Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU multiplier issue

Options
  • 11-09-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, bit of a weird one here which i can't get my head around at all.

Basically when my pc starts up it's (usually) running at 9x multiplyer (2.88ghz). However after being idle a while it will drop to 6x (this is normal), however it won't return to 9x when put under load. I then have to reboot and hope that it returns to 9x which it doesn't always do.

I've disabled speed step and every power saving feature i can find in the BIOS but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What windows power scheme are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

It was on balanced, just changed it to high performance but hasn't changed a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Disable c1e and EIST in the bios
    C1E - Enhanced Halt State

"Whenever the OS executes the halt instruction, the CPU enters what is known as the halt state. Architecturally, what's going on in a halt state is the clock signal is shut off to the CPU for some period of time. With no clock signal, none of the logic in the chip will do anything and thus power consumption is reduced. Performance is also significantly reduced; however, the halt instruction isn't usually called during application usage, so the performance aspects of the halt state aren't very important.

The problem with the halt state is that it does nothing to reduce voltage, only current draw by stopping clocks from going to the CPU. Since Power varies linearly with both current and voltage (P = I * V), you're effectively only addressing half of the problem. The Enhanced Halt State, as Intel calls it, does two things: it reduces the clock speed of the CPU by decreasing the clock multiplier down to its minimum value (on the EE 965 series, that's 14x, or 2.8GHz), then reducing the voltage. The clock speed is reduced and then the voltage is dropped, to maintain stability.

Intel insists that the enhanced halt state is a significantly lower power state than the conventional halt state, thanks to the reduction in voltage in addition to the reduction in clock speed. While the standard halt state causes a linear reduction in power, Intel's enhanced halt state causes an exponential decrease in power, potentially offering better power savings than the standard halt state. The real world impact obviously depends on how idle your system happens to be."

EIST:

"What EIST does is very similar to AMD's Cool'n'Quiet. It is demand based reduction in CPU clock speed and voltage. Using the same mechanism of adjusting clock speed and voltage, based on the application demand, the processor will dynamically increase/decrease its clock speed between its minimum clock and its normal operating frequency, as well as voltage, in order to optimize for power consumption.

Because of the way EIST (and AMD's Cool'n'Quiet) works, there's inherently a drop in performance. The idea is this: if you're performing a task that's not using 100% of the CPU, the CPU will operate at a slightly reduced frequency in order to conserve power. So, while some tasks will require that the system run at full speed, others will run at lower speeds. "

Both are already disabled, this is why it's so weird that it keeps dropping to 6x.

Just rebooted and its sitting here happily now at 9x (only thing i changed is that i lay case flat instead of standing up :p ).

What utility are you using to see your multiplier and clock speed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It coudl be thermal throtteling. Whats the cpu temp running at ?

Yeah Manties that's what i thought originally but i figured it would run hotter before it would do that. Sits about 60 degrees when it's idle which i know is fairly hot but still well within limits. It also doesn't throttle to x6 if i'm in game which is when i figured thermal throttling would kick in, it seems to prefer to do it after a standy or a perdiod of low cpu usage.

Using cpuz to check it. This is however confirmed by fps in warhammer. When cpu is at x6 i get about 10-20fps. When at 9x it fps is at 30-40+ .

Another thing i noticed is that if its x6 before i reboot it will stay x6 after reboot unless i shut down and then restart after 5 seconds (semi cold boot).

Just checked again and it's currently jumping between x6 and x9 according to cpuz(jumps to x9 now whenever cpu goes above 20% usage, at least it's raising the multiplier now but speed step is disabled!). I even have it manually configured to x9 (which should totally disables the lowering of the multiplier).
    :confused:

Think Manties might be onto a winner. If i pick up the machine and put it upright the multiplier immediately drops to x6 and stays there. I lay it flat again and it jumps back to x9. Probably loose hsf or it's making bad contact with cpu when standing up (although it does feel fine).

I'll buy a new fan (meant to replace the stock cooler ages ago anyway) and see how it goes. Thanks for the help all.

60' idle is very hot, but it depends on how accurate this reading is, use CoreTemp to measure from the chip itself. It shouldn't go over 60' under load

• Advertisement

Ah yeah i know 60 is hot but it's been running like that for coming up on 2 years now so no worries. I checked and these chips are grand up to 90-100 degrees or something. Will shorten it's life from 10 years to 7 or something but that's no big deal really.

That said it looks like it's time to change the HSF so will get something decent.

Edit: 80 degrees @ 20% load, yikes. Guess we can confirm that that is indeed the problem. Thermaltake Typhoon ordered.

Not the best cooler tbh. But it will do fine :)

Shows you just how long ago since i bought this cpu. Was the one i'd planend to get at the time and was thought of as one of the better ones :p

If its a slightly older cpu you will be fine with it. Just not a huge ammount of headroom if you plan to overclock.

Advertisement