SW have very complicated rules and conditions and very little room for manouvere.speculation can lead to confusion and this gets posters hackles up. i do agree, though, that the OP would be best off getting advice straight from the Dept.

Advertisement