Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Stillorgan Bus Stop

Options
  • 18-09-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

I get my bus from here in the mornings. It is an absolute nightmare. Although buses pass every few minutes, they rarely stop to let people on as they're too full (some of them aren't even but the drivers still won't stop). If they do have to stop to let people off, they either let them off in advance of the bus stop or drive right to the end of it and then if you're lucky they might let 1 or 2 people on. There can be up to 50 people, even more sometimes at this bus stop in the mornings, trying to get in to work/college/school and often people end up giving up waiting for a bus to let them on and end up paying for a taxi, which I have had to do myself a few times. It's an absolute nightmare! I understand that for safety reasons, they can only have so many people on the bus but a) some of the bus drivers don't fill their buses and b) surely Dublin Bus can see that they badly need more buses on this route as it's an ongoing problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I've always thought there should be a few buses put on in the morning going from Stillorgan (or maybe a little before it) to the Belfield flyover. That seems to be the busy section of the route. The buses tend to drop off more people than they collect from UCD through Donnybrook and into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why don't you try getting some of the buses that join the N11 at or near Stillorgan, using the Dublin Bus real time information:

The 7b, 7d, 46e, 116 and 118 all should have more space than other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The 7's are just as full by the time they get to Stillorgan as all the 46a's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi op I understand your pain.
    A few suggestions would be to try get a few bus stops before that 1 or as said above get some of the extra numbers that come into action at Stillorgan.

Also something you may consider like a fold up bike that you could use some of the way and still get the bus if needed.

If I were you let this problem be known to DB management as they may add another bus as there does be extra work ones put on that do start from Foxrock Church.
    If enough get on about it in writing it may change things, also consider contacting local TD and NTA even though the NTA is really just a Government concoction to give their friends high paying jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

If you have a prepaid ticket (rambler etc ) go across the road get a bus coming out of town and go a couple of stops back up the road might make a difference, not ideal I know but it might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

If I were you let this problem be known to DB management as they may add another bus as there does be extra work ones put on that do start from Foxrock Church.
    If enough get on about it in writing it may change things, also consider contacting local TD and NTA even though the NTA is really just a Government concoction to give their friends high paying jobs.

Sent Dublin Bus a lovely long e-mail there re this problem. Honestly just sick of it at this stage. I leave my house in plenty of time in the morning yet end up late cos of the bloody buses. Had to get a taxi yesterday and today which I really can't afford.

Might write off to local TD aswell, that's a good idea!

In the meantime thanks for all the suggestions guys! I probably will start trying to get on the bus at an early stop and hope they are letting people on there! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Sent Dublin Bus a lovely long e-mail there re this problem. Honestly just sick of it at this stage. I leave my house in plenty of time in the morning yet end up late cos of the bloody buses. Had to get a taxi yesterday and today which I really can't afford.

Might write off to local TD aswell, that's a good idea!

In the meantime thanks for all the suggestions guys! I probably will start trying to get on the bus at an early stop and hope they are letting people on there! Cheers!

There are some drivers that just don't want to carry people and then the others that do their best to carry what they can and I can tell you it can be a thankless job at times as my dad was at it and have friends in the job.
    They could have standing passengers and then have some idiot up trying to make a show of the driver shouting it's dangerous and they have overloaded and too many on but they only say this when getting off as they would be the 1st to be shouting they didn't let them on.:confused:

Email would not be the best way I would recommend writing to the manager and general manger in Donnybrook 1st then forward same to head office and TD and NTA and if no reply send again.

Sometimes persistence does work.

There are some drivers that just don't want to carry people and then the others that do their best to carry what they can and I can tell you it can be a thankless job at times as my dad was at it and have friends in the job.
    They could have standing passengers and then have some idiot up trying to make a show of the driver shouting it's dangerous and they have overloaded and too many on but they only say this when getting off as they would be the 1st to be shouting they didn't let them on.:confused:

Yeah I know what you mean. Some drivers are great, they will stop and they shout for people to move right down the end of the bus so as they can let as many on as possible. Others drive past with buses that could clearly take a good few more standing but they just don't give a s**t. It's not like they're going to be late for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

As someone else said the busy section is from just before Stillorgan to UCD. I dont think it would be worth DB's while to service this section by a seperate bus as it practically empties at ucd. I remember a few years ago they started some 46a's off at Foxrock church so the bus was empty at this point. I wonder would it be an option for DB to send a couple of buses directly from Donnybrook garage to Stillorgan and begin from there? I'm sure its all about logistics so probably not a goer. I have often walked back a few stops in order to have a hassle free journey. Worth it if its an option.

The days of having spare buses lying around are long gone - the entire fleet is out in the morning peak.

Most of those buses empty out large loads at Foster Avenue for the Gaelscoilleanna there and also at UCD.

You probably only need a couple of buses to start there to clear the loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

lxflyer wrote: »
    The days of having spare buses lying around are long gone - the entire fleet is out in the morning peak.

Most of those buses empty out large loads at Foster Avenue for the Gaelscoilleanna there and also at UCD.

You probably only need a couple of buses to start there to clear the loads.

It isn't a huge walk then for the OP to Foster Avenue and get on the bus there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the 10a used to cover the problem fairly well too don't forget. How many buses was that every morning that never got replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean. Some drivers are great, they will stop and they shout for people to move right down the end of the bus so as they can let as many on as possible. Others drive past with buses that could clearly take a good few more standing but they just don't give a s**t. It's not like they're going to be late for anything!

Just a note on this point.....:rolleyes:

Drivers have been,and continue to be reported for being overly aggressive towards Customers who wish to stand near the (Front) door,or who stand in the Centre-Doorwell (GT),rather than taking available seating upstairs or standing towards the back of the Lower Saloon.

Anybody familiar with the Tube in London will know that Doorway blockers will get very short-shrift indeed from other passengers and will have their ears bent by P/A announcements etc..

A significant number of My Customers see no issue whatever about picking their spot and sticking rigidly to it,irrespective of the inconvenience or obstruction caused to others....What approach would YOU take to these people ??

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Just to come back on this - some advice that may help the OP.

Looking at the full timetables on the NTA website there are extra buses scheduled as follows that probably would be far easier to board:

46a from Foxrock Church: 0755, 0800, 0805, 0815 and 0820 all to Parnell Square / Mountjoy Square

46a from Brewery Road: 0810 to Phoenix Park

145 from Loughlinstown Hospital: 0740, 0750, 0800 and 0810 (taking 20 mins to Stillorgan)

Then as I mentioned above the following buses also should help:
    46e from Blackrock: 0740 and 0805 (at Stillorgan for 0752 and 0818)
    116 from Whitechurch: 0740 - at Stillorgan for 0819
    118 from Kilternan: 0745 - at Stillorgan for 0810

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Amend your working hours. I'm not even joking. Using Public Transport up and down the N11 at peak times either side of the day is a mug's game. Start an hour earlier or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I used to do this on the final few weeks of my last job in city centre, commuting from Lucan.

Journey only took me 1/2 hour each way.

At a 7.30 start and a 4.30 finish journey time was 1 hour each way.

If your job alllows an early start, put it to your boss and see what happens. Unfortunately some jobs need many people working together or outside contact with customers at peak office times so this arrangement wouldn't work.

Many people are also in jobs with weak bargaining powers and so must take what hours they get.

I have noticed this "doughnut effect" regarding public transport in Dublin, it is a doddle getting a seat and catching a bus in Lucan or other outlying areas in Dublin. Not so easy at the halfway stage on any busroute at peak times, Palmerstown, Chaplelisod etc where people have to wait for 2nd bus and are told "full-up" on a regular basis. Only upside is there are more busses towards the centre as routes converge and catchment areas come together in a radial pattern towards the centre.

I often wonder how disabled or poor walkers manage in the centre where it may be too far to walk but too small a journey for a bus to stop for pickup or too short for a taxi to bother with the run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Amend your working hours. I'm not even joking. Using Public Transport up and down the N11 at peak times either side of the day is a mug's game. Start an hour earlier or later.

The stretch from foxrock to stillorgan gets steadily busier as the morning goes on. Get on a bus before 7:45 and it is relatively easy to get a seat, after 8am, forget it.

I work 8 til 5 for this very reason.

doolox wrote: »
    I used to do this on the final few weeks of my last job in city centre, commuting from Lucan.

Journey only took me 1/2 hour each way.

At a 7.30 start and a 4.30 finish journey time was 1 hour each way.

If your job alllows an early start, put it to your boss and see what happens. Unfortunately some jobs need many people working together or outside contact with customers at peak office times so this arrangement wouldn't work.

Many people are also in jobs with weak bargaining powers and so must take what hours they get.

I have noticed this "doughnut effect" regarding public transport in Dublin, it is a doddle getting a seat and catching a bus in Lucan or other outlying areas in Dublin. Not so easy at the halfway stage on any busroute at peak times, Palmerstown, Chaplelisod etc where people have to wait for 2nd bus and are told "full-up" on a regular basis. Only upside is there are more busses towards the centre as routes converge and catchment areas come together in a radial pattern towards the centre.

I often wonder how disabled or poor walkers manage in the centre where it may be too far to walk but too small a journey for a bus to stop for pickup or too short for a taxi to bother with the run?

To be fair why you have on most QBCs routes that feed into it along the way - Lucan has the 26 at Palmerston, the N3 has the 122, etc.

The problem with the N11 is that there is a long gap without a significant extra route between Foxrock Church and UCD.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

A lot of people can't just amend their working hours!

OP - what time are at the stop when you cannot get on?

• Advertisement

OP - what time are at the stop when you cannot get on?

Anytime after 8 you'd be doing well to get on one

As I said - try to aim for the buses that I've listed in post 15 - they will have lighter loads.

Otherwise, it's get out a little earlier I'm afraid.

This happens every year when the schools and colleges return. It does tend to ease back a bit as we move into October.

As I said - try to aim for the buses that I've listed in post 15 - they will have lighter loads.

Otherwise, it's get out a little earlier I'm afraid.

This happens every year when the schools and colleges return. It does tend to ease back a bit as we move into October.

Thanks for that list of other buses!

Advertisement