Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston Station - Lockers

Options
  • 19-09-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if their are currently luggage lockers in Heuston?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

No lockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What about at Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a Tipperary House B & B across the river from Heuston that has a left luggage service.

For Connolly, cross Amiens Street to the internet café who over a similar service.

What about at Connolly?

None but may be getting some soon.

Busarras has some but they all broken .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there used to be automated lockers at Connolly, don't know why they ripped them out.

• Advertisement

There used to be manned left luggage facilities at both terminals right through the 1980s...more progress. The one in Connolly handled the parcels traffic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

loyatemu wrote: »
    there used to be automated lockers at Connolly, don't know why they ripped them out.

They used the same sort of warped logic that lead to near universal car park charging at stations on the brink of the recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Isn't there lockers in that room near the toilets at Heuston?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

mystic86 wrote: »
    Isn't there lockers in that room near the toilets at Heuston?

No there are none in Heuston. The Tipperary House B & B now provides left luggage facilities.

loyatemu wrote: »

They were being used for drug drops etc.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Sounds a feeble excuse - should we stop the postal system too? :rolleyes:

I think mine has stopped already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IIRC they installed them (while revamping the station concourse), they sat there out-of-service for about 2 years, they turned them on for maybe 6 months, then ripped them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Absolutely pathetic, left luggage is such a basic facility to have at a railway station. Was caught out one time in Dublin expecting them at Connolly (they had signs for it and all!) - ended up using Busaras. Didn't have any bother with the Busaras ones myself in fairness.

The ones in Busaras are all broken. It makes sense these days not to have any at all for security reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

It makes sense these days not to have any at all for security reasons.

Sigh! So I suppose every single central station that I've been to in continental Europe don't have any sense when it comes to security??

seems like it. Handy place to store a bomb.

If I recall correctly the bombs on London Underground and Madrid were "stored" on people. Perhaps we should get rid of them from the railways aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

what was the excuse for stopping them in Heuston, there were almost full unless you get there first thing in the morning.

"security" is the biggest cop out if that was the reason. I don't think anybody would want to bomb Irish Rail stations. Same risk apply to storing baggage on trains.

This just adds to the list of things why using a train is made very inconvenient.

To be fair there are left luggage facilities within 5 minutes of both stations - it is hardly the end of the world!

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    To be fair there are left luggage facilities within 5 minutes of both stations - it is hardly the end of the world!

As another poster stated, it's just one more thing that inconveniences rail travelers. There's no excuse for it anymore than there's one for charging people extra to travel into the city centre by bus because Heuston's out in the suburbs.

Most left luggage facilities I've used in recent years in both the UK and on the continent have all required security scans and staffed facilities.

I suspect that this is a cost that IE feel is not one they want to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

BenShermin wrote: »
    If I recall correctly the bombs on London Underground and Madrid were "stored" on people. Perhaps we should get rid of them from the railways aswell?

Indeed, getting rid of people with bombs would work. You left yourself right open to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Most left luggage facilities I've used in recent years in both the UK and on the continent have all required security scans and staffed facilities.
    I've used left luggage in stations in both Germany and Denmark in recent months, and neither have required any such thing. Both were fully automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Alun wrote: »
    I've used left luggage in stations in both Germany and Denmark in recent months, and neither have required any such thing. Both were fully automatic.

Pfft when have Germany or Denmark been able to operate a system in an efficient manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Morf wrote: »
    Pfft when have Germany or Denmark been able to operate a system in an efficient manner?

Well the Germans were fairly efficient back in the earlier to mid part of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I suspect that this is a cost that IE feel is not one they want to bear.

Understand that staff are needed but there is lots of staff in Heuston station doing nothing most of the time. How many are sitting at the information desk day in day out.

I don't agree about scanning facilities. Only in high risk places and baggage is scanned and many high speed services in Europe scan baggage boarding trains. This is for security reasons and if there was such risks here it would happen.

There is no security risks in Ireland while there is staff available, it took in money for IE.

They were more less automatic in Heuston so staffing plays a very small roll.

The UK is in a world of it's own. £8 and a security check last time I had to use it over there. Never again!

Regarding the continent, what countries were you security checked in? I've used lockers in Brussels, Amsterdam, Ljubljana, Warsaw, and a on ferry between Tallinn and Helsinki in the last year or two and all were under €4 and none had security checks.

Indeed, getting rid of people with bombs would work. You left yourself right open to that one.

Getting rid of lockers with bombs in them would also work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Busaras might improve with a few bomb blasts.

Advertisement