Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casualties reported as plane crashes at Reno air race

Options
  • 17-09-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Always seem to be way to many of these type of accidents happening
    SKY NEWS
    Several people are feared dead after a plane crashed near or into the grandstand at the Reno Air Races in northern Nevada.
    Video apparently taken from the stands showed a plane crashing nose-down at the show after several other planes raced by in the air.
    Spectators could be heard gasping: "Oh my God."

Debris billowed near the crash site, and officials told spectators to remain where they were so emergency workers could get to the scene.
    The plane appeared to have crashed near the stands although the site of impact was not completely clear on the video.

Fire officials reported "multiple fatalities and critical injuries".
    BBC
    More than 75 people have been injured after an airplane crashed near a grandstand at an air race near Reno, Nevada, a medical official says.

The P-51 Mustang crashed at 1630 local time (2330 GMT) at the National Championship Air Races.

There are unconfirmed reports from an ABC News affiliate that 12 people are dead.

Local news broadcaster Kolo-TV said that at least six ambulances have left the airfield.

The Mustang, named "The Galloping Ghost", was flown by pilot Jimmy Leeward.

'Like a massacre'
    Stephanie Kruse, a spokeswoman for the Regional Emergency Medical Service Authority, told AP news agency that 75 people had been injured, 25 of them critically, and another 25 seriously.

Jeff Martinez, a local weatherman who was just outside the air race grounds, said he saw the plane veer to the right and then crash into the ground.

Mr Martinez said he saw "pieces and parts going everywhere".

The Reno Gazette-Journal has published a witness video of the crash posted to YouTube.

Eyewitness Dr Gerald Lent, of Reno, told the newspaper: "It's just like a massacre. It's like a bomb went off. There are people lying all over the runway.

"One guy was cut in half. There's blood everywhere. There's arms and legs. One guy just said, 'hey, there's another foot over here.'"

The National Championship Air Races are held every year in September in Reno.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Thats Seriously Tragic, in the mess that is AH, I hope that this doesn't turn into a stupid thread.

R.I.P to all those who lost their lives.

An a speedy recovery to all those hurt in the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

RIP indeed.

But this is what happens when you make sport with rediculosly dangerous machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Reminds me of the Ukrainian air show disaster a few years ago when a fighter jet plowed it's way through the crowd leaving a runway with nothing but blood and the body parts of 84 people.

Terrible stuff for those people to go through yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

RIP horrible accident

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

RIP indeed.

But this is what happens when you make sport with rediculosly dangerous machines.

P51s have been air worthy for some six decades. If they were inherently or 'rediculosly' dangerous, I think someone would have noticed by now.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's loads of vintage aircraft flying every day - Ireland and all. What's dangerous is not the aircraft, it's the way they are being flown (i.e. fast and close to the ground, and at their and the pilots limits).

WW2 planes have been and are still popular in the Reno air races for a long time because they so fast. The Hawker Sea Fury can do 400MPH +

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The pilot was either 74 or 75, which may have been a factor, but the crash investigators might find another reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The pilot was either 74 or 75.

Who was the one to let you know? They must have been sorry ever after. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

RIP to the deceased.

P51s have been air worthy for some six decades. If they were inherently or 'rediculosly' dangerous, I think someone would have noticed by now.

NTM

It's worth noting in these type of events the aircraft are often heavily modified from their original specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    Who was the one to let you know? They must have been sorry ever after. :(

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Advertisement